Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Big missiles should be absurdly hard to shoot down, and do loads of damage.
2017-03-25, 05:32 PM
Big missiles should be absurdly hard to shoot down, and do loads of damage.
[Image: QGcdH8l.gif]

Here is a fairly large ship being hit by two (notice one is sea skimming, and one impacts from above) large anti ship missiles.

Such firepower is absurd, nothing in FTD can technically do this level of damage, other than ejector suicide drones.

This got me thinking.

No single explosion can get more than 10m radius, but MULTIPLE explosions can...

Missiles in this game are frankly appalling, nothing but LUA missiles are viable unless you spam so many missiles you practically can't reload for an hour trying to regain all your ammo.

Once gauge for missiles is added, I hope missiles can get this level of damage.

LAMS should get a nerf, while large CIWS (Flak guns) should be the go-to for large missiles.

A large missile in reality is unlikely to be shot down by 20mm CIWS (Phalanx is quite outdated, everyone is going to missiles and 30mm nowadays).

With some AI upgrades, point defence missiles, large flak/CIWS, and absurdly big lams (dedicated LAMS ships) should be the few things to take out such a monster missile, which by itself is the size of a small fighter jet.

[Image: efj7kp.jpg]

Missiles, once they reach a certain size (the explosion size cap?) should automatically split upon impact to multiple warheads to make use of all their damage.

A 1m+ diameter missile (2 meter diameter? 3? 4? What would the limit be? ;D) should hit like the right hand of god, go at least 500m/s, and have enough HP to ignore all but the most absurd anti missile defenses.

And I say this as a guy who doesn't use missiles often, I've only used some LUA missiles on my flagship because there's not much else which can fit into that area.

At a cost though, missiles should take a long time to reload, as far as I am aware of, such monsters would take maybe upwards of 2 minutes+ to reload, and use absurd amounts of ammo.

What do you guys think?

Missiles should be less 'spam all the missiles', and more 'supersonic death dealing machines which can be used for any purpose, breaking ships in half included'.

Missiles seriously need a HEAT warhead too.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-03-25, 09:48 PM
RE: Big missiles should be absurdly hard to shoot down, and do loads of damage.
The problem is that ships are expensive, so if they are this vunerable them you have to keep them safe, making subs, fighters and carriers the only good option. While this is realistic, it is not fun. Same with making missiles cost the same as a ship to balance them. It will also kill all passive defenses - sure, they don't do much good IRL, but many enjoy (over) engineering them and it would be disappointing to have them fall apart like wet toilet paper no matter what they do! Smile

There is one way to destroy shadow: light. But light creates more shadow then it destroys...

Many think light is the fastest in the universe. But, wherever light goes, darkness got there first
2017-03-25, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-03-25 11:29 PM by BioPhoenix.)
Not a fan; and I think your premises for this idea are flawed. FTD missiles may not be particularly realistic, but they're effective dramatically and gameplay-wise. A lot of modern missiles end up attacking structural integrity, and FTD ships do not presently have any measures of structural integrity. I do believe missile gauge is coming... At some point. Also, real-world ship missiles can't be reloaded infinitely from nothing but raw materials. The only part of this that I like is the possibility of missiles breaking apart into separate warheads.
Also, anything self-propelled going at 500m/s in Neter? Really? Neter's world physics are ... unearthly. 500m/s might be reasonable with more realistic physics, maaaybe in Dangerous Waters, but surely not in Neter.

I do also believe that the niche of what you are proposing is already filled - by the ejector suicide drones you mentioned briefly. Huge compared to normal missiles, spreads the explosive love around, potentially very fast, harder to replace on a ship, immune to standard missile defenses.
2017-03-25, 11:50 PM
Sure - if the missile reload time is increased to realistic levels too.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy tanks 16/10/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - post processing gives me eyestrain at sea.