Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
The Eye of the Beholder (Revamp)
2017-07-23, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-02 06:27 PM by spartinpants42.)
The Eye of the Beholder (Revamp)
(Outdated) This is the Gimbal, another gimmick I've wanted to try for a while. Using a good number of light blocks, I can make good use of the two-axis turret by making a CRAM that is able to aim in all directions except directly backwards. This is a work in progress, as this is the third thrustercraft I have ever made, and I cannot get it to stabilize properly. I've had thoughts about replacing the CRAM with a laser, but I haven't touched that either. Other than that, it is equipped with a 160mm HESH cannon (that I also haven't finished) and 8 dual simple autocannon turrets, six on the bottom and two to either side of the CRAM. (Outdated)

Full New Edit:
Craft is now the Eye of the Beholder; I've named it this because of the eye, and I think it looks cool. Or at least I did. Is it normal to look at something for so long and have it lose it's appeal? Oh well, another layer to the eye pun.
Engine is from JeminiZero's test raft: http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...?tid=23870

(More pictures attached at bottom)
(It has been painted since these photos)

VARIOUS STATS:
Block Count:5868
Volume:9181.2
Material Cost: 91438
Material Burn: Steam Engines 3mt/s, Ammo Makers 70mt/tick (35 makers in all)
Length: 77 Blocks/Meters? Let's go with meters.
Wingspan: 33 Meters
Max Speed: ~45m/s
Cruising Alt: ~350m

ARMAMENT:
Piercing PAC, Four 35m Piping at 15.7k Energy each for 63k Damage each
One Four-barreled 160mm AdvC at 200RPM, 3/4 Sabot, 1/4 EMP
Six Six-Barreled 28mm AdvC at 600RPM, HE w/ Flak Head, Belt-fed
Six 4m Frag/Radar Missiles, Mid-range

It can defeat any and all faction planes with some ease, but it struggles against similarly-sized ships. I have not tested it against larger targets. Can water start, even upside-down. Can stay airborne despite damage (exception below).

Major problems: Fuel seems to be destroyed frequently, leading to shortages. When PAC and 160mm turrets pop, it causes major pitch issues leading to crashes. The 28mm turrets routinely pop due to the explosive rounds, however ejectors were unsuccessfully attached.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.blueprint  The Eye of the Beholder.blueprint (Size: 303.72 KB / Downloads: 6)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-24, 03:22 AM
RE: The Gimbal (WIP)
Huge improvements! Replaced CRAM with explosive particle cannon and a second Hercules engine prefab, fixed ALL problems with the various guns shooting themselves, and added several new shields to the craft. Also, it can now liftoff from water with no help! Takes awhile to level back out. Still has some problems with turning, and the Adv. Cannon still needs work. It also guzzles gas. However, it takes down flying squirrels like nobody's business! I've only tested it up to five, but it seems like to can take more, especially once it's done.

I'm also thinking of renaming it, to "The Eye of the Beholder." I'm excited about painting it accordingly! Any thoughts?

.blueprint  Gimbal.blueprint (Size: 211.11 KB / Downloads: 7)
2017-07-24, 04:06 AM
That is an interesting idea. Going to take a closer look after I finish my Cruiser Clash entry

(Is in your ship, stealing your turrets!)

Mods/extra blocks

After Cataclysm (and the separate 'railings' mod as well)
Dynamic Kinetics Simple Re-skin (armored glass)
Wrought Iron Armor
Structural Foam
Aero-alloy
More Corners 0.3
2017-07-24, 06:20 PM
More improvements! Adv Cannon is now as efficient as I can make it, tips would be nice. More shields! I've heard it's better to place several smaller shields than place a few big ones, but I'm starting to run out space to put things... It's painted! The ball is now a bloodshot green eyeball, with tendons leeching onto the craft. (I'll texture it to look more like that later.) It turns more reliably! It can't outrun Dragon's Teeth, but it can stay in the air after losing a turbine and a half.

As I've been testing further, it seems like it only does better against large numbers of smaller craft, and not so well against a single cruiser or battleship. This leads me to believe that the Particle Cannon is under-powered, but I cannot get the batteries charged fast enough to sustain more powerful shots. It may be able to, but that's assuming that the battle doesn't last more than a few minutes, as the current model can stay firing constantly for about seven or eight.

On the flip side, the AdvC seems to have all the ammo it needs, so I will turn the storage down from 105 to about 90, and see how it turns out. In addition, I've been thinking about getting rid of the Simple Autocannons, as while they provide a decent spam, they just don't seem to be doing much against even two-layered metal. Maybe I should replace them with low-strength Flak Railguns? Then change the AdvC into an AP instead of HESH? Any suggestions?

.blueprint  Gimbal.blueprint (Size: 213.49 KB / Downloads: 7)
2017-07-24, 08:34 PM
You could replace the autocanons with high gage no-loader cannons. I find they are great for small side guns. But I wouldn't use rails. They are better for kinetic kill or sabot guns (or improving accuracy on short barrel guns).

