Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
The next few weeks could lead to a revolution unlike any before
2017-02-01, 06:37 AM
RE: The next few weeks could lead to a revolution unlike any before
Would be pretty neat if it could be utilized somehow.

I doub't its metastability, complex stuff about the shape of the nucleus and the exact arrangement of all nucleons, where H only has a proton, so the nucleus is structurally isotropic and the process of achieving such high pressures is pretty insane, almost like building a fusion reactor, but they never reached the necessary pressures for fusion, so the temp was simply cranked up, yadda yadda.

Although it could be pretty interesting clathrating nine times the amount of hydrogen into a solid block of iridium, which under normal conditions can already hold more hydrogen than a hollow box with the same dimensions can.

I'd say it'll take quite some time to find a feasible industrial process for making it.
Maybe a colony levitating in the boundary zone of slush and metallic hydrogen inside the Jovian atmosphere^^
Or a colony of robots that goes rogue and kills us all?

Or non-reactive monofold explosives^^

The prospects of the tech are almost as high as on sonic screwdrivers, but getting there... Phew... People still boggling about fusion energy and 60 years ago someone said it would take max 50 years to master.

I'd say the next best shmok that realizes what it could do to a monetary economy will simply hinder it's forthcoming.

We can't have cool things, because we still need to learn to see, think and talk properly without hurting each other, we're barely out of the trees, our sociological maturity is sub par to our technological advancement, our actions are still primarily based on fear, advanced tech needs logic, very dangerous, but very intresting, me likey dem times.

Pursue happyness with diligence
-Mastodon
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-02-01, 07:44 AM
Very interesting indeed.

But as always it is "only" groundwork which may or may not be used on a bigger scale in the next years/decades.

But its still interesting, pretty Lamb interesting.

We are things that labor under illusion of having a self, an accretion of sensory, experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody is nobody.
2017-02-01, 09:49 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-02-01 09:52 PM by mrvecz.)
Metalic Hydrogen sounds too good to be true IMO

As a chemist, i must doubt some things, like if... is it safe ? And stable ?!

[Image: giphy.gif]

Because Hydrogen is gas by default AND its the "smallest" element and it has tendencies to leak from its gas bombs cuz its atoms are so small that they can find their way through miniature holes in the bomb steel coating. This means the contained Hydrogen slowly depletes itself.

This makes long term storage tricky, if the solid turns to gas over time, you are loosing it ............... by not using it.

This might not be a problem for stuff like bombs (Hydrogen tactical bombs) and rockets. But it is for electronics, if the conductors degenerate itself over time.

[Image: vP4vDHc.png]

Check out my Zrytix, Land RTS
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-02-01, 09:53 PM
It was on the national news here a while ago, if this material holds up to it's expectations, it can supply in so much of the worlds energy needs; it's just amazing news! This Metallic Hydrogen, together with graphene, might just be what humankind needs for the next step in technological evolution and proper spaceflight.

Procrastination level is over 9000
2017-02-02, 02:16 AM
@Mrvecz
It all depends on it stability.
It could be metastable and require significant energy to degrade, or it could be stable enough to maintain itself without degradation. At this point we do not know, and in the coming weeks we may or may not be stable.
If it is completely or relatively stable, it may very well be the best thing since sliced bread.

[Image: DrBGmGy.png]

Join the Universal Supreme Alliance!
2017-02-02, 04:09 AM
and if its not stable. well. duck

My youtube channel! Subscribe. Now. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDOmAfT...Hk6SImmc-Q

[Image: ctaew3-4.png]
2017-02-11, 10:14 PM
I dont remember hearing about metalic hydrogen anymore

Its quite odd how all these "amazing" discoveries pops up and then it silently disappears

[Image: vP4vDHc.png]

Check out my Zrytix, Land RTS
2017-02-12, 12:24 AM
What did you expect?
It would be no wonder if the next discovery about the properties of metallic hydrogen is one or two years away. Or more.
Science is a slow process.

As a chemist you know how long it took from the idea of 'atoms' to the periodic table. How long to understand the properties of elements.
And how long to turn simple dirt and rock into shiny smart phones.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Engineering, Civilization 4; Antoine de Saint Exupéry
2017-02-12, 02:35 AM
They are going back and repeating their tests now

[Image: DrBGmGy.png]

Join the Universal Supreme Alliance!