Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[2.02] Explosions originate inside blocks, phase through 1m thick walls
2017-08-29, 09:53 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-08-29 09:54 PM by draba.)
[2.02] Explosions originate inside blocks, phase through 1m thick walls
To reproduce:
  • Spawn in the chair of the attached blueprint
  • Fire either weapon group 1 or 2 (PAC and APS) at the HA wall
  • The explosion doesn't damage the block it hits, only the 4 neighbors and blocks on either side of the wall.
    If the wall is more than 1m thick most of the damage is lost.
It happens on most shots, but not 100% reliable.

[Image: pt0xL5yl.jpg] [Image: Ns9syKKl.jpg]
[Image: GSCY4j3l.jpg]

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  0_HE_test.blueprint (Size: 109.26 KB / Downloads: 4)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-30, 10:53 AM
RE: [2.02] Explosions originate inside blocks, phase through 1m thick walls
If I remember well the algorithm, it begins by finding the neighbors around the center of the explosion, and then process them.
I don't remember it to process the first block, and I'm pretty sure I've dutifully transferred the bug in my faster algorithm... I should be more careful with my copy/paste Wink

If it's really that, it,'s not that easy to fix properly.
I mean, fixing the fact that the first block isn't hit is easy, trivial even.
But avoiding the explosion to go through the wall if no block on the wall is destroyed will be tricky.
You need to know the direction of the shot, and I think that this information is lost when the explosion description object is generated.
That means that this part of the fix has to be done a bit earlier in the code.
2017-08-30, 12:29 PM
Yep, this is a quirk with determining the starting cell of the explosion, center not being hit is pretty insignificant.

Yould you check if you can reproduce this one? Don't remember seeing anything like this before dicking around with the explosion mod.
After deleting all mods and redownloading FtD data it still persists, but no one running into it before raises a few red flags.
2017-08-30, 02:01 PM
(2017-08-30 12:29 PM)draba Wrote:  Yep, this is a quirk with determining the starting cell of the explosion, center not being hit is pretty insignificant.

Yould you check if you can reproduce this one? Don't remember seeing anything like this before dicking around with the explosion mod.
After deleting all mods and redownloading FtD data it still persists, but no one running into it before raises a few red flags.

Probably nobody ever saw it.
For one, I hadn't until you show it to me.

You've probably seen it only now because you're currently looking more closely at explosions since you're playing with alternate algorithms.

Anyway, considering the algorithm, it's normal that it works like that.
There's probably something in the code to prevent a shell for exploding inside a block (the raycasting probably), but it probably fail in some odd cases, probably linked with the velocity of the shell.