Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Winching, tethering, docking etc
2017-01-27, 01:16 PM
Winching, tethering, docking etc
In FS you'll be able to make good use of tethering components which will act a bit like the docking station in FtD crossed with the harpoon gun or missile harpoons of FtD. They'll basically create a physically realistic interaction between two vehicles and hold the vehicles in place.

They will be used for a lot of things and will have some neat features.

Uses:
1) Allowing vehicles to tug each other around... so you don't need propulsion on all your vehicles which will allow you to make more interesting flotillas.
2) Dragging the dead husks of enemy vehicles around whilst you salvage them
3) Keeping smaller vehicles safe and stop them wasting fuel (i.e. aircraft carrier sort of design).
4) Building and repairing

So in the above list you see repairing and scrapping.

I will talk more about that now.. basically the winch gantry will have perhaps 6 "job slots". 3 will be for repairs and 3 will be for scrapping.
If a vehicle is being winched and you have people manning your scrapping jobs they will scrap the vehicle down. you'll be able to prioritise what they take first (consumables, blocks you already have, blocks that could help with research etc).

If there is a vehicle being winched and you have citizens on your repair jobs then they will repair that vehicle.

In combat once an enemy vehicle has all of it's crew killed, or once it surrenders, the vehicle becomes yours.

Scrapping a vehicle will be a fairly laborious process (even scrapping your own vehicles) and will take a long time to fully do.

I envisage some pretty cool salvage tugs crewed up with half a dozen guys on 2 winches. You'll be able to configure the tugs different modes to have "repair mode" and "salvage" mode and it'll serve three main purposes
1) Repairing your ships after battle.. with the double function of dragging very badly damaged vehicles so they don't fall behind the flotilla
2) Repairing enemy ships that you want to make use of once a battle is done
3) Scrapping enemy ships for resource.

I want to make it viable for a player to survive off only salvage and really lead a pirates life and so will be thinking about this sort of technology as a separate arm of the technology tree.

There will be an option to "scuttle" (rather than salvage) vehicles that you own or have captured...which will basically just totally destroy the vehicle in a few seconds and will send the resource (with a very low conversion rate) to the sea bed where divers will be able to pick it up.

Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-01-27, 01:34 PM
RE: Winching, tethering, docking etc
Sounds pretty interesting and.. solid Smile

Could the winching stuff be as well used for resource transfer, instead of magical resource movement?
Imagine, instead of throwing them a rope, you'd throw them a hose, spilling oil^^

Or as elaborated in the other thread, use the tether like a ski-lift, tauten the cable and pull baskets/diving bells/people along for conveying solid stuff between the tetherer and the tethered one Smile

Pursue happyness with diligence
-Mastodon
Find all posts by this user
2017-01-27, 02:52 PM
(2017-01-27 01:34 PM)h0yer Wrote:  Sounds pretty interesting and.. solid Smile

Could the winching stuff be as well used for resource transfer, instead of magical resource movement?
Imagine, instead of throwing them a rope, you'd throw them a hose, spilling oil^^

Or as elaborated in the other thread, use the tether like a ski-lift, tauten the cable and pull baskets/diving bells/people along for conveying solid stuff between the tetherer and the tethered one Smile

No I don't see the point in that. It would mean to re-arm/fuel/etc a vehicle you would need to tether it to several different production vehicles and supply chains would require the player to tether vehicles together. I just don't see the purpose it serves and a spiders web of ropes between each vehicle would look unsightly I think.

Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
2017-01-27, 03:02 PM
(2017-01-27 02:52 PM)Nick Smart Wrote:  
(2017-01-27 01:34 PM)h0yer Wrote:  Sounds pretty interesting and.. solid Smile

No I don't see the point in that. It would mean to re-arm/fuel/etc a vehicle you would need to tether it to several different production vehicles and supply chains would require the player to tether vehicles together. I just don't see the purpose it serves and a spiders web of ropes between each vehicle would look unsightly I think.

