Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Setting a fixed energy use for railguns
2017-02-16, 11:06 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-02-16 11:07 PM by goldenpeach.)
Setting a fixed energy use for railguns
So, I just tried to make some railguns in designer mode(otherwise, there's no way I could ever afford to make what I plan to do).

The problem is that the energy used by the railguns seem to depend on the maximum energy capacity of my boat, which mean the statistic of my turrets will depend on the maximum amount of electricity I could have in the boat.

That kind of bother me because I would want to have the statistic of the turrets to be constant, even if I decide to have more batteries for backup or if some batteries get destroyed during a battle.

Is there a way to make a railgun alway use a predetermined amount of energy no matter the total energy storage of the ship? That way, the turrets wouldn't have a larger recoil just because I decide to add a few more batteries(and they wouldn't be less efficient just because I lose a couple batteries even if I still have enough energy to use them).
In exemple, currently my turret use 232211 energy per shot, can I make it use alway that amount of energy,even if I remove or add batteries, as long as I have enough energy to do so?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-02-17, 02:00 AM
RE: Setting a fixed energy use for railguns
have you pressed "Q" on your railgun and take a look at "railgun settings"? It's pretty much self-explanatory from there...

This is a cat
Is this a cat?
How is that a cat?
You are a cat?
Keep the cat!
An idiot cat...
Idiot cat
Busy cat
For that cat
40 cats
Seconds please -the cat

Now read the first words of each sentance
2017-02-17, 07:08 PM
I did that, but the closest thing I could find was to set a limit of energy usage as a percentage of the current storage capability of the ship; what I would want to do is to set an absolute energy usage(in exemple, 100) that would alway be used, no matter how much batteries I add or remove, as long as the storage capacity is 100 electricity or more.
2017-02-18, 12:49 PM
not possible atm

like's strange music Tongue
2017-02-18, 01:03 PM
This has been annoying me as well. I find it completely illogical to use a percentage of CURRENT storage. It's just absurd, as that means the values are almost constantly fluctuating and your gun's effectiveness is as well... Has anybody made a suggestion about this?

Procrastination level is over 9000
2017-02-18, 03:05 PM
Your railgun energy comes from the rail magnets on the barrels. The more you use, the more energy it can draw. Remove a couple of magnets from around the barrel and see if that works.
2017-02-18, 09:30 PM
(2017-02-18 01:03 PM)Eagle Wrote:  This has been annoying me as well. I find it completely illogical to use a percentage of CURRENT storage. It's just absurd, as that means the values are almost constantly fluctuating and your gun's effectiveness is as well... Has anybody made a suggestion about this?

agreed, and I've seen the proposal several times before, but railguns have been rather neglected as a weapon type. I wouldn't be surprised if it changes in the future, but I wouldn't hope for a change soon with Nick currently tied up with the spin-off and when that's in a more ready stage we can expect a period of porting useful interface and 'under-the-hood' quality of life and core game improvements rather than content and balance changes.

-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.