Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Smart Lua Missile Guidance System v2.1.1
2017-09-12, 10:52 AM
RE: Smart Lua Missile Guidance System v2.1.1
(2017-09-12 07:47 AM)sundy123 Wrote:  Ok, so the script stopped stopping, but the missiles still aim unpredictably, some work fine but some don't and just aim at an empty point in space

Yeah thats because the missiles don't think they can turn fast enough to hit the target, please see my post to Snowdrake.

I consider my ambassadors to be the best in the world, they always seem to come to a successful resolution, I just wish they could learn to use a few less missiles on passing seagulls.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-12, 12:27 PM
(2017-09-12 02:34 AM)6dwavenminer Wrote:  
(2017-09-11 10:02 PM)snowdrake Wrote:  Hmmm that wasn't the issue for me apparently, my LUA box did not show any spelling errors on that line. I grabbed the code only yesterday and several times over today to make sure I copied it correctly.

Hey Snowdrake, sounds like your missiles are just staying at their cruising height, in which case just increase the "BaseDirectEngagementGroundRange" in the user config. However, it could also be that the missiles don't think they can turn in time to hit the target, to fix this mutliple soultions are possible:
-Overwrite this behaviour (although the missiles will probably now miss) by increasing "InterceptionTurnAngleTollerance"
-Increasing the turn speed of your missiles by having a higher fin to length ratio
-Have your missiles start directly targetting the enemy sooner by increasing the "BaseDirectEngagementGroundRange"
-Use a turret to aim the missiles at the target
-Playing around with the thrust values

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

None of these seem to have helped. The missiles should be maneuverable enough and for testing I swapped the frag warhead for more fins... nothing. I am seriously stumped. The thing is not that the missiles cannot hit the targets - the proof is that there is always an odd missile that works perfectly, the other missiles simply decide not to engage. I increased the tolerance to 55 and the ground engagement range to 400.

I attached my blueprint. This is without all the extra fiddling to make it work.

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  LUAmissilesub.blueprint (Size: 101.34 KB / Downloads: 4)
2017-09-12, 12:41 PM
(2017-09-12 12:27 PM)snowdrake Wrote:  
(2017-09-12 02:34 AM)6dwavenminer Wrote:  
(2017-09-11 10:02 PM)snowdrake Wrote:  Hmmm that wasn't the issue for me apparently, my LUA box did not show any spelling errors on that line. I grabbed the code only yesterday and several times over today to make sure I copied it correctly.

Hey Snowdrake, sounds like your missiles are just staying at their cruising height, in which case just increase the "BaseDirectEngagementGroundRange" in the user config. However, it could also be that the missiles don't think they can turn in time to hit the target, to fix this mutliple soultions are possible:
-Overwrite this behaviour (although the missiles will probably now miss) by increasing "InterceptionTurnAngleTollerance"
-Increasing the turn speed of your missiles by having a higher fin to length ratio
-Have your missiles start directly targetting the enemy sooner by increasing the "BaseDirectEngagementGroundRange"
-Use a turret to aim the missiles at the target
-Playing around with the thrust values

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

None of these seem to have helped. The missiles should be maneuverable enough and for testing I swapped the frag warhead for more fins... nothing. I am seriously stumped. The thing is not that the missiles cannot hit the targets - the proof is that there is always an odd missile that works perfectly, the other missiles simply decide not to engage. I increased the tolerance to 55 and the ground engagement range to 400.

I attached my blueprint. This is without all the extra fiddling to make it work.

Disregard, I got it to work by using even higher numbers. I ramped the tolerance up to 90 and it works with 2 fins without any issues at all. Still think it's a bit wierd.
2017-09-12, 04:53 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-12 06:50 PM by BillSnow.)
One suggestion that could come in handy for those making interceptors or anti air:

A quick change to the "try for another pass" to add an option to fly at target level, rather than cruise level setting.

As it stands, even with a direct attack setting, when the code decides it can't make a turn and steers away, it aims for cruising altitude. This becomes an issue if you have something like a low range quick anti air missile set to direct attack. If the missile misses a low target, it shoots up in altitude (toward cruising altitude) during the turnaround period before going back for second pass on the target.

This works great for the attack from above / below options, but if you're firing a missile with little fuel and just want it to direct hit ASAP, it burns precious time and fuel in the climb / dive of turnaround.

Edit: minor changes for clarification