Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Destroyer doesnt float well
2017-03-20, 06:54 PM
Destroyer doesnt float well
Hello this is a relatively small destroyer with pretty nasty weapons.
The problem is that i cant get it to float well, despite all the alloy and air compartments. Other 2 issues are turning and stability.
It cant really turn and its very rocky, making the weapons inaccurate.
If someone would take a look at it and make it more stable and agile, i would really appreciate it Big Grin

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Freyja Light Destroyer.blueprint (Size: 170.74 KB / Downloads: 11)

Please check out my creations. I need tips.
Mediocre builder.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-03-20, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-03-20 08:07 PM by The_Destroyer.)
RE: Destroyer doesnt float well
I took a look at it, nice design, and some thoughts:

First off, Destroyers are usually hard to float due to long but not deep or wide. It's just barely above water, but it's okay. You do use heavy armor and metal in areas, and usually DDs are very lightly armored.

1: Your center of mass is pretty high, thus why it rocks easily. Perhaps because of the weight of the armament above deck makes it unstable. You have a small airspace in the keel, and I don't think buoyancy that low is going to help stability. I filled it with lead and the ship is more stable, but it partially goes underwater in the rear, so I would recommend removing some of the metal and replacing heavy armor with metal, or something.

2: Your turning issue, you forgot a rudder silly! Make sure to place it in line with CoM or it will tilt the ship. Those tiny props won't do much, unless you add some props at the back to (make sure to set them to thruster reverse)

3: Your DD s pretty slow, I would recommend a mod like better propeller to increase prop power (as FTDs are really weak/don't scale with engine power like IRL) or add more props. Or, dediblades as props. Speaking of which, you could also use dediblades to provide lift and make it not sink.

4: You could also use hydrofoils to make the vehicle not sink as much, at least at speed.

5: You need to set firing limitations on the torpedo turrets, as they will get stuck/collide on the front, and they will stick there until its a shorter distance to go somewhere. (eg: You fire torps to the left, then you go to the right, it bangs on the front and won't go the other way unless you set firing limit)
2017-03-20, 08:04 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-03-20 08:12 PM by DraWay.)
Good looking destroyer you have Smile Like proper destroyer, not another floating gunbed.

Where exactly it "don't float well"? What i see is good enough for ship of this size.Though i'd make hull more "round" in cross-section... may try, hmm.

Why there's random wooden sections on the underside?

Added a rudder at back, suddenly thruster props work, perfect turning. Why you didn't use rudder?

Stern bobbing is mostly because of somewhat wrong weight & buoyancy distribution, though i not sure yet how to make this correctly. And with so long and narrow hull it will rock no matter what, smaller RL destroyers had this issue too.
You can use these "active stabilization" cheats if you not against it (as i do)

About speed and props, if you want aesthetic look but don't want mods, you can hide additional propellers inside of flooded stern compartment, just leave there a hole to the outside.
2017-03-20, 10:18 PM
(2017-03-20 07:59 PM)The_Destroyer Wrote:  I took a look at it, nice design, and some thoughts:

First off, Destroyers are usually hard to float due to long but not deep or wide. It's just barely above water, but it's okay. You do use heavy armor and metal in areas, and usually DDs are very lightly armored.

1: Your center of mass is pretty high, thus why it rocks easily. Perhaps because of the weight of the armament above deck makes it unstable. You have a small airspace in the keel, and I don't think buoyancy that low is going to help stability. I filled it with lead and the ship is more stable, but it partially goes underwater in the rear, so I would recommend removing some of the metal and replacing heavy armor with metal, or something.

2: Your turning issue, you forgot a rudder silly! Make sure to place it in line with CoM or it will tilt the ship. Those tiny props won't do much, unless you add some props at the back to (make sure to set them to thruster reverse)

3: Your DD s pretty slow, I would recommend a mod like better propeller to increase prop power (as FTDs are really weak/don't scale with engine power like IRL) or add more props. Or, dediblades as props. Speaking of which, you could also use dediblades to provide lift and make it not sink.

4: You could also use hydrofoils to make the vehicle not sink as much, at least at speed.

5: You need to set firing limitations on the torpedo turrets, as they will get stuck/collide on the front, and they will stick there until its a shorter distance to go somewhere. (eg: You fire torps to the left, then you go to the right, it bangs on the front and won't go the other way unless you set firing limit)
Ok thanks for the info.
Im gonna post an updated version sometime tomorrow.

Mediocre builder.
2017-03-20, 10:20 PM
(2017-03-20 08:04 PM)DraWay Wrote:  Where exactly it "don't float well"? What i see is good enough for ship of this size.Though i'd make hull more "round" in cross-section... may try, hmm.

I dont like it submerging even partially because im weird like that.

The wood is to make it float better. I added them to spots where armour is fairly irrelevant.

Mediocre builder.
2017-03-20, 10:52 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-03-20 10:53 PM by DraWay.)
(2017-03-20 10:20 PM)jihad-teppo Wrote:  
(2017-03-20 08:04 PM)DraWay Wrote:  Where exactly it "don't float well"? What i see is good enough for ship of this size.Though i'd make hull more "round" in cross-section... may try, hmm.

The wood is to make it float better. I added them to spots where armour is fairly irrelevant.

I was carried away by this ship, currently gutted it's hull almost entirely and messing with engine. So far refitted variant is more floaty, better armoured, a bit faster, more stable, has wooden box on AI(?..), little more ammo that is better protected and so on. And no wood at outside. Soon will give that to you.. and maybe use somewhere myself, if you don't mind.

There's enough space for something like LAMS (flooded pair of aft compartments for now)
2017-03-20, 11:47 PM
(2017-03-20 10:20 PM)jihad-teppo Wrote:  

Alloy I believe is better, lighter and slightly more HP than wood IIRC.
2017-03-21, 12:12 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-03-21 12:13 AM by DraWay.)
Made a thing here.

You can replace most of the metal by alloy to make it lighter... i armoured it a bit more than destroyer needs o..O

Engine can run at full power now (and more efficient), add more hungry things!

.blueprint  Freyja Light Destroyer Refit.blueprint (Size: 183.22 KB / Downloads: 4)
2017-03-21, 09:10 AM
Also, as a rule of thumb, keep your CoM as low as possible. This means placing all the light stuff as high as possible and the heavy stuff as low as possible. A wooden keel tends to destabilize the ship, which is why you then needed to place lead to make it heavier again. That's counterintuitive.

Procrastination level is over 9000
2017-03-21, 03:37 PM
(2017-03-21 09:10 AM)Eagle Wrote:  This means placing all the light stuff as high as possible and the heavy stuff as low as possible.

That means keeping ALL stuff as low as possible, and when you need to place something high, make in as light as you can.

with proper hull, CoM can be even above the water and still be stable, but lower - better