Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Rainmaker: EXTREMELY compact 5x5x6 ~120RPM 266.66mm inertial HEAT/frag turret
2017-03-07, 10:19 PM
RE: Rainmaker: EXTREMELY compact 5x5x6 ~120RPM 266.66mm inertial HEAT/frag turret
Due to a combination of its stature, ammo consumption, and raw DPS, this is a great gun for adventure mode.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-03-08, 02:12 AM
RE: Rainmaker: EXTREMELY compact 5x5x6 ~120RPM 266.66mm inertial HEAT/frag turret
Sorry to double post, but I had something legit to add:

I revisited the blaster concept, and have always been looking for a way to make a low power railgun feasible; the two combined to form this delicious 7x7x6 dual 450mm turret.

For slightly under 700 energy per shot, you get a 0.93 second refire rate, firing no-head shells at ~500m/s with 0.45 degree inaccuracy. I'm using my APS Fuze mod so inertial fuses are 0m length, so in vanilla you would need to shrink the gauge a bit, but the concept still has promise. Basically, to mitigate the 3x accuracy penalty and glance chance of a no-head shell, you use rail power dedicated solely to accuracy coupled with an inertial fuze. The cannons in question come in both a HEAT-spam and a rail-assist variety, the HEAT spam variant lacking sorely in versatility. The No-Head shell can be swapped between HE, Frag, and EMP at will due to the instant reloading nature of a blaster setup. I actually found that firing 20 degree frag cones was more effective at perforating targets than the HEAT warheads.

As for the rail design, surprisingly little is required to amplify accuracy. Each firing piece has a 0.7 overclock, which improves the overall efficiency by quite a bit: you can run this setup off of two RTG's. That's a pretty miniscule energy footprint!

[Image: 0B4320FAF160770420971AE031A7B7909BD0D7DF]

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Railblaster Demo.blueprint (Size: 239.08 KB / Downloads: 34)
2017-03-10, 10:40 PM
@SynthTwo thanks for the praise! Big Grin I like the idea of using rail assist to overcome accuracy penalties, I'd forgotten how little power was required for 10x bonuses to accuracy. When I finally finish chipping away at the WF I'll incorporate that idea into the longer range, more accurate version I'll be using against the OW, SS, GT, and maybe even LH.

As a by the way, I've swapped out the composite head on the frag rounds for a max penetration HEAT head, because it really has no disadvantages against shielded opponents, and if their shields are down they're probably crippled anyway. I'm currently experimenting with 3-module shells for a fuzed blaster setup with greater gauge than this, will post results soonish.
2017-04-20, 05:30 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-04-20 05:36 AM by Caustic.)
28k recoil tho...

How do your ships not capsize with this thing on it? My 21k volume ship had 5 cannons on it that totaled maybe 12k recoil between them and it would sometimes roll over before I added roll controlling ACB's on it. Granted, it had a combined fire rate of over 3000 RPM - but I still don't see how you wouldn't have trouble using this thing.
2017-04-20, 05:33 AM
(2017-04-20 05:30 AM)Caustic Wrote:  28k recoil tho...

How do your ships not capsize with this thing on it? My 17k volume ship had 5 cannons on it that totaled maybe 12k recoil between them and it would sometimes roll over before I added roll controlling ACB's on it. Granted, it had a combined fire rate of over 600 RPM - but I still don't see how you wouldn't have trouble using this thing.

Propellors on your bottom sides with a PID controlling roll can help massively with things like this.
2017-04-20, 05:53 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-04-20 06:07 AM by Caustic.)
(2017-04-20 05:33 AM)Iambadatnaming Wrote:  
(2017-04-20 05:30 AM)Caustic Wrote:  28k recoil tho...

How do your ships not capsize with this thing on it? My 17k volume ship had 5 cannons on it that totaled maybe 12k recoil between them and it would sometimes roll over before I added roll controlling ACB's on it. Granted, it had a combined fire rate of over 600 RPM - but I still don't see how you wouldn't have trouble using this thing.

Propellors on your bottom sides with a PID controlling roll can help massively with things like this.

Well I guess I should stop wasting space on recoil dampeners then. Also, I looked at my old thread and it was actually 3k rpm (600 per barrel), so I suppose that's a bit more telling as to why I was having trouble.
2017-04-20, 07:38 AM
@Caustic Once I discovered how powerful propellers can be for roll stabilisation, I stopped using recoil dampeners. Then I discovered hydrofoil stabilisation and I stopped worrying about recoil at all. Just mount hydrofoils sideways in a line running down the center of thethe bottom of your hull and have two ACBs making them turn appropriately when roll is greater or less than zero. It forces your ships to go forwards only unless you use LUA, but the sheer force that hydrofoils output makes it worth it, and they don't even cost any power.

By the way, just realised I never uploaded the version with updated ammo or reported my findings with higher calibres. Will upload when I get home. As to higher calibres, the biggest that works is 400mm. Unfortunately with only 3 components, and only one for the payload, frag just isn't a viable shell type. Additionally, rate of fire for a given volume is far lower. HEAT shells are slightly more powerful even with just a shaped charge head at 400mm, and have a much higher velocity approaching 400m/s IIRC. Unfortunately, I found that the flatter trajectory actually performed significantly worse against surface targets given the tendency to skip on the water or for the shells to dive far too early to stand a chance of hitting below the waterline. Further, the pure HEAT simply didn't have the damage output required to do significant damage to units with good protection around ammo stores and AIs. A ship equipped with the original 266mm beat the same ship equipped with the 400mm every single time I ran them against each other.

Still need to try out high calibre sabot shells in a blaster turret though, could potentially output a lot of damage against poorly shielded targets, and put more.rounds on target against fliers, although I will always prefer the versatility of HEAT/frag.
2017-04-20, 07:25 PM
Until 2.0 hits, unfuzed shells are completely worthless. Large calibre kinetics can basically sail through ships even with low muzzle velocities, and big hollow points are hilarious, however with velocity based shields a single shield provides total immunity to a non fused shell.