Poll: What do you tink about the suggestion?
Good idea
Bad idea
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pendepth improvement: inrease kinetic and AP modifiers for HE/frag body
2017-07-07, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-07-07 05:26 PM by draba.)
Pendepth improvement: inrease kinetic and AP modifiers for HE/frag body
Pendepth fused APS was already pretty weak, after the armor changes it got worse despite the fuse improvements.

For reference:
- 500mm, 8 module sabot/sabot/solid/5GP shell: 36043 damage, 34.1 AP, relative strength ~123,
- 500mm, 10 module composite/solid/fuse/HE/BB/5GP shell: 30182 damage, 14.8 AP, relative strength ~44.7 with slightly longer reloadtime and 20% more ammo cost
A 500mm pendepth shell does ~1/3 the kinetic damage of it's straight kinetic counterpart, can't even break a single non-reinforced HA beam with a perfect 90° hit.

To make pendepth a bit more viable kinetic/AP modifiers on HE and frag bodies could be buffed to at least fuse level, so:
- kinetic from 0.8 to 2.5
- AP from 0.4 to 1.5
For reference, solid body is 5/2

This would mean:
- ~18.1% damage increase for a composite/solid/fuse/HE shell
- ~13% for composite/solid/solid/fuse/HE shell
- below 10% for a shell with more than 2 solids
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-14, 03:34 PM
RE: Pendepth improvement: inrease kinetic and AP modifiers for HE/frag body
Good idea
2017-07-14, 04:06 PM
It's true that it's very sad not to be able to build a good pen-depth shell.
Pre-2.0 they worked only against wood and alloy, or one layer of metal with nothing behind.

But if it becomes possible to make pen-depth shell, don't you fear that shaped charge shells will become useless?
2017-07-14, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-07-14 04:32 PM by draba.)
Note that this one is already implemented, numbes are slightly different(3.5 kinetic, 0.4 AP modifier on payloads).
This way shorter shells are a bit worse, longer ones and hollow point with HE/EMP/frag mixed in slightly better compared to the 2.5/1.5 variant.

(2017-07-14 04:06 PM)Gladyon Wrote:  It's true that it's very sad not to be able to build a good pen-depth shell.
Pre-2.0 they worked only against wood and alloy, or one layer of metal with nothing behind.

But if it becomes possible to make pen-depth shell, don't you fear that shaped charge shells will become useless?

HEAT can pen much thicker armor than pendepth, especially with short shells.
That said I think the "spawn frags proportional to the metric used" part makes HEAT impractical, see the http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...?tid=28685 suggestion.
2017-07-14, 05:10 PM
(2017-07-14 04:31 PM)draba Wrote:  Note that this one is already implemented, numbes are slightly different(3.5 kinetic, 0.4 AP modifier on payloads).
This way shorter shells are a bit worse, longer ones and hollow point with HE/EMP/frag mixed in slightly better compared to the 2.5/1.5 variant.

(2017-07-14 04:06 PM)Gladyon Wrote:  It's true that it's very sad not to be able to build a good pen-depth shell.

HEAT can pen much thicker armor than pendepth, especially with short shells.
Yes it can go further, but against ships that aren't monsters like the Blast Tyrant or others of its kind, I'm not sure it will be really useful.

That said, I'd like very much to have functional pen-depth shells, at least against small to medium ships.
It would be worth it just to see a SS expert medium-sized ship explode from within.

I was just playing devil's advocate to try to see if all bases were covered.
Speaking of that... I'm thinking about the damages dealt by a rapid-fire gun that fires effective pen-depth shells...
It would have to be censored I think.
The only drawback is the volatility of the turret, but it can be managed with some good think. And on top of that, now that I have fixed the explosion algorithm...

(2017-07-14 04:31 PM)draba Wrote:  That said I think the "spawn frags proportional to the metric used" part makes HEAT impractical, see the http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...?tid=28685 suggestion.
Sadly, I haven't played with 2.0 enough to answer the polls.
Maybe I'll have more time after the summer (and I will have to, in order to update the Topaz Wink).
2017-07-17, 03:28 AM
actually making railguns not suck could be a good way of implementing this. the problem with buffing shells to be good pen-depth is that those same buffs will be abused by spam-cannons

actually making railguns give a decent return for the energy input would be a nice way to buff the kinetic and AP damage of shells to the levels needed for good pen-depth without actually changing the shell scaling. Of course, as long as shields are tied to speed and kinetic damge/AP is linked to speed all pen-depth is essentially worthless.

-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.
2017-07-17, 04:51 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-07-17 04:51 AM by RushB.)
i like it but pendepth seems to be better than alot of other rounds with good disruptors, maybe it doesnt need a buffs