Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[SD][Rapid Assault]Casimir
2017-05-09, 08:20 AM
RE: [SD][Rapid Assault]Casimir
Hmm... alright. I made some aesthetic changes of my own based on that, mostly to make the large light blue areas clash a little less by surrounding them in black and adding a central black railgun magnet spine through them to break it up. It did increase the block count to 8608 though.

I'd also make the cockpit more purple and less magenta (say, by dropping the red to 0.67) but I dunno if that fits with the desired colors are for that, so that's up to you.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.blueprint  Casimir.blueprint (Size: 415.99 KB / Downloads: 27)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-05-09, 09:37 AM
(2017-05-09 08:20 AM)ferram4 Wrote:  Hmm... alright. I made some aesthetic changes of my own based on that, mostly to make the large light blue areas clash a little less by surrounding them in black and adding a central black railgun magnet spine through them to break it up. It did increase the block count to 8608 though.

I'd also make the cockpit more purple and less magenta (say, by dropping the red to 0.67) but I dunno if that fits with the desired colors are for that, so that's up to you.

Awesome, looks great. I like those railgun parts being angled to match the slope, nice touch.

The Cockpit color, there is nothing standard. I though I was using the same color you used on the original glass. So, you can set that color to what ever you like.

"Ask for the world and you'll get nothing, ask for something achievable and you might actually get it." -Majyst

"Im a leaf on the Wind, Watch how I soar" - 'Wash' Washburne

"Exaggerating just pisses me off" -Majyst

"Shiny" -Captain Malcolm Reynolds
2017-05-09, 11:12 AM
Alright, so last changes then in the attachment above:

Made the cockpit colors more purple and less magenta.
Increased the PID height, since it tended to go into the water a little bit at the bottom of bounces. Should still be hard to hit, but less prone to lucky damage sending it into the water.
Added some additional altitude/pitch thrusters in the back to keep it at pitch = 0 at all times.
Updated PID settings to keep it more level.
Some odds and ends painting to deal with some bits of internals that could be seen around thrusters and so on.

With that, I'm calling it done unless it needs more changes.
2017-05-09, 02:46 PM
Personal quibble, not a fan of using blue on the bow prongs. Otherwise no complaints.
2017-10-30, 04:40 AM
I saw the Casimir didn't get too much in the way of changes in the content update, so I've made some:

Laser turret now has 3m base
Switched 1-block laser pumps for 3-block laser pumps

Missile frag warheads reduced to 20 degrees from 90 degrees (whoever changed this, you made them too weak with this)
Some tweaks to PAC settings to try and make it more effective; still piercing
CRAMs got altitude fuse set to -15m; it's on'y useful against ships anyway, this helps rip the keel out of ships if the main shot misses
CRAMs also got flash hider barrels to help try and counter LAMs slightly
Laser and CRAM AI no longer uses aimpoint selection card to distribute damage and take out weapons rather than be wasted on easy counters

Craft goes slightly further out before turning around to make attack more head-on and CRAMs more likely to fire
Added some internal yaw rudders near the back to help with turning

Switched cockpit color to purple rather than magenta to clash less
Added anti-ramming system that causes the ship to jump ~100m into the air to clear naval enemies

Honestly, the design really suffers in the campaign from bad spawning and the armor scheme suffers greatly from frags and explosions that phase through the first layer of armor, but there's nothing I can really do about either of those.

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Casimir.blueprint (Size: 377.19 KB / Downloads: 5)
2017-10-30, 10:22 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-10-30 10:27 AM by draba.)
(2017-10-30 04:40 AM)ferram4 Wrote:  Missile frag warheads reduced to 20 degrees from 90 degrees (whoever changed this, you made them too weak with this)

That's actually a nerf.
IIRC current frag range is 0.66 - 3, so 180° has ~3.26 times the total damage of 20°.
When testing the missile overhaul I've shot a fuckton of frags with varying damage/AP at different targets, IMO there is no reason to use less than 180°.

Better penetration does sound good on paper, and a single perpendicular shot against a perfectly flat testing surface may do slightly more damage.
In practice higher angles get to the internals faster and grind a bigger hole in the armor(no damage lost on bad angles, hits on concaves are ugly).