Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Eagle Industries presents: Conquest class light destroyer
2017-09-02, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-02 01:04 PM by Richard Dastardly.)
RE: Eagle Industries presents: Conquest class light destroyer
Well, I'd rather do less damage thanks to less payload per shell than no damage because it missed entirely Tongue the same rationale with AA missiles, they're no good if the aircraft just runs away no matter how big the boom. My philosophy with AAA units is just to wing the aircraft so it's slow enough for everything else to hit it.

Antiship on the other hand currently appear to be "bigger numbers is better" - been building a lot of turrets & come to the conclusion that the game is even more slanted to high-gauge spam than before the "rebalance".

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy & light tanks 23/11/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-02, 01:38 PM
I used to use very high velocity sabot rounds for my AA guns but since I came back to FTD and saw the frag changes, I think that even at small calibres, wide angle frag on a timed fuse is incredible for knocking down small/fast fliers. Each fragment does huge damage, and you can just fill the sky with a cloud of shrapnel which will strip sensors, jets, and control surfaces, as well as eat into armour decently well. It's much more effective than HVAP rounds for light AA imo
2017-09-02, 03:05 PM
Frag is atrocious vs shields now, with the AP reduction to it & buffed AC everywhere else you just get frag clouds pinging off random surfaces without any concentrated damage or much damage to anything. Fortunately campaign aircraft don't seem to shield their propulsion much so at least you can put some rounds in a tailpipe - when it explodes *on* something wide-angle frag is still good. Large-calibre HESH is absurdly good - mostly because it's basically pendepth frag - but under 225-250mm it's weak & it's useless when there's a shield.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy & light tanks 23/11/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2017-09-02, 04:10 PM
Frag shells are very good, but fliers need to be unshielded for them to work as area damage weapon... I'm still experimenting with new AA weapons since the horrible FLAK nerf.

Procrastination level is over 9000
2017-09-02, 04:53 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-02 04:54 PM by Shiroi_Okami.)
Yeah, hence why I specified small/fast fliers, ie stuff too small to pack shields. That said my recent AA destroyer has four wide angle frag cannons than can still punch through more heavily armoured targets even with shields purely due to the sheer number of shells in the air. Obviously its not as good as other rounds vs armour but against anything other than a bastion of shields it can do some serious damage.

I wish flak was useful though.

Also your fleet seems to have expanded dramatically since I last frequented these forums Eagle, it's looking great!
2017-09-02, 05:34 PM
Expanded?

[Image: pP8QpVT.jpg]

[Image: gsChUh5.jpg]

Has it? Tongue

I've got some 38 units now, including the 29 in the picture. I've been on a construction rage the past few weeks, so the fleet is expanding rather quickly; in part because of upgrades, in part to replace older designs with new ones... Smile

Thanks for the compliment!

Procrastination level is over 9000
2017-09-02, 06:04 PM
I built a 380mm ( something around that calibre ) flak gun earlier - it was *completely* ineffective at AA even firing 3m shells. Flak is good for a couple of things - taking out deck furnature like detection gear, getting down turret necks & blowing unarmoured turret internals & stripping ERA. I've been sticking one warhead on other types of rounds though, firing pure flak seems worthless.

You are definitely highly productive Tongue I have ideas, but without graphics options I can't do much about them. Plus I'm uncertain we're going to have a stable game situation for a while, it surely can't stay like it is now.

2017-09-03, 12:51 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-03 12:51 AM by Shiroi_Okami.)
Haha bloody hell. That looks great (Though you must have a mighty PC to run all those ships loaded in at once). I think I have probably ~35 units in the Blackwater line, but at least half of those are aircraft, and a lot of them are very old and need total refurbishment. I might take a leaf from your book and run back through the catalogue and do some updates/overhauls
2017-09-03, 06:59 AM
Omg I really need to step up my game. I've got a total of around 4 active in service ships right now and 1 light helicopter and 1 light bomber. Your fleet looks fantastic.
2017-09-03, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-03 01:59 PM by axwell.)
I have 4 ships lol and I've spent hours on the last one and it's nowhere close to finished yet you spit out fully furnished interiors and functional ships whenever.
PS my favorite ship from your fleet is the Vanguard, it's so perfectly beefy and different from the rest of the fleet and I love the separate decks.