Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Depleted Uranium shells?
2017-05-20, 03:00 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-05-20 03:02 AM by volcano_sushi.)
Depleted Uranium shells?
Im not an expert on this trash, i just watched a video on it and thought it looked cool. Depleted Uranium shells are sabot shells made of uranium 238, making it exceptionally dense and great for penetrating armor. I also read that when it enters a tank, fragments of the rod shoot off of it; and on impact shred off millions of radioactive particles around the area. Read up on it so it makes sense.

The way i see this working in FtD is like a very expensive and effective sabot round. Like the regular sabot costs almost nothing and has a base armor pen of 35(?) and very little kinetic energy. On the other hand, the Du shell might cost like 1k resource or something a shot (as a base, could be more or less depending on size) and have an armor pen of 70 to 100 and a moderate kinetic yield. If you want to make it fancy, make a mini-explosion on contact and frag when it enters a spacious part of the vehicle, but thats a bit overkill, even though they do that (?) irl.

Hopefully the FtD team sees this and might actually consider it, or not idc. It just sounded cool so i have next to no idea what im talking about
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-05-20, 03:55 AM
RE: Depleted Uranium shells?
I don't see any point. Stuff like that invariably either ends up being always used because it's better, or never used because it's too expensive.
2017-05-20, 12:10 PM
(2017-05-20 03:55 AM)Unhinged mechanic Wrote:  I don't see any point. Stuff like that invariably either ends up being always used because it's better, or never used because it's too expensive.

The point i was making is that you can't afford it straight from the start, because it would be way to OP, but later in the game like white flayers or steel striders or some trash. I forgot to add the original message, but using explosives or frag or pretty anything besides the solid/sabot body type would significantly decrease its effectiveness. Yes, it is very expensive, but it would be very powerful; a 1:1 ratio. Plus if they do add it for testing, they could always tweak or remove it.
2017-05-20, 12:48 PM
Price isnt a valid reason to not use something

[Image: vP4vDHc.png]

Check out my Zrytix, Land RTS
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-05-20, 05:27 PM
God bless the USA for making it possible to create nuclear wastelands, poisoning the local population without actually setting off a nuclear warhead, just to make killing tanks a tad easier. Fan-tas-tic.

Procrastination level is over 9000
2017-05-20, 07:21 PM
Gameplay-wise, what would this bring over normal sabot with the current mechanics? DU rounds work like people tend to think HEAT does - ie, hot penetrating rounds which set everything on fire ( HEAT jets are kinetic - obviously molten metal is also hot but the damage is caused by the jet being *really* fast ). Unfortunately we don't have a "set everything on fire" mechanic yet.

If ammo is too expensive to be used early on, it's going to be too expensive to use at any point.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 07/04/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2017-05-20, 09:29 PM
Also, I think this vastly overestimates the difference between DU and other high-tech penetrators (e.g. tungsten alloys)--the fracture mechanics and incendiary effect of DU penetrators do make them slightly more effective (despite having a slightly *lower* density than tungsten), but the difference is marginal. If they had anything close to 4x the penetration, as suggested here, they would be used by every country that could get its hands on a semi-reliable supply.

Allr andask.
2017-05-21, 02:38 AM
(2017-05-20 05:27 PM)Eagle Wrote:  God bless the USA for making it possible to create nuclear wastelands, poisoning the local population without actually setting off a nuclear warhead, just to make killing tanks a tad easier. Fan-tas-tic.

America.

"Do you have a problem? Well, well, make it worse, and if you don't have a problem, well give you one!

And when a segment of your population becomes violent due to terrible living conditions and huge amounts of anger at the country that bombed the spaghetti out of you for no reason, we'll treat you all like terrorists!

Isn't freedom great?"
2017-05-21, 04:16 AM
I'd assumed solid / sabot shells were already either depleted uranium or something with a comparable penetrating power, like tungsten.
2017-05-21, 02:31 PM
Sabot rounds ingame already exist.

Just slap some fins onto it.

Bam, you have a uranium APDSFS round.