Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Questions regarding shields
2017-04-20, 09:04 PM
Questions regarding shields
I have serveral questions regarding a shield setup and any help would be very much appreciated.

1 effect strenght
Should the effect strenght be 10? i have read different things about this and am not sure if i am wasting power by maxing this out.

2 Do shields drain energy from batteries?
I have had a vehicle that had full batteries, but my shields were flickering (I have been told they only work when the engines are being able to keep up, is this right?).

3 Changing effect strenght with ACB's based on available power
I have a steam engine on my vehicle, but the ramp time makes it so that my vehicle is vunerable at the start of the fight. Since i cant seem to drain my batteries untill it is ramped up i thought of using ACB's to put the effect strenght lower untill my engines are fully ramped up. I was considering using the power fraction >/< option for this, but i don't fully understand how this works. When is power at 100%? Is this when batteries are fully charged? or when engines are at maximum performance? how would i have to set this up?

Thanks in advance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-04-20, 10:12 PM
RE: Questions regarding shields
1: I'm not sure, personally I just always keep them at 10 if possible, though I've seen many designs with them at 7. If you need the power dropping them down a bit shouldn't be a problem.

2. No, they don't. Unless you're using laser absorb shields they won't touch your batteries (when a laser absorb shield gets hit by a laser a chunk is taken out of your batteries to absorb the laser fire).

3. You can do this yes, the power fraction works by checking the available power. Say you have 100 power available, and you are using 70. The power fraction would report that you have 30% power left. If the power generation then increased to 200, then the ACB would report that there was 60% power available.

I would recommend having ACB's to disable and re-enable your shields depending on whether there are enemies present, no need to have the power draw constantly running.

Have ACB's set so that when the vehicle spawns the effect strength is set to 5, or something that your engines are most easily able to handle. Then have a second ACB also set to activate on spawn, but it has an activation delay of say 15 seconds before setting your shields to fully strength. This means that just after your craft has spawned the shields are in a "lower power" state and then a bit later after you engines have warmed up they switch to full power.
2017-04-20, 10:26 PM
RE: Questions regarding shields
I would recommend having ACB's to disable and re-enable your shields depending on whether there are enemies present, no need to have the power draw constantly running.

Have ACB's set so that when the vehicle spawns the effect strength is set to 5, or something that your engines are most easily able to handle. Then have a second ACB also set to activate on spawn, but it has an activation delay of say 15 seconds before setting your shields to fully strength. This means that just after your craft has spawned the shields are in a "lower power" state and then a bit later after you engines have warmed up they switch to full power.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, this will help me out a great deal! I'm gonna try it out tomorrow.