Interesting points, especially the unsightly spider web^^

Hmm, couldn't spiderwebbing be prevented by enabling/disabling all winching functions on a per vehicle base? Like another AI mode in FTD?
Or would this be too unweildy?
Dunno, maybe it could be done very easy, some visual that shows that two vehicles are in towing range of each other, and clicking a vehicle (or however one would select them) opens up some menu/tiny window, where one would select/enable/disable the towing mode.
Selection between winch/resource transfer and on/off.

-Mastodon
2017-01-27, 03:11 PM
I just don't see what it would add really. It's like the game could also have waste management from toilets or model the spread of injection of hair lice but what does it actually add.

One of the points of the game is to model an economy, including perhaps a free market economy, and this sort of thing will really disrupt that and turn it from being complicated but workable into being a confusing chore

2017-01-27, 03:43 PM
How would aircraft on an aircraft carrier function? This sounds very much like connected vehicles would just drag each other, so aircraft might end up just sliding off of the carrier deck. Would smaller vehicles inherit the velocity/acceleration of their carrier when docked, or if they have a special block that allows them to do so. Also, would you be able to add a steam catapult, or a late game EMALS, for aircraft carriers?
2017-01-27, 03:56 PM
Well you'd basically just hang the plane on the deck using a crane and they'd all just bounce about smacking into each other but collision damage is disabled between docked objects.

Later on there would be actual tractor beams as per FtD available, if enough research was put into the energy tree.

But planes in FtD usually do alright from a water start or from a "falling start" so actually starting "on the deck" would not be important. What would be important is the Aircraft carriers ability to produce the fuel the planes need, restock it's ammo, hold the off duty air crew and repair the damaged planes.

2017-01-27, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-01-27 04:03 PM by h0yer.)
(2017-01-27 03:11 PM)Nick Smart Wrote:  I just don't see what it would add really. It's like the game could also have waste management from toilets or model the spread of injection of hair lice but what does it actually add.

One of the points of the game is to model an economy, including perhaps a free market economy, and this sort of thing will really disrupt that and turn it from being complicated but workable into being a confusing chore

Hmm, I understand.
I personaly just like having technical/functional visualization of what is going on, and if possible combined into one system that would practically fit all the purposes^^
Hmm, would it be really that much of a chore to move one vehicle into range of something, then hitting the enable tether button, then hitting buttons for transfer resources/scrap/repair?
I guess it could be a chore if one would have do do it in excess, but this could as well be prevented by allocating properly dimensioned stores, so one wouldn't have to constantly move stuff just for resource transfer.

However, your initial approach seems to fit the purpose well enough^^

-Mastodon
2017-01-27, 07:08 PM
(2017-01-27 04:02 PM)h0yer Wrote:  Hmm, would it be really that much of a chore to move one vehicle into range of something, then hitting the enable tether button, then hitting buttons for transfer resources/scrap/repair?
Yes it would. Period.
Tongue

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Engineering, Civilization 4; Antoine de Saint Exupéry
2017-01-27, 07:19 PM
(2017-01-27 03:56 PM)Nick Smart Wrote:  But planes in FtD usually do alright from a water start or from a "falling start" so actually starting "on the deck" would not be important.

I want to add that this relates heavily to the game's physics constants. Because the relationship between drag and propulsion force makes acceleration near-instant on Neter, airplanes can achieve liftoff near-instantly and as such, don't need runway (if they even have wings for a reason other than looks in the first place). If more realistic constants are used in FS, that will make it more difficult to launch aircraft.

Under realistic constants, no-runway "falling starts" from naval ships would probably not be possible anymore, but should still be possible for planes launched from airships (there have been experiments with that kind of thing in real life). However, the good news is that it's still entirely possible to water-launch airplanes under realistic conditions - it just imposes certain design requirements, like the airplanes having to be able to float and keep their engines above water.

In FS, there may be a reason to have flight decks other than looks, since they would enable the launching of heavier (or more accurately, denser) airplanes.

Of course all this means that there would be significantly more to designing planes (and their launch platforms) in FS compared to FTD, which is a good thing in my book.