Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help Me Understand: Degrees of Pitch, Roll, Yaw
2017-04-20, 11:45 PM
Help Me Understand: Degrees of Pitch, Roll, Yaw
Or rather, degrees of pitch, roll and yaw as an ACB recognizes them.

I understand what pitch, roll and yaw are. I understand what degrees of rotation are. What I don't understand is a negative degree of rotation. I just finished a semester of geometric fundamentals and the concept of a flatly negative rotation isn't making any sense to me. It's obvious that either you're turning clockwise or counterclockwise but which "turn" is negative and which is positive? If a ship rolls left/right in a forest and nobody hears it, does it have a positive or negative angle? And why does the ACB only go to 90 degrees instead of 180 if the rotational plane is a 360 degree circle?

However, I feel like I've googled far and wide both regarding FtD and generalized rotational mechanics to try and find a straightforward answer but come up short regardless. I've also tried to uncover if the orientation of the ACB affects how it interprets the rotational axes; I know it does localized altitude and positioning checks but I don't know if its orientation matters like its XYZ coordinates on the vehicle itself or if it just notes its initial placement as P0|R0|Y0 and works off that.

In addition to my question, can someone tell me where at in the game (that I missed) it tells you this information? I might have missed other things from that page/GUI. I swear I looked all over the vehicle information screen to see if it tells you the current rotation, but maybe I'm just incompetent.

I really hope that you're not expected to simply play with the ACB at random until you innately glean a trial-and-error sense of how its internals work...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-04-21, 02:21 AM
RE: Help Me Understand: Degrees of Pitch, Roll, Yaw
The positive is how much you are rolling to one side, and negative is the same amount but just to the other side. You find it on the right side of the GUI. each term is abbreviated to its first letter.

"IF sensei replica builder Jedi Hawkins is challenging me I must have passed his replica building jedi online replica brickology course, I am now a fully fledged Jedi replica builder, no more ugly brutally efficient killing machines its all about the image

I accept (:"
-RandomNOOBY
2017-04-21, 02:26 AM
IIRC Positive degrees is right/up, negative left/down.
2017-04-21, 02:57 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-04-21 02:58 AM by ZerothAngel.)
I'm in game, and this is what I'm seeing. And note, this is what's displayed on the HUD (because the yaw/pitch/roll from Lua is a different matter). (And it is actually kinda easy to discern -- just sit on a airplane as it flies around Tongue)

Yaw: Positive is toward the right
Pitch: Positive is nose up
Roll: Positive is banking left

So it's actually not very consistent. Some follow left-hand rule (yaw, roll), while pitch is right-hand.

Ah, looks like Richard pulled his reply. Good thing I didn't quote him. Tongue
2017-04-21, 04:20 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-04-21 04:21 AM by Richard Dastardly.)
Yes. I thought about it & then thought about 3d packages/Unity editor & where positive was on axes ( no matter if y-up or z-up), and realised I was 66% wrong Tongue

Poke my boat! pre-2.0 learning & ship catalogue thread. I will be doing other things until the eye-strain post-processing can be disabled again.