"If you are on both sides, you will always win; if you are on no side, you will never loose."

(2017-07-08 08:25 PM)benzo711 Wrote:  I really only agree with 4m being long enough because I'm lazy and I don't want to have to retrofit everything
2017-07-25, 12:35 AM
Two steps forward, two steps back...
It's the most stable it's ever been, but for some reason it eventually either nose-dives or stalls indefinitely, even though it's faster and has more control surfaces...
I replaced the Autocannons with AdvC as per SomeGuyOnTheInternet's suggestion, the front two with gravity rams, the bottom six with standard AP. However, something went screwy with the AI, and now they won't fire, even under direct player control...
At the very least I gave it it's final name, "The Eye of the Beholder."

I double checked the AI, and it seems to be fine. Can someone triple check to see if they have a similar problem on their machine? I may just have to chalk this up to 'big update instability.'

I may have to abandon the massive spin blocks, as they seem to be the source of the stalling and nose-diving. I can remake them into non-spin-block jet wings, but at that point it is no longer a thrustercraft and becomes an incredibly heavy aircraft with not enough engine power.

.blueprint  The Eye of the Beholder.blueprint (Size: 241.05 KB / Downloads: 8)
2017-07-26, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-07-26 02:40 PM by SomeGuyOnTheInternet.)
Ok, so I loaded it up, and I am fairly impressed. Love the eye! The no-loader cannons fire on my end, so I recommend you restart your game and try again. Also, I noticed that the PAC was set on explosive shock. I prefer impact, or piercing, or EMP. But not explosive shock. Just saying. It was fairly stable when flying, maintaining altitude and whatnot, but when I did a combat test, it rolled onto it's side. I didn't test it for that long, so I might have overlooked something. How long does it take to crash? Also, I wouldn't give up on the spin blocks just yet. They make the craft feel more unique and look more interesting.

"If you are on both sides, you will always win; if you are on no side, you will never loose."

(2017-07-08 08:25 PM)benzo711 Wrote:  I really only agree with 4m being long enough because I'm lazy and I don't want to have to retrofit everything
2017-07-27, 04:30 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-07-27 04:31 AM by spartinpants42.)
Huzzah! Everything is fixed! The odd stalling and diving were just a problem with my game, as well as the turrets bugging out. As for falling out of the sky, it will take about two knocked-out turbines to start losing altitude, but destroying one of the back ones will cause it to stall. However, I made the important discovery that ailerons attached to spinblocks don't work, so adding a few to the back will keep it steady mid-combat, and if allowed to repair its' turbines, will also re-level the craft. No more dives!

The shields on the craft are very effective, but I noticed most enemies aimed for the rear gun. In response to this, I created a more sleek turret design, and will add two more shields on the back with the remaining engine power. I've also removed twelve ammo crates, which were next to the front of the back turbine. I've added another layer of armor to each side in their place, thus reinforcing an area of the craft I worried was under armored.

Iv'e also added to the aesthetics, using deep red HA to represent large veins on the craft, which make it look more organic, as it is no longer perfectly symmetrical.

I think I'm nearing the final version of The Eye of the Beholder, let me know of any tweaks to make it more efficient.

.blueprint  The Eye of the Beholder.blueprint (Size: 256.13 KB / Downloads: 6)
2017-07-27, 01:58 PM
Nice idea, very innovative.

Find me here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose#Populations

[Image: unknown.png]
2017-07-28, 03:42 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-07-28 05:05 AM by spartinpants42.)
Final design! I think!

Added detection systems! That means this design is good to go for campaign! Added three 9m armored rangefinders, one for each weapon group. Added various systems for the specific groups, mostly radar and laser trackers.

Added 12m of piping (6 each) to the PAC, and changed to AP shots! There is a chair and a remote control unit, but you can't get out of the vehicle to capture stuff.

I'm a rookie! I accidentally put ailerons where tailplanes should have gone, and vice-versa. This has been fixed, which in addition to some other tweaks has made it incredibly stable, and it flies straight!

Last change: RTGs! I removed one of the prefab engines and replaced it with about six 4 meters and four 2 meters, in addition to more batteries and electric engines, as well as some surge protectors.

I think this design is done, so what would it classified as? A thrustercraft cruiser? A small flying battleship? Something you build when you have more material than you know what to do with?

I'm not going to add photos, as it has not dramatically changed (visually) since the last upload.

EDIT: Kept flipping over again. Well, if I learned anything from building this craft, it's that I should either build lighter or larger, as this thing has basically turned into a massive balancing act. Added four more RTG 4m, two large thrusters, put ailerons in the eyeball, added simple wings to the end. It now flies at 50m/s, and can ascend 350m without flipping over now. Can no longer take off from water, even though the spin blocks can provide more lift. It just requires intensive tweaking, but I would rather not entirely re-design the precarious thruster system underneath it. Changed attachment.
Edit 2: Missing block.Oops!

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  The Eye of the Beholder.blueprint (Size: 275.91 KB / Downloads: 7)