Poll: What do you think about the suggestion(numbers may change ofc)?)
Good idea
Bad idea
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Change laser optic scaling to improve short lines
2017-11-16, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-11-16 05:56 PM by Richard Dastardly.)
RE: Change laser optic scaling to improve short lines
What happens to a real laser if you don't have enough optics? dispersion, ie the beam intensity falls off, iirc. Needing more optics to reduce damage falloff rather than accuracy seems to be sensible. The targeting system we use isn't all that accurate anyway.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy & light tanks 18/11/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-16, 06:02 PM
(2017-11-16 05:55 PM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  What happens to a real laser if you don't have enough optics? dispersion, ie the beam intensity falls off, iirc. Needing more optics to reduce damage falloff rather than accuracy seems to be sensible. The targeting system we use isn't all that accurate anyway.

I like that idea a lot.
Having an almost constant/constant, very good accuracy and longer optics decreasing attenuation a bit would be a good alternative.
2017-11-16, 07:55 PM
Perhaps add another barrel type to reduce attenuation and make the current accuracy-increasing optic stronger?

2000mm HE dakka enthusiast.
2017-11-16, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-11-16 08:53 PM by Richard Dastardly.)
(2017-11-16 07:55 PM)MizarLuke Wrote:  Perhaps add another barrel type to reduce attenuation and make the current accuracy-increasing optic stronger?

Sounds overly complicated - my suggestion just removes accuracy from the equation entirely, moves from having the options of "longer barrel/move closer" to "longer barrel/move closer/make a bigger laser" ( or at least remove a q switch ).

Don't forget your detection system throws inaccuracy in anyway, especially with both the target and the weapon platform moving. Smoke would just effectively increase the target distance.

I'm sure there's gotchas to this, but at least it's a simple idea to tear down.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy & light tanks 18/11/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2017-11-16, 09:47 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-11-16 09:51 PM by Ramble6.)
(2017-11-16 03:46 PM)draba Wrote:  I think you guys are overcomplicating this, if the goal is to increase accuracy in a given amount of space there's no need to bend over backwards and invent new mechanics for it Smile
Ofc lasers could use some love but IMO this one is pretty straightforward, defenses are the bit more complicated part(even that could be a straight 90% cap on laser shield mitigation IMO).

Don't think it's really that difficult.. my idea is just requiring more of the power banks in the main setup of the laser to offset requiring shorter optics to get the same accuracy as what is currently required. Would it be too problematic? As an example maybe it takes 2/3 the optic length to get the accuracy you had on an original system. But the power of the beam would be 2/3 (made up number) so you would have to increase the number of pumps and such to around 133% of what you originally had to get that dmg you had before. Does the concept make sense? Doesn't require any new parts.

________________________________________________________________________________​_______________________
[Image: 4qThAy5l.jpg]
Yesterday, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: Yesterday 04:47 PM by draba.)
I like optics reducing attenuation a lot, an example how it could work:
  • Set laser accuracy to a fixed value, lasers are supposedly very precise so 0.1° would be fine IMO
  • Make air attenuation something like (0.5% / OPTICS_LENGTH) for each meter.
    At 500/1000/2000m distance that means:
    - 5m optics: ~61/37/13% damage
    - 10m optics: 78/61/37%
    - 20m optics: 88/78/61% (breaking even with current attenuation values)
    - 40m optics: 94/88/78%
Would remove the bigass spread and make attenuation manageable, both good very things IMO.
Also makes tiny self defense turrets viable, but really bad at long range.

(2017-11-16 09:47 PM)Ramble6 Wrote:  As an example maybe it takes 2/3 the optic length to get the accuracy you had on an original system. But the power of the beam would be 2/3 (made up number) so you would have to increase the number of pumps and such to around 133% of what you originally had to get that dmg you had before. Does the concept make sense? Doesn't require any new parts.

That's just a straight damage nerf in practice, lasers really do not need it.
When using shorter optics means needing extra 10Ks of power and cavities to match everyone will just use the same 50m+ spinal optics they do now, ships/turrets are stuck with strictly weaker weapons.
Attenuation already hits lasers at longer ranges(~74% base at 1000m, ~54% at 2000) so this would be the same, only different.