Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Did I just make the best loading system? (APS)
2017-07-17, 09:01 PM
Did I just make the best loading system? (APS)
After some experimentation, I've came up with a loader design that could beat out other systems that I have designed in the high-gauge department. The design consists of a single 8m loader with 4 racks on each side, loading 8m 500mm shells. Each rack has 3 inputs, causing at least 1 shell to be queued for loading.

After all the shells are loaded, here are the results:
  • Multiple Racks with shells loaded: 0.5
  • Autoloader complexity: 1
  • Autoloader length multiplier: 0.35
  • Total loading multiplier: 0.15

This may not seem like much (compared to the Beltfed's 0.2), but this design allows the use of 8m shells, which normally have a 60 second load time. With an 8m shell, you can do things like:
  • 70K kinetic damage on solid shells
  • Supersonic sabots with ~300m of penetration
  • HEAT shells wth ~500m penertation
  • HESH shells with 360 m/AC spalling metric.
Having that kind of power firing every 8 seconds is not something you can sleep on. Not even CRAMS can get that much DPM (at least my CRAM designs).

I'm currently building a battleship with these 500mm cannons. When it's done, I will show it off.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-17, 10:10 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-07-17 10:12 PM by Blothorn.)
RE: Did I just make the best loading system? (APS)
Four-clip autoloaders tend to be beaten in all respects by 2-3-clip autoloaders--that may be powerful, but it is categorically not "best".

(Also, with the number of gauge coolers needed to hit that RoF with that size shell, it is almost always more efficient to use more autoloaders than that.)

Allr andask.
2017-07-17, 10:42 PM
8m loader with 4 clips is 0.18 total modifier and you lose a ton of firepower unless you keep it full and volatile.
5 clipless ones: 0.53 * 1.5 / 5 = 0.159.
4-clips is the worst possible setup, slow and a massive pain to tetris.
2017-07-18, 01:12 AM
id just go with 2 clips its usually far more convienient
2017-07-18, 02:12 AM
I almost always go with 1 clip only, wasn't sure of the advantages of multiple clips before.
2017-07-18, 04:33 AM
Most of the calcs I've run have suggested two clips is the way if you can keep them full.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy & light tanks 23/11/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2017-07-18, 08:27 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-07-18 08:27 AM by draba.)
(2017-07-18 04:33 AM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  Most of the calcs I've run have suggested two clips is the way if you can keep them full.

Just use clipless, best RPM at 4m and up +doesn't need to be kept loaded.
At smaller sizes input count matters a bit more but my guess is clipless still works well for 2-3m.
2017-07-18, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-07-20 06:21 AM by Richard Dastardly.)
(2017-07-18 08:27 AM)draba Wrote:  
(2017-07-18 04:33 AM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  Most of the calcs I've run have suggested two clips is the way if you can keep them full.

Just use clipless, best RPM at 4m and up +doesn't need to be kept loaded.
At smaller sizes input count matters a bit more but my guess is clipless still works well for 2-3m.

Certainly seems clipless would be better for 6m, except my turret seems to want 3 inputs to keep up. I guess that's doable with an extra block of height, will give it a shot. ( There's also the problem with multigun turrets of keeping the loaders seperated... I am going to try a mix of 2-clip & clipless I think )

2m I'm dubious of, for the input reason.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy & light tanks 23/11/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2017-07-19, 06:15 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-07-19 06:16 PM by khkpck.)
For battleshipguns I stick eit 3 loaders and 2 clips per loader give a bit backup ammunition and gives a reload of ruffly 7.5 secs

like's strange music Tongue
2017-07-20, 09:24 AM
I built a 500mm that fired once every 8 seconds, and had about 10 rounds to fire before going through huge reload times.