Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[SS] Rhea (Regular {50fp})
2017-08-30, 11:08 PM
RE: [SS] Rhea (Regular {50fp})
Cool - and it doesn't matter anyway, because this is a SS ship & if the designer wanted torps on turrets, it gets torps on turrets Tongue. I'd have put them fixed, somewhere in the acres of sloping superstructure, but I don't build SS ships yet...

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy & light tanks 18/11/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-31, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-08-31 03:11 PM by Wogsethan.)
Well the best way to do the rotating mounts, like those used on the ships that were mentioned before (Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, Gneisenau), as well as the Takao (who directly inspired her amidship's launcher slits) is to use a turret. Also, on "Rhea" being a name that doesn't fit, perhaps, but the SS naming scheme is already very broad and varied, and despite being the name of someone particularly dear to me, it is also the name of a celestial body within our solar system, so i don't think its too out there.

o7
2017-09-01, 06:19 PM
Even during WWI and WWII, submarines mostly used bow-mounted torpedoes. They used gyroscopic guidance only - the equivalent in FTD would be a One Turn, but with a lot more pre-launch target course prediction.
2017-09-02, 02:34 AM
The Germans ( at least, I've never read up on allied sub ops ) had acoustic homing torpedos during WW2, sufficient that the allies developed countermeasures. I'm going to guess that they still needed to be fired in the right direction though.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy & light tanks 18/11/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2017-09-04, 04:42 PM
(2017-09-02 02:34 AM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  The Germans ( at least, I've never read up on allied sub ops ) had acoustic homing torpedos during WW2, sufficient that the allies developed countermeasures. I'm going to guess that they still needed to be fired in the right direction though.

This is true, but the acoustic torpedoes in question weren't used by the Axis until 1943, and dumb torpedoes continued to be used during this time period by both sides, and beyond. In fact, the second most recent ship sunk by a torpedo was sunk by an unguided torpedo, launched from a nuclear-powered attack submarine, during the Falklands War.
2017-09-05, 12:02 AM
Updated the OP with new update. Attached the secondary range finder up because....complaints.
Some AI tweaks so Rhea stops showing off her butt in combat. Left the inefficient torpedos since thats a nice nerf, same with the turrets. Fixed some weird loading issue where 1 of them loaded half way.

If thread is cancer, run awey quik and let dem otder pepple deep wit it.
-Lemming 2k16 (Inner grammar Nazi intensifies)
(2016-03-27 12:23 PM)BaronBaconeer Wrote:  8/10 Builds things. BIG things. Will possibly cause someone's computer to crash in the future.