Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Phalanx Class Airship(30+ Hours Spent)
2017-07-17, 11:08 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-07-18 07:43 PM by JakeTheDj.)
Phalanx Class Airship(30+ Hours Spent)
As this is my first vehicle post, here is a little introduction:

My first vehicle I dubbed 'PRIDE', it was a ship where everything but the hull was other peoples modular designs and patched it together; a crappy design ethic that repeated itself over and over. Recently I tried to design a ship with knowledge of aps systems but nothing else, it failed.

This time however I came back with determination to finish the craft properly, and advanced knowledge of lasers, PIDs, detection systems, and turret field of fire. However the one thing I still can't understand all that well are the inline-turbocharger based fuel engines; so credit to KuramaFox for their Kitsune Twin Engine.

Now onto the actual build:
[Image: L88PxOj.jpg]

Core Stats:
  • Cost: ~232k
  • Volume: ~13k
  • Max Speed: ~40 m/s
  • Altitude: 200m normally, but rises 300m if an enemy is above 150m: a failsafe to prevent high-flying enemies like Novgorod from getting the jump on you.
  • Power: ~20000 from fuel engines(for fighting), and ~4500 from RTGs(for relocating)
Note: THIS THING GUZZLES FUEL WHEN FIGHTING AND IS ONLY MADE UP FOR IN IT'S RTG PROPULSION, also this was not made with localized resources in mind

Armament:
  • 3x Ico(Eye-Coh) Class Shotgun
  • 2x Trico(Tree-Coh) Class Shield Buster(Radial Version)
  • 2x Mono(Moh-Noh) Class AA Gun(Elevation Limits To Prevent Clipping the Tricos' Barrels)
  • 8x Emp Missiles
  • 4 Individual AI to maximize the efficiency of the Tricos' field of fire limits and the limits of Monos as well
Ico: [Image: XRDY8U6.jpg]

Trico: [Image: RrUJbLq.jpg]

Mono: {pssst; I'm lazy so look in the top right corner of the above image}

Defenses:
  • 2x C.I.E. Core Lams(Dunno how many nodes there are)
  • Lots of Laser/Smoke Defenses
  • 8 Pairs of Shields(average strength setting of 3)
  • 40m/s of Speed to Dodge Crams
  • A Water Recovery system that, despite all its problems, is as effective as I could get it to be.

Water Recovery Propellers: [Image: QDhXfNn.jpg]

Water recovery Roll Propellers: [Image: V9bGoIe.jpg]

Constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Phalanx Class Airship.blueprint (Size: 376.33 KB / Downloads: 5)

When Will Lemming Return?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-17, 11:54 PM
RE: Phalanx Class Airship(30+ Hours Spent)
I like it a lot, although the amount of black paint in my eyes detracts from the contouring. The turret caps could use some more armor.
2017-07-18, 01:04 AM
(2017-07-17 11:54 PM)axwell Wrote:  I like it a lot, although the amount of black paint in my eyes detracts from the contouring. The turret caps could use some more armor.
The black paint is purposeful, because the contouring is crap, and I tried to make my turrets pretty for once so I made sacrifices.

2017-07-18, 11:36 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-07-18 11:37 AM by Kaonicping.)
1) I think the contours could look really nice if you used the same pattern that some in-game factions like SD and to a lesser extent LH use, namely replacing the inwards-facing slopes with triangle corners and inverted triangle corners to give a smoother look. Check the SD's Bishop to see what I mean.
[Image: cllrGb2.jpg]
2) Your LAMS cavity lines have empty spaces on the sides, if you have 3 destabs and lots of LAMS nodes you'll want as many pumps as you can get, so fill it up with 4 pumps/cavity. You also have 6 AP (I think you only need 5). And until 2.0 hits, you'll want 4 Q-switches for higher DPS (and even after 2.0 I think 4Q will still be best for LAMS).
3) I don't think your EMP/DC shells are powerful enough to take out a shield in one hit; from my calculations you'll want an EMP strength of 135 for that (you currently have 126). You also have an inertial fuse on them which I'm pretty sure is unnecessary and possibly detrimental, so you can replace it with another EMP warhead and still one-shot shields with a gauge of 235.11mm and up.
4) The RTGs are hugely expensive, I recommend you just try to get a beefier engine (removing all the RTGs, batteries and electric engines brought it down to about 160k). In my testing it doesn't guzzle fuel at all; in fact your engines are very efficient with all those inline turbos. From the same test, it didn't actually seem to need the RTGs at all (or a bigger engine for that matter).
5) Inertial frag rounds are better off with a composite head for a little extra speed.
6) Do you actually need disruptor conduit shells? If you are using inertial frags you only need DCs if the enemy has double-layered shields like the Thyr, and you could replace these DC cannons with damage-dealing rounds. However, you might have another vehicle that benefits from them.
7) Why are your engines encased in wood? They're not susceptible to EMP, and if you're worried about HESH, don't be, since it's garbage atm. It will block HEAT from spawning, but a mat of fuel engine pipes will do the same for a quarter of the cost.
8) A few more surge protectors wouldn't go amiss, especially near the laser cavities.
9) Your shielding is a bit on the thin side, ideally you'd want 2 layers everywhere even if it's strength 1-2, but in practice it's a massive pain in the arse to set up.
10) Something is claiming you have engine exhaust pipes that don't point out of the vehicle.

Overall this is a strong and well-built vehicle, good job. Smile

(2017-07-10 02:50 AM)Resolas Wrote:  Forward broadside is the best broadside Tongue

X:_;|
_:_:|:|
2017-07-18, 06:43 PM
(2017-07-18 11:36 AM)Kaonicping Wrote:  Overall this is a strong and well-built vehicle, good job. :)

Thanks Fam

Also, the first component I put down on the wood grid was the engine and its armour: in short the craft was built around the engines. The engines ARENT MINE(I would hate to steal credit) but are KarumaFox's Kitsune Twin Engines. Welp back to the deep dark designer mode to change the contours, shell type of the tricos( Might just remove 'em), and adding some pumps and storage cavities to the lasers, cuz they're bad, and wut? there weren't 4Q switches on it? welp back to the drawing board.

2017-07-18, 07:45 PM
There, I've updated the attachment

There Should be a lot of stuff improved on.