Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Need help on My Claudius Battlecruiser (destroyer?)
2017-04-20, 09:38 PM
Need help on My Claudius Battlecruiser (destroyer?)
This ship is a test I put quite a bit of work on as a noob. It is a test for several things as it is my largest ship so far, has my first lams, and has the first large autocannons I have built. It has done relatively well compared to my other vessels, but Im having trouble killing the kingstead with it because im a noob. I am bad with typing. Please help me how you can with this build. Hopefully I can figure out how to get blueprints from the forums when you're done with it. Please dont change it too much, as I like the general look and feel of it. Thanks a lot!

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Battlecruiser Claudius.blueprint (Size: 366.78 KB / Downloads: 11)

"Squeak Squeek, reeeet", *static*
Bob you really need to do a better job of fixing our universal translator or everyone will think we are pigs and keep us as pets"
-True story of the master guinea pig race about to do a crash landing onto Earth.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-04-20, 11:10 PM
RE: Need help on My Claudius Battlecruiser (destroyer?)
picimatures?
2017-04-20, 11:15 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-04-20 11:16 PM by hermano.)
(2017-04-20 09:38 PM)A Guinea Pig Wrote:  This ship is a test I put quite a bit of work on as a noob. It is a test for several things as it is my largest ship so far, has my first lams, and has the first large autocannons I have built. It has done relatively well compared to my other vessels, but Im having trouble killing the kingstead with it because im a noob. I am bad with typing. Please help me how you can with this build. Hopefully I can figure out how to get blueprints from the forums when you're done with it. Please dont change it too much, as I like the general look and feel of it. Thanks a lot!

I'm quite noobish myself, so I'll let others have a more detailed look. But from a short test I'd say you should adjust your detection. Get close to a detector and press Q. Then you get the detection window where you can select the importance of the detectors. I actually just click autoadjust in both fields. Some more detectors will help, too. Laser range finder and camer tracker are great for tracking.
[Image: aTcXf3J.jpg]

And a screenshot of the Claudius:
[Image: gKqNtJX.jpg]
2017-04-21, 12:02 AM
Autoadjust works for 80% of them, then you need to go manually change things like coincidence rangefinders - it pays to go check them all.

Poke my boat! pre-2.0 learning & ship catalogue thread. I will be doing other things until the eye-strain post-processing can be disabled again.
2017-04-21, 12:31 AM
(2017-04-21 12:02 AM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  Autoadjust works for 80% of them, then you need to go manually change things like coincidence rangefinders - it pays to go check them all.

Is there actually any documentation how to do this?
2017-04-21, 01:52 AM
you hit q on a sensor and click autoadjust

-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.
2017-04-21, 02:50 AM
(2017-04-21 12:31 AM)hermano Wrote:  Is there actually any documentation how to do this?

Mouseover the sensors in the sensor edit menu ( after Q on a sensor ) & you'll get their sensitivity - it's all relative though, so you need to pick one as the best for range or bearing & set the others up as a percentage of that one's setting - eg I'll use laser rangefinder as the best range sensor & set that to 2, and then radar gimbal tracker as next-best at 1.7 or something. The problem is if you hit autoadjust & leave it, you'll have things like coincidence rangefinders set to 6.25 which messes up everything else. Incidentally coincidence rangefinders are terrible at actual rangefinding - they're useful as backup bearing-finding devices.

--

This ship:

* Use some alloy for some internal structure, it'll help it float without assistance, active bouyancy is awfully fragile
* use some lighter materials for superstructure ( probably alloy again ), it doesn't *all* need to be armoured.
* make topical use of HA to protect really sensitive areas like the magazine
* compartmentalise it more so holes in the hull don't damage it's bouyancy as much
* add more and more sensitive sensors that'll make good use of the weapons

Details can be worried about later.

Poke my boat! pre-2.0 learning & ship catalogue thread. I will be doing other things until the eye-strain post-processing can be disabled again.
2017-04-21, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-04-21 02:15 PM by A Guinea Pig.)
Thanks for the help, I had no real Idea how detection systems worked, except stick them on and if they say their working their working, Ill try figure it out. I usually have autodetection on anyways, because I dont know how to work it, the main problem is its lack of engine power, and survivability right now. Like I said I want it to be able to kill a kingstead in less than 30 minutes or taking super severe crippling damage.

Currently this is my favorite ship in my navy as I just like the way it looks. DOnt know about you but I like jagged edges and angles. I will be working on some changes tonight when I get back to my PC. Will also post my sub

Bob you really need to do a better job of fixing our universal translator or everyone will think we are pigs and keep us as pets"
-True story of the master guinea pig race about to do a crash landing onto Earth.
2017-04-21, 01:10 PM
(2017-04-21 02:50 AM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  
(2017-04-21 12:31 AM)hermano Wrote:  Is there actually any documentation how to do this?

Mouseover the sensors in the sensor edit menu ( after Q on a sensor ) & you'll get their sensitivity - it's all relative though, so you need to pick one as the best for range or bearing & set the others up as a percentage of that one's setting - eg I'll use laser rangefinder as the best range sensor & set that to 2, and then radar gimbal tracker as next-best at 1.7 or something. The problem is if you hit autoadjust & leave it, you'll have things like coincidence rangefinders set to 6.25 which messes up everything else. Incidentally coincidence rangefinders are terrible at actual rangefinding - they're useful as backup bearing-finding devices.

--

This ship:

* Use some alloy for some internal structure, it'll help it float without assistance, active bouyancy is awfully fragile
* use some lighter materials for superstructure ( probably alloy again ), it doesn't *all* need to be armoured.
* make topical use of HA to protect really sensitive areas like the magazine
* compartmentalise it more so holes in the hull don't damage it's bouyancy as much
* add more and more sensitive sensors that'll make good use of the weapons

Details can be worried about later.

Thank you very much. I was building it of pure metal because I was lazy to do much else. I forgot about HA, and alloy, when building this, and when I did think about it I was worried about increasing its cost too much. I now realize it was already a huge investment in recources in my campaign so it shouldnt hurt to scrap some obselete ships from defeating the Deepwater Guard. Like I said I will try and tweak a little bit with detection (even though I have autodetection enabled Tongue) and increase armor and change much of the internal armor to alloy. Luckily by this point I figured out how to make really cheap torpedo spam subs so I can kill the Kingstead. Thanks for the help, may post some other builds though most of them are small ships built purely against the DWG, they have shown through recent battles with the OW that they have become more or less obsolete except as scouting vessels or recource carryers. Currently the only ships really in my active duty are the Mouse Submarine (not posted yet) and this... thing. Is it a cruiser or destroyer or what?

2017-04-21, 02:25 PM
Just looking at the screenshot again, I'd say you should restrict the gun traversal, otherwise they can get stuck when trying to turn in a direction with something blocking them. Look at the gun and press q to have a look at the details. There you can activate and set restrictions. It will take some time to figure out how it really works, but it is well worth it. If you have more than one gun on a turret you can also set the restrictions for the turret.