Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
[2.01] Physics is an absolute mess.
2017-08-08, 03:47 PM
[2.01] Physics is an absolute mess.
I went to check the new gravity mechanics and found this serious bug.

Air density is 1.0 up to 300, then drops to -1.0 (yes, that is a negative one-point-oh) and starts climbing back up to 0 at 1100, then keeps rising.

Then the gravity that's supposed to kick in at really high altitudes works...more or less normal, except for the fact that it also has no upper limit and also keeps rising to over 4.5 at 5000m. (Air density is 4.8 up there. I laughed hard and shut the thing down at that point.)

Seriously, all the calculations were working fine, so all that was needed was a copy-paste of the if-else blocks for the extra gravity calculation.
(Maybe an extra if-else block that encompass them all for the exponential air density and gravity, which I don't think I saw before.)

There was 0 reason anyone would have even needed to tamper with any of the calculations to make those changes.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-08, 05:48 PM
RE: [2.01] Physics is an absolute mess.
That would explain why alot of both my and faction aircraft are having issues. They hit 300m and pinwheel uncontrollably.
2017-08-09, 10:06 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-08-11 08:53 AM by Normal69.)
Yesterday just my eyebrows were raised above 300ms, as my airship reverse hopped at 300 - luckily it is double stabilized by acb+dediblades and ion drives+pids.
Not a big problem as it usually at 360m while butchering, but was a strange sight. Smile

The Holy Hotfix came, everything seems to be in order.

From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73

"Why did you reposted your question, there is a thread for that already"
versus
"Why didn't you made a new topic, instead necroing this one"
Humanz Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-09, 07:02 PM
I think this problem is made worse by the massive increase in lift generated by wings, my aircraft have to point downwards just to keep a steady altitude, seems like the devs don't know how angle of attack works.
2017-08-10, 05:10 AM
There was a hotfix that solved the issue.

The wings are probably a different issue, but I think the lift increase to wings was to have you put more ailerons (which also got buffed) on the aircraft instead, so you have massively increased maneuverability while still having the same amount of lift as before.
2017-08-10, 07:28 AM
(2017-08-09 07:02 PM)Liondrome Wrote:  I think this problem is made worse by the massive increase in lift generated by wings, my aircraft have to point downwards just to keep a steady altitude, seems like the devs don't know how angle of attack works.

(2017-08-10 05:10 AM)Berserk Knight Wrote:  There was a hotfix that solved the issue.

The wings are probably a different issue, but I think the lift increase to wings was to have you put more ailerons (which also got buffed) on the aircraft instead, so you have massively increased maneuverability while still having the same amount of lift as before.

FtD doesn't use hydro/aerodynamic equations to calculate lift. FtD uses drag + speed for most calculations, the deflection of the air flow through an angled aerodynamic surface doesn't matter.

(2017-06-19 03:02 PM)Guaibee Wrote:  Every once in a while I see a surge of replies on multiple threads from the same person...
spooling up reply surge...
2017-08-10, 08:45 AM
(2017-08-09 07:02 PM)Liondrome Wrote:  I think this problem is made worse by the massive increase in lift generated by wings, my aircraft have to point downwards just to keep a steady altitude, seems like the devs don't know how angle of attack works.

that's bullshit, no plane fly inclined upward to get lift at cruise speed, the angle of attack to generate lift at cruise speed/altitude is built in the wing themselves so the plane can stay level. leave that fucked aoa implementation to ksp, I'm quite happy we have for once working lifting surfaces in a game. (but I agree they went quite overboard with the tuning)

gets high on math
2017-08-10, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-08-10 09:29 AM by Tyr3n.)
(2017-08-10 08:45 AM)LoSboccacc Wrote:  

that's bullshit, no plane fly inclined upward to get lift at cruise speed, the angle of attack to generate lift at cruise speed/altitude is built in the wing themselves so the plane can stay level. leave that fucked aoa implementation to ksp, I'm quite happy we have for once working lifting surfaces in a game. (but I agree they went quite overboard with the tuning)

Why do you call it bullshit? Technically he is right. No plane has to use a negative angle of attack to stay level in RL, neither does a craft usually do that in FtD.

I think we have to overthink the placement of the wing parts a bit to compensate for the way more effective wings, though.

(2017-06-19 03:02 PM)Guaibee Wrote:  Every once in a while I see a surge of replies on multiple threads from the same person...
spooling up reply surge...
2017-08-10, 10:18 AM
Here is a really helpful guide explaining the effect of wing placement(it's from KSP, but still) http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/inde...-pictures/
Before the buff, wings had such a negligible effect on the plane, but now they do have an effect, and its likely that no one bothered where they put their wings before.
2017-08-10, 12:32 PM
As Berserk Knight suggested, the best fix to craft is simply to replace most of the wing parts with ailerons, too many and your craft will keep increasing in altitude untill it reaches 0 air density and 0 gravity and become stuck there. Still it was amusing to make an aircraft with lots of wing parts and then using a pitch PID to maintain level flight with an AoA of -24.5. Lets just multiply the amount of lift magically generated by 8, what could possibly go wrong.