Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ballast Tanks
2017-03-21, 03:28 PM
RE: Ballast Tanks
You're all right, there's more and greater problems to fix, they just need too much work for it.

Displacement? Isn't combination of mass and buoyancy (if properly set values, which currently weird) decently simulate it?
still cubic meter blocks will cause issues, as you can pretend they're partially empty when setting their values, but currently game won't recognize that emptiness must be flooded underwater.

Never Make Alloy Ships.

and idea with tanks firstly came from missile ballast tanks, I thought then it would be interesting addition.
Negative you can get by tweaking mass of the block instead of buoyancy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-03-21, 04:25 PM
(2017-03-21 03:28 PM)DraWay Wrote:  You're all right, there's more and greater problems to fix, they just need too much work for it.

Displacement? Isn't combination of mass and buoyancy (if properly set values, which currently weird) decently simulate it?
still cubic meter blocks will cause issues, as you can pretend they're partially empty when setting their values, but currently game won't recognize that emptiness must be flooded underwater.

Never Make Alloy Ships.

and idea with tanks firstly came from missile ballast tanks, I thought then it would be interesting addition.
Negative you can get by tweaking mass of the block instead of buoyancy

Well, you are proposing to do things the Ftd way; instead of solving the problem, adjust everything else to negate it....

And Alloy ships are no problem, as long as you balance them out correctly, by using a metal keep.

Procrastination level is over 9000
2017-03-21, 05:06 PM
You could make an open hull out of HA if we used displacement, you'd not have to resort to dediblades or other tricks to keep ships afloat, just shape.

If wood is fine for shipbuilding, so is alloy.

Poke my boat! pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - 6 ships made 2.0 aware. Regularily doing other things until the eye-strain post-processing can be disabled again; great game but not worth the literal headache.
2017-03-21, 05:19 PM
in non-FtD way nothing will be made probably Smile
and again, these tanks weren't meant to fix buoyancy mechanic issues, only to add another option to the game.

About alloy, I prefer to build things in proper engineering way, instead of "do cool looks, apply crutches until work" that most people choose. So it'll be interesting to try alloy as "weaker, lighter metal" (that it is), but not so floaty probably.
2017-03-21, 05:45 PM
(2017-03-21 12:38 PM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  I'd rather we moved to using displacement than fiddle with more bouyancy patching. We even already have block density, although it'd probably need fiddling with anyway.

I actually made a mod that reduced all structural block buoyancy to about 1/10th nominal volume; it worked quite well, with more realistic stability and sinking. Unfortunately, at present the game does not account for buoyancy factor (or volume) for ships over 5000 blocks--amusingly, this means that a giant block of 5001 metal slopes floats.

Allr andask.