Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
Voidstone
2017-04-07, 12:04 PM
Voidstone
Hey guys,

another quick update on whats going on on FS at the moment.

I have decided to flesh out the lore behind the portals concept from earlier and create a secondary plane of existance called, for want of a better name, the void.

Portals transport citizens between vehicles on earth and to the void if the citizen wants to go there. The void has an unlimited supply of "void stone" which burns at a high temperature, although it is not a carbon source. This means void stone is perfect for running a steam boiler or heating "blast" for a blast furnace. It however cannot replace the job of charcoal or coal (coke) in smelting. It's essentially an unlimited energy source that is free (except that you need to assign citizens to go into the void and mine it).

In the future of the game I want it to be possible to actually build structures and land vehicles in the void and engage in wars on two fronts: with your movable armada on earth (where all the physical materials are) and with your land forces in the void (where all the energy your armada needs is stored).

The void is also the place where components are stored as it is you- a void dwelling entity / god - who places the components and builds the armada on earth for the citizens...

So basically the humans survive on vehicles you make for them by running industries using the materials gathered off the floating islands of earth, and the energy source found in the void... and eventually your empire will contain a static "castle" in the void and a fleet of ships on earth.

I think I forgot to say that one of the reasons I want a new energy source (other than coal/oil/gas etc) is that I don't want to constrain the design of empires too much... so a steam punk style floating airship where half the crew are mining void stone can be a thing... whereas this would never had been possible if the energy source had to come from coal.

Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-04-07, 12:16 PM
RE: Voidstone
Seems like a good change for the creativity enabled in this game, but how will it work with the time periods of your tech? And will there be some sort of 'creative-only infinite material/void stone' block?

I'm just someone who fails to build anything bigger than 60 volume for unknown reasons.
Find all posts by this user
2017-04-07, 12:26 PM
There isn't a void stone block... you have a voidminer industry and you can build up the void mining components and then set humans to work on mining it... so there is still a human labour cost in getting the void stone

It'll be researched at about the same time as blast furnaces and steam engines are researched.

No need to use it for making wrought iron as charcoal is needed to provide the carbon

Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
2017-04-07, 12:30 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-04-07 12:33 PM by bokke1010.)
(2017-04-07 12:26 PM)Nick Smart Wrote:  There isn't a void stone block... you have a voidminer industry and you can build up the void mining components and then set humans to work on mining it... so there is still a human labour cost in getting the void stone

I meant a block that can't be used in a campaign that gives you infinite of a given material for testing
EDIT: And does this means you'll eventually add some kind of ground? How will this compare to FTD? Becouse it sounds totally awesome

I'm just someone who fails to build anything bigger than 60 volume for unknown reasons.
2017-04-07, 12:31 PM
Nick, you made very many people very happy.... TANKS HECK YEA

Once in a while I decide to do something stupid and try to perfect it. That is how some of my strongest designs were created.
2017-04-07, 12:37 PM
(2017-04-07 12:30 PM)bokke1010 Wrote:  
(2017-04-07 12:26 PM)Nick Smart Wrote:  There isn't a void stone block... you have a voidminer industry and you can build up the void mining components and then set humans to work on mining it... so there is still a human labour cost in getting the void stone

I meant a block that can't be used in a campaign that gives you infinite of a given material for testing
EDIT: And does this means you'll eventually add some kind of ground? How will this compare to FTD? Becouse it sounds totally awesome

Yeah the void world will be entirely land and from a gameplay perspective it will be made entirely to stage tank on tank battles and tank on castle battles.

If another faction forces you out of the void world and and destroys your footing in the void world then it is basically game over (you, the god, area dead).. same as if they destroy your footing on earth (all citizens forced into void world they cannot escape from and starve to death)

2017-04-07, 01:17 PM
Is the voider doragon coming? Smile

Sounds interesting. So citizens are possible to warp with changing planes two times.
Question. Is only the citizens able to mine? Or are we possible to build huge mining base behind hungry flagship?
2017-04-07, 05:08 PM
Yeah I think eventually you'll be able to automate the mining in the void, as well as perhaps drilling for voil (void oil!) for combustion engines

2017-04-07, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-04-07 06:29 PM by Van`Silke.)
If you add the Void, it might be a really good opportunity to go along with the idea of tower defense/dungeon keeper stuff. For the sake of arguement Void is too large for two factions to ever meet there through mining, but it might be possible to invade/"board" your Void space with a number of troops.

At which point you can also expand on the concept of the player being a void deity and store player's "consciousness" inside of a singular structure in the middle of your Void space, which at later stages might even become a win/loss condition - much like in FtD, but instead of destroying a HQ, your goal is to kill other gods by sending your minions to assault them on their own territory.

I like it.

"Of course, I'm just talking crazy."
2017-04-07, 08:08 PM
I just wonder how Nick suddendly decided to do land stuff, even though he said at first there will not be any land... is it because in the void is only land, meaning no sea or mountain avoidance AI required?

Once in a while I decide to do something stupid and try to perfect it. That is how some of my strongest designs were created.