Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Turret Cap Designs Help
2017-06-18, 01:27 PM
Turret Cap Designs Help
Hi i have mixed feelings about making turret caps. Its fun sure but i often spend a lot of time just tinkering with the look of the turret caps which wastes a lot of time and i usually end up making the same looking caps which are bland imo. I always look at stuff like White Flayers turret caps and wish i could make stuff like them, but i cannot make them for shiet.
I want some inspiration and examples of really cool turret caps for medium size cannons (100mm gatling/250mm gun).
K thx bye.

Please check out my creations. I need tips.
Mediocre builder.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-06-18, 07:15 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-06-18 07:16 PM by khkpck.)
RE: Turret Cap Designs Help
some like somes maybe?

6 different ones for different sizes and functions

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

like's strange music Tongue
2017-06-19, 10:55 AM
For design aesthetics, I find looking online for designs often works, but personally for me, you can get average-decent looking turret caps by just copying real life designs, then add detail as needed for a particular theme.

At last, a great success!
2017-06-19, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-06-19 11:17 AM by Tyr3n.)
Aye, and with japanese (Kongou), american (Missouri) and german (Tirpitz/Bismarck) ww2 battleship caps you have a decent and distinguished variety of base shapes.

Try building a few of those, and then go on and "spikyfy" them Big Grin

(2017-06-19 03:02 PM)Guaibee Wrote:  Every once in a while I see a surge of replies on multiple threads from the same person...
spooling up reply surge...
2017-06-19, 01:25 PM
Sloping in towards the deck seems to do a lot if the turret is too small to put a ring around the bottom, makes the turret stand out from the deck a bit. I just mess around with blocks trying to avoid 90 degree angles, generally.

Poke my boat! pre-2.0 learning & ship catalogue thread. I will be doing other things until the eye-strain post-processing can be disabled again.
2017-06-20, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-06-20 09:31 AM by Skyer.)
A Few screenshots of how they look on my ships, Very much based on WW2

[Image: oRMcqhu.jpg]
[Image: tTIYegU.jpg]

You can put a AAA turret on top of the big ones via light blocks, that go throu the turret since they don't have collisions

[Image: kroHskI.jpg]
[Image: uekup9F.jpg]

Since I always have specified round turret rings and the gun on top is a bit slimmer it slopes from the sides.
And it has a small turret ring on the ship not only on the turret,

I definitely wouldn't say that I'm good at building fancy but I'm getting better, maybe this will help,

Over 2700 hours in building games and i still can't build fancy.
But Effective!
2017-08-16, 08:24 PM
I like having a gently sloping front on a circular base with a 45* angle upwards on the back and a thing sticking out on either side and a 9m or 7m armor rangefinder on top. It looks good and is pretty effective.
2017-08-17, 07:51 AM
(2017-08-16 08:24 PM)MizarLuke Wrote:  I like having a gently sloping front on a circular base with a 45* angle upwards on the back and a thing sticking out on either side and a 9m or 7m armor rangefinder on top. It looks good and is pretty effective.

Me too.

[Image: O2R1gvZ.jpg]