Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Small guns and Misslies
2017-08-15, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-08-15 06:35 PM by draba.)
RE: Small guns and Misslies
(2017-08-14 06:15 PM)Lincrono Wrote:  
(2017-08-14 02:46 PM)Dahak Wrote:  So, quick technical note, but bounces don't hurt your damage at all. The frag still deals whatever damage it is supposed to do. It just loses less damage potential and changes direction.

A shell that bounces has, by nature, not expended it's damage potential and therefore represents a damage loss because the damage is dependent on Cos(theta). When upwards of 90% of your projectiles are bouncing that adds up to a significant number especially if the rounds are unfused explosives, like those used by the first two game factions.

A shell can only bounce if it has less damage than what would be needed to kill the outermost block.
Final kinetic damage is the same both on ricochet and straight hit, the difference is that on a richochet projectiles do not lose all their damage potential and can go on for another potential hit.
Wording can get slightly tricky, TL;DR is projectiles will never do more than their nominal kinetic damage but ricochets actually increase damage done.

That said, small shells could use some love.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-16, 06:41 AM
RE: Small guns and Misslies
(2017-08-15 06:34 PM)draba Wrote:  
(2017-08-14 06:15 PM)Lincrono Wrote:  
(2017-08-14 02:46 PM)Dahak Wrote:  So, quick technical note, but bounces don't hurt your damage at all. The frag still deals whatever damage it is supposed to do. It just loses less damage potential and changes direction.

A shell that bounces has, by nature, not expended it's damage potential and therefore represents a damage loss because the damage is dependent on Cos(theta). When upwards of 90% of your projectiles are bouncing that adds up to a significant number especially if the rounds are unfused explosives, like those used by the first two game factions.

A shell can only bounce if it has less damage than what would be needed to kill the outermost block.
Final kinetic damage is the same both on ricochet and straight hit, the difference is that on a richochet projectiles do not lose all their damage potential and can go on for another potential hit.
Wording can get slightly tricky, TL;DR is projectiles will never do more than their nominal kinetic damage but ricochets actually increase damage done.

That said, small shells could use some love.

roger, the way it's worded elsewhere makes it seem like they deal differing amounts of damage but you are correct. a bounce is doing the same as a straight hit in my tests, though shots fired at differing angles deal different amounts. I don't think i'd had grounds to really dig so far i'd notice that before.

-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply