Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Track blocks and hydro-jets
2017-02-16, 07:20 AM
Wink Track blocks and hydro-jets
First thing: What do you guys think of a "track block"? Basically a set of blocks that, when touching, create a track along which a sub-object can move and to place a sub-object on them you look at the track and press "]" like you would for a turret or spin-block.

You control the direction and speed at which the sub-object moves along the track by way of ACB and could also turn the track on/off via ACB command. This would allow you to have tracks that go in different directions from intersections that are only active under certain conditions.

This would let players have things like hatches that slide out of the way, elevators to bring aircraft or other sub-vehicles to the deck of ships, have turrets or missile racks that tuck away into recesses when not in use, etc.

You could, in theory, use these as tank treads as well, by looping the track and placing numerous individual blocks on it as sub-objects that travel along the looped track forward or backward depending on the command.

Second thing: water-jets, does anyone else think we should have a set of blocks similar to customs jets but for underwater use? I think it would provide a great solution for Ships with lots of length but not much width.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-02-16, 10:17 AM
RE: Track blocks and hydro-jets
The track block idea is extremely necessary. Nice to see that i'm not the only one who needs at least a way to build elevators!
2017-02-16, 12:59 PM
Agreed to both Smile

Procrastination level is over 9000
2017-02-16, 11:52 PM
I believe there are polls for piston blocks. Those would probably offer similar functionality in several ways. I'm not sure which would be better, i feel somewhat certain track blocks would offer more versatility in the things you can do with them but might burden the engine more.
2017-02-18, 03:58 AM
Track blocks would certainly be better than Minecraft-style piston blocks for a game like FTD. I approve of both of these ideas. Hydro-jets have good precedent in terms of ducted propellers and the functionally fictional but tonally appropriate magnetohydrodynamic drive.
2017-03-26, 07:53 AM
(2017-02-18 03:58 AM)BioPhoenix Wrote:  Track blocks would certainly be better than Minecraft-style piston blocks for a game like FTD. I approve of both of these ideas. Hydro-jets have good precedent in terms of ducted propellers and the functionally fictional but tonally appropriate magnetohydrodynamic drive.

It's not totally fictional, theres a Japanese experimental boat that used something like it.