Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[1.969 & 2.0] Enormous buoyancy gain after exceeding 5000 HP/blocks
2017-07-17, 05:54 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-07-17 07:39 PM by KubaAseph.)
[1.969 & 2.0] Enormous buoyancy gain after exceeding 5000 HP/blocks
(Changed title from "Enormous buoyancy gain after adding some blocks into sub's tower" to clarify the issue)

I finally managed to find out why my sub couldn't dive even if filled with lead - through almost whole day of research i found that the problem was in it's tower and more specifically was caused by blocks in specific places. For example:

Sub diving with speed of 1,3 m/s

Right after adding two blocks slowed diving to 0,2 m/s

After a couple of seconds it starts emerging

Removing blocks again, starts submerging back

So far I found also that it happens only if blocks are placed symmetrically, with only one block it doesn't happen. It also works only while underwater.

I've already redone the tower and blocked the stairwell, but it still countinues to happen. So far it happened only on this particular sub, but maybe it could be recreated in similar desing.

If you wanna check it by yourself, the example zones are painted red on the blueprint (through it happens on the whole line between them)

Blueprint:

.blueprint  U21 bez kiosku.blueprint (Size: 217.81 KB / Downloads: 4)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-17, 07:02 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-07-17 07:03 PM by Gladyon.)
RE: [1.969 & 2.0] Enormous buoyancy gain after adding some blocks into sub's tower
I think that there's a number of blocks under which the blocks have 'real' buoyancy, and above it the blocks have 'false' buoyancy (they are all processed as beams, not corners).
2017-07-17, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-07-17 07:12 PM by draba.)
RE: [1.969 & 2.0] Enormous buoyancy gain after adding some blocks into sub's tower
Yep, the 4999 blocks is telling.
After adding the 5000th all slopes/corners/wedges count as full beams for buoyancy, but not for weight.
Speeds up calculations but leads to some strange stuff just like this Smile
2017-07-17, 10:13 PM
RE: [1.969 & 2.0] Enormous buoyancy gain after exceeding 5000 HP/blocks
And Nick has explicitly said that he plans to keep this the way it is, regardless of its causing severe problems for some applications.

Allr andask.