Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lasers & Orbital Weaponry
2017-08-13, 09:01 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-08-13 04:48 PM by LexieAssassin.)
Lasers & Orbital Weaponry
I tried making a laser satellite but I honestly don't really understand how lasers work in From the Depths, nor really how to make a satellite 'work' for lack of a better word. I thought I might be able to use a design off of the workshop but it was less an actual satellite and more a satellite-looking airship/hovercraft thingy. (Plus, it used exclusively fuel engines, which I haven't used since the steam engines were added to the game for various reasons.) It did however feature a very powerful 'bank' of lasers which I sort of took as inspiration for my design, however something odd happened. In a 8x8 diamond of lasers, the fire control computer lists only 13 weapons, and none of them will fire when I press ctrl. Looking over the system nothing shows as disconnected, and near as I can tell, everything is hooked up properly. I also tried replacing it with an EMP CRAM cannon (despite not having messed with CRAMs before), but that introduces considerable recoil once the shell reaches enough velocity to reach the surface before despawning, which I do not know how to counter other than via manual control. (That has it's problems too, I haven't figured out what all the directions are mapped to on the thrust controller, other than T/G being forward/backward, which in this particular case is down/up, respectively.) It also had the problem of taking ~8:20 to full pack the round, though I did notice that it seemed to stop accumulating EMP damage before it was fully packed. Basically, what I'm wanting it to do in combat is to stay at a fixed altitude (~1.2-1.4KM) and point straight down. If it cannot hit a target, then I'd like it to translate over to get above the target. I'm just not sure how to do this without resorting to LUA scripting and I don't know LUA.

LexieAssassin

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  LazSat 1.blueprint (Size: 340.27 KB / Downloads: 4)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-13, 10:19 AM
RE: Lasers & Orbital Weaponry
Please use default font as it is easier to read than that.
2017-08-13, 04:49 PM
(2017-08-13 10:19 AM)Fernir Wrote:  Please use default font as it is easier to read than that.

Hirmh... Is this better?

LexieAssassin
2017-08-13, 10:02 PM
Just use normal font, like everyone else

Now, to the question, i took a look and...

1) There are NO LCW's around laser firing piece (But i dont think they are mandatory though)
2) Laser optics cannot move around or angle their shoot (So when i press attack game tells me that the weapon cannot fire in that direction
3) Lasers dont even have a energy to actually fire
4) Laser system is a large mess of connected parts (You cannot have that, each laser combiner should be separated from others or else...)

[Image: T6NLijm.jpg]

Solution - Redesign the whole thing
After about 102 seconds of removing redundant maze of parts i managed to activate one of the lasers and successfully manually fired it (Without LCW)
[Image: mnJzCje.jpg]

Tutorial for lasers :
http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...p?tid=8929

[Image: vP4vDHc.png]

Check out my Zrytix, Land RTS
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-13, 10:03 PM
Sorry, but simply, for most problems, the solution is the vehicle overhaul. So, take your time

[Image: vP4vDHc.png]

Check out my Zrytix, Land RTS
2017-08-14, 07:54 AM
My two cents (and not rapping):

I think you want a lot of laser rays, but heaping laser combiners isn't the right solution.
The philosophy of lasers as I see is a bulky system to charge up laser power (from batteries!), and a small delivery system (turret) you radiate the energy into.
The bulky part raises overall energy of the laser, amount depending on storing parts, speed raised by pumps, and laser pulser parts setting up how often it can expend that energy from continous (20shots/sec) to sparsely firing ones which are more (or less) energy effective.

Also keep in mind that a low armor piercing effectively divides your actual damage by a lot (they say having double AP of what you shooting at is good).
Water and smoke also drastically reduces your damage.

The radiated laser-energy beam can travel thru on the axis of a turret block in both ways. Those little radiators (do not remember the name) can accept energy from every direction, but only radiate it into one direction.

A cost-effective laser system with a lot of beams would be the shotgun, where you set charging time to big value (10) and the laser is continous.
That way you get 20 (I think) laser rays in one second with a small 2-way turret, barrel consisting mainly accuracy parts, and a few anglers.
----------------
For satellite recoil management, I would use ion drives:
-PIDs against roll and pitch, you need to set ones at the back to reverse thruster, and the ones on the sides to left/right hand side roll, regardless of them pointing up or down
-big ion thrusters facing up and down, control set to L and O, and two control blocks for height management (if height greater than 3000 control set 12(L), if lower than 2800 control set to 15(O), that would fire them if recoil gets you higher, and spawning them at sea level would raise it)

I hope you can depitcher the information. Wink

From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73
2017-08-14, 10:45 PM
I thought I saw somewhere that it was 40/sec not 20/sec, but I could be wrong.

Interesting on the armor piercing value of the laser. I had considered adding some bits for armor penetration, but ultimately decided that I didn't want to. I was figuring on a laser that would "burn" each layer of the enemy over a large area, essentially being a large AoE DoT (Area of Effect, Damage over Time) weapon whilst being in space such that it would be unlikely to be successfully attacked by the enemy. (I once had a DWG fleet intercept a recon "sat" (it actually is just a big strategic dish with some wooden beams to mount a bunch of hot air balloons, which happens to loft it into space) and they were unable to attack it. (I finished that particular battle by jumping off the sat and manually engaging each target.) Another reason I went with a high damage but negligible penetration laser is how I envision lasers working in my faction/their universe. That being that they direct concentrated energy onto the target, which then forms a bead of plasma on it's surface from the surface material itself which thusly damages it. As such, I doubt such a laser would not likely have high penetration against most targets anyways. Either way, I should probably start with much more basic laser designs (which I'm pretty sure I know how to get working) before trying to make a super-weapon level laser. xD

As for PID, I literally don't understand them and I've never messed with them.

LexieAssassin
2017-08-15, 09:49 AM
PIDs are rather great - if they wouldn't have only ranges -180-180 only, but for roll/yaw/pitch balancing you won't wish for any better.
The important thing is what do you choose in the bottom stripe menu, the other sliders could be played with later (as usually you wish for 0 degree vertical position),
and where/how you set up thrusters/propellers for it. Then everything will be automatic.

Yepp, 40, not 20, I decided I rather write the wrong number and be corrected. Wink

Armor pierce is important, I do not like to calculate, but it's something like your damage % = laser AP/target armor (firing with 1 AP laser on a 100 armor block results 1% damage).

From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73
2017-08-15, 11:44 AM
(2017-08-15 09:49 AM)Normal69 Wrote:  PIDs are rather great - if they wouldn't have only ranges -180-180 only

That's not entirely true, you can actually achieve value ranges from -1000 to 1000 using ACB blocks, useful for higher altitude crafts, too bad we can't go over that... As long that you won't enter its interface then it won't reset to its own usual min/max

- Chances of uploading BP 1/100
- Ships/Crafts must be good looking while fighting to make fights exciting, other than having a metabrick only to make it boring...