Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My missiles are not cooperating with me...
2017-08-13, 08:47 AM
My missiles are not cooperating with me...
When doing some weapons testing, I found out that APN allows the missile to not only turn when out of fuel, but also glide. So I set to work on a 90-count volley of stealth missiles that can evade munition warners. Unfortunately, I hit a snag; the system is mounted VLS, and the missiles end up flying off into space. Will I need to mount this system on a turret/spinblock to get what I need? Or is there a method to get VLS APN to work? Here's my current iteration of this missile:

Fin/Fin/Var/Fuel/APN/TPG/EXP/LDR

The variable thruster is set to 0 ramp up and 10,000 thrust per second - acting as the ejectors for the missiles (read: a very dense cluster). My intention is to get the APN (set to 10) itself to fly the missile to the target. Neither Target Prediction Guidance or One Turn seems to work.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-13, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-08-13 09:02 AM by Skyer.)
RE: My missiles are not cooperating with me...
Laser designator thingys and one turn dont cooperate with apn

Target prediction is a must with apn use an IR head for stealth

There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.
2017-08-28, 03:06 PM
Lightbulb RE: My missiles are not cooperating with me...
(2017-08-13 08:47 AM)oventoaster955 Wrote:  When doing some weapons testing, I found out that APN allows the missile to not only turn when out of fuel, but also glide. So I set to work on a 90-count volley of stealth missiles that can evade munition warners. Unfortunately, I hit a snag; the system is mounted VLS, and the missiles end up flying off into space. Will I need to mount this system on a turret/spinblock to get what I need? Or is there a method to get VLS APN to work? Here's my current iteration of this missile:

Fin/Fin/Var/Fuel/APN/TPG/EXP/LDR

The variable thruster is set to 0 ramp up and 10,000 thrust per second - acting as the ejectors for the missiles (read: a very dense cluster). My intention is to get the APN (set to 10) itself to fly the missile to the target. Neither Target Prediction Guidance or One Turn seems to work.

I use APN for completely unpowered bombs... Fin/APN/Safety Fuse/2xEXP/IRS and that's enough to get them on target as long as they don't have to deviate too far from the drop path, no TPG needed. Try replacing your TGP with a One-Turn to get them heading in the right direction and see if the APN and your seeker can do the rest from there.
2017-08-28, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-08-28 04:28 PM by Richard Dastardly.)
Unless you're using a radar head you probably need one-turn for VLS - you may want to raise the guidance initial delay also until the missile is aiming in roughly the right direction. I have a suspicion the LDR also needs the missile to be pointing in roughly the right direction but I've hardly used those things. I also suspect TPG & APN are going to fight each other ( they're both guidance modules ) so try ditching TGP.

Edit: one-turn+LDR is actually working - I use maximum ramp for the thruster so the missile has a chance to turn before accelerating, and guidance delay of about 2. Haven't tried it with different seeker heads yet. What also seems to work is no one-turn, just LDR+APN, max ramp time, and guidance delay of about 3 - so I was wrong about LDR, that is good to know.

Examples attached.

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  RD Fitting plat - glide missiles.blueprint (Size: 41.3 KB / Downloads: 2)

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy tanks 23/10/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - post processing gives me eyestrain at sea.
2017-08-28, 05:24 PM
Thanks for your suggestions.

Eventually, I decided to mount my missile on a spinblock, aimed 30 degrees upward. Also, I made the missiles into interceptors. Now my ship doesn't have to worry about any missile at all.
2017-08-28, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-08-28 05:44 PM by Richard Dastardly.)
It looks like interceptors take out gliding missiles anyway ( my anti-torp torps are leaping out of the water to grab these in the glide phase ) so they're not guaranteed to break through defenses. Now I have to fit interceptors to everything as well as LAMS... active defense is getting crazily expensive.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy tanks 23/10/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - post processing gives me eyestrain at sea.
2017-08-30, 09:21 AM
While designing a corvette for the campaign, I think I managed to pull off what I wanted, thanks for your help.

Here's the design:
3Fin/Var/2Fuel/APN/OT/HE/Radar

Settings:
Guidance delay 4, Ramp time 0, Thrust 10,000.
2017-08-30, 08:18 PM
You don't need OT if you are in radar lock range, if you're using a radar head. Currently radar lock range is a bit buggy, from testing, I've had stuff lock on to low signature targets from several km out. Passive radar will pick up missile radar heads so gliding is not going to do much for the missile.