Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Increasing steam power up speed without increasing piston speed
2017-03-12, 06:14 AM
Increasing steam power up speed without increasing piston speed
Title. How do I make steam engines spool up/ power up faster without making the piston rotate speed faster? AKA without increasing burn rate/ increasing amount of boilers.

Darkness always surrounds light

There is never enough dakka. More is always better.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-03-12, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-03-12 12:49 PM by ARCAGNELL0.)
RE: Increasing steam power up speed without increasing piston speed
(2017-03-12 06:14 AM)Nathaniel411 Wrote:  Title. How do I make steam engines spool up/ power up faster without making the piston rotate speed faster? AKA without increasing burn rate/ increasing amount of boilers.

You need to keep the number of boilers each steam controller commands down, I've found the best tradeoff between block efficiency and power density to be using one large boiler for every controller. You can check out the in game Warlord (GT godly airship) I updated with steam to give yourself an idea.

I do not apply murder to the vehicle, the murder has the vehicle built around it! -ARCAGNELL0

"If there is no struggle, there is no progress" -Frederick Douglass

(2017-01-23 04:32 PM)Shade Wrote:  I think you can basically stack infinite shields in an arc
2017-03-12, 07:03 PM
If you don't want to do that, you can have excessive boiler speed, and have ACBs set boiler fraction to 1.0 when power fraction <70% and .5 or something when power fraction >70%
2017-03-12, 07:13 PM
(2017-03-12 07:03 PM)The_Destroyer Wrote:  If you don't want to do that, you can have excessive boiler speed, and have ACBs set boiler fraction to 1.0 when power fraction <70% and .5 or something when power fraction >70%

I use that aswell, added to following that ratio. It's basically what prevents my Dominion thruster craft to not kill its own 450k engine power steam array in combat.

I do not apply murder to the vehicle, the murder has the vehicle built around it! -ARCAGNELL0

"If there is no struggle, there is no progress" -Frederick Douglass

(2017-01-23 04:32 PM)Shade Wrote:  I think you can basically stack infinite shields in an arc
2017-03-12, 10:08 PM
If you aren't as worried about block count then one small boiler per controller is the fastest ramp up. I make my systems like this. Also the less piping the more compressed the steam is and the less time it takes to ramp as well.
2017-03-14, 02:21 PM
The essential 'key' to this problem I've seen is that you essentially build a system with an upper power capacity above what you actually use. You can then set the entire system to max during the first seconds/minutes of combat to get that quick ramp but slowly ratchet the burn rates down as steam pressure gets where you need it.

an additional benefit to this system is that you have extra capacity that you can tap to counter damage. As others have said most system's I've seen use 1 large boiler per controller or 3 small ones with minimal piping (usually the boilers are directly beside the piston/crank/turbine assembly)

-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.
2017-03-18, 10:34 AM
It also very marginally helps to have more pistons connected to your steam piping. If you have unconnected pistons, connecting them will do a lot. If all your pistons are connected already, adding more will only marginal power ramp speed.

I often have small pistons with a wheel and generator in my builds since that's ultimately the most efficient way that gives any direct power, and I use auxiliary electric engines to give a bit of a power buffer zone.