Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Stealth but not stealth
2017-05-01, 08:24 AM
Stealth but not stealth
I have built a new ship, the Banshee, which is supposed to be quite stealthy against surface ships. It pretty much is, although it cannot prevent the magic detection at the start of a battle.
What surprises me is that even with autodetection off, most if not all sensors are detecting the Banshee and the mainframe succesfully tracks it.

You might think this is due to the Banshee not really being stealth. But it is, it blockades all visual and laser equipment, and sonar and radar have a really hard time picking it up. So when manually checking every single detector to see whether they are tracking it comes up dead; not a single detector has a lock on the Banshee, often not even a small chance at detection.

The Q-menu then shows this:
[Image: fdUqcqg.jpg]

Against a non-stealth target, we would get a result as below:
[Image: EsRp65C.jpg]

What's going on here is that against the Banshee, the ship is non-detectable but IS being tracked, without officially being tracked. Under normal conventions, it should lose it's lock and procede about its normal business as if the Banshee weren't there at all.
Instead, this going about the normal business only happens when the sensors that are theoretically able to get a lock on the Banshee are destroyed...

I feel cheated. Anyone having an explanation to this? Or are we seeing a not properly implemented detection system here?

Procrastination level is over 9000
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-05-01, 08:56 AM
RE: Stealth but not stealth
Those are also startlingly good estimates; I usually see 0.2 autodetection having 200+m errors. Anyway, you are still getting sonar readings occasionally (the blue indicators), so it seems it is not perfectly stealthy by the sensor mechanics--if you watch the "targets detected" for all sonar, are they occasionally blipping? (Note that you cannot use a sensor to determine that something is never detectable, since it only shows the detection chance if it recently detected something. If it shows "0 targets tracked", it may still have a small chance of a detection.)

That said, I am also not convinced that "proceed about its normal business" is a sensible response to losing a lock--generally if a target disappears and you do not have reason to believe it was destroyed you want to stay alert, and its last known position is not a terrible guess. Stealth without mobility has to be absolutely perfect. (Although yes, it is annoying if the game is giving unavoidable detections at the start.)

Aside, why are the cameras not picking it up? I thought that smoke only worked against the visual trackers, not the wide-angle cameras.

Allr andask.
2017-05-01, 10:58 AM
(2017-05-01 08:56 AM)Blothorn Wrote:  Those are also startlingly good estimates; I usually see 0.2 autodetection having 200+m errors. Anyway, you are still getting sonar readings occasionally (the blue indicators), so it seems it is not perfectly stealthy by the sensor mechanics--if you watch the "targets detected" for all sonar, are they occasionally blipping? (Note that you cannot use a sensor to determine that something is never detectable, since it only shows the detection chance if it recently detected something. If it shows "0 targets tracked", it may still have a small chance of a detection.)

That said, I am also not convinced that "proceed about its normal business" is a sensible response to losing a lock--generally if a target disappears and you do not have reason to believe it was destroyed you want to stay alert, and its last known position is not a terrible guess. Stealth without mobility has to be absolutely perfect. (Although yes, it is annoying if the game is giving unavoidable detections at the start.)

Aside, why are the cameras not picking it up? I thought that smoke only worked against the visual trackers, not the wide-angle cameras.

Yeah, I've been working on optimizing my sensor array across the fleet lately, so the readings have been much improved. The Banshee usually gets anywhere between 10 and 40 m errors, so that's very stealthy in any case.
I did not notice any occasional blipping of the sonars in terms of targets detected going from 0 to 1. Even on 0,1 speed, I didn't notice anything.

I agree on your comments that going back to business as usual would not be a wise approach after having lost contact. But given that sensibility is not coded in FtD, it would certainly mean that. It appears that the AI is keeping the last known location of the target ship at least for a few seconds, so that might be the reason that its still firing upon it.

Procrastination level is over 9000
2017-05-03, 03:44 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-05-03 03:45 AM by Richard Dastardly.)
(2017-05-01 08:56 AM)Blothorn Wrote:  Aside, why are the cameras not picking it up? I thought that smoke only worked against the visual trackers, not the wide-angle cameras.

Haven't ultra-comprehensively tested it, just on an ad-hoc basis; smoke breaks all gimbal tracker locks ( including IR & radar, yes ), laser rangefinder, and... that's it ( so far ) which is why I haven't bothered with permasmoke. Cam 90 & Cam 360 don't care nor do coincidence rangefinders or fixed radar iirc, I haven't tried the IR 360 yet. I think I might actually go test everything at once right now.

If the position averaging is the last 3s, then it should have a fix for at least 3s after losing a lock, presumably? if there's a 360 cam then it won't have lost a lock anyway, it just won't be a very good one. Retroreflectors are also quite accurate but very slow updating.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy tanks 16/10/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - post processing gives me eyestrain at sea.