Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Indoors decoration
2017-01-11, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-01-11 06:25 PM by skratchR.)
Indoors decoration
So, My new big project has started. It's a huge-floating palace boat, like a yacht, but adapted to my inmense vanity. Idea came from the titanic, but I hope for it to be completely different.

What is the use of such a boat? None. But the best builds in this game are often the useless ones. Dont believe me? Ask khkpck . If that's not epic, I dont know what is.

So, while I get to work on the hull and so on, I thought we might discuss our ways to replicate furniture and decorate interiors with blocks in ftd. I have few tricks of this sort, and i'm going to need lots...

For example: i build showers using wireless transmitters as the part where the water comes from, neon lights with no light as the floor, and sometimes windows painted blue to separate from the rest of the bathroom.

Beds are 3m beams painted red with white ERA armors or enemy simulators as pillows.

Toilets are ion thrusters painted white (looks pretty safe) with vertical ERA armor on top, painted white.

Even though they are not actually 'interiors' I use sub vehicle spawners painted blacks as small anchors. I see a small similarity, ok??Big Grin

My blueprint thread: http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...?tid=27459
[Image: 7IUuNau.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-01-12, 01:06 AM
RE: Indoors decoration
Glass blocks with grey frames make okay heavy duty chains, as demonstrated by several DWG vessels.

Gauss rail segments (yes I know they're called railguns but they work more like coil guns okay?) make okay looking handrails, and look very different from using framed windows, so it's an alternative at least.

Need to test this, but couldn't you make a sort of overhead storage net using ERA placed on the ceiling in different colors? Or ERA placed back to back for a sort of fabric storage crate?

Steam pipes could be routed for plumbing. Pressure valves could make decent fire sprinklers.

Dediblades for ceiling fans.

The generic machinery piece looks kinda like a furnace.

A ton of constantly firing low-damage lasers with a wide firing angle, low accuracy, and on a seperate mainframe with no detection system connected could make a sweet light show.

Single-block missiles made of body segments could look like ejecting shells from a heavy main cannon.

Black AI transmitter connected at the base to a black steam or exhaust pipe could look sort of like a grenade launcher maybe?

Shell racks for- well, shell racks. And missile racks with if done with shells designed for that purpose.

Tactical nukes could look like a sack of something or other leaning on a wall.

My fanfic

(2017-03-17 12:40 PM)Gladyon Wrote:  Ships are less fun than rockets
But spaceships are undeniably cooler than both.
2017-01-12, 01:10 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-01-12 01:10 AM by skratchR.)
Hmm... Hadnt thought of many of those...
however...
(2017-01-12 01:06 AM)Alpha393 Wrote:  Tactical nukes could look like a sack of something or other leaning on a wall.
Nope, not gonna risk it!Big Grin

2017-01-12, 03:54 PM
Here are some of my tricks for decor:

APS 1m hydraulic absorbers make great anchor chains on the foc'sle. I use CRAM gauge increase corners as a hawsepipe and on larger ships with enough space I even run hydraulic absorbers belowdecks to the chain lockers in the bow. Go all the way down and you'll find both yellow and red shots of chain with white links in between to generally nod to how many shots there are. APS bore actuators look like solid vertical windlasses or capstans. If you have enough foc'sle space, lay strategic antennas next to your anchor chains to represent chain stoppers and pelican hooks.

On smaller builds, laser pumps look like bits. On larger ships, I use one of the 360 AI blocks (can't remember which one it is off the top of my head).

Pierce the deck with a 1x1 hole, set a turned off light panel next to it, and you have an "open" hatch. Small steam fireboxes also make great hatches (I wish the red on them would color with the rest of the block), but I only use them for closed scuttles. I'm of the mindset that if a hatch is open (and it's a square 1x1 opening), the square light panel makes more sense.

It takes a lot of work to turn them all off, but I also use light panels for thin metal bulwarks on superstructure or bridge wings. I know I could download After Cataclysm, but I'm waiting until the game is in beta and most content is finalized. If thin plates and other odds and ends haven't been added by then, I'll get mods. For now, I'm staying vanilla.

Missile gantries look like catwalks or flight deck nets on larger ships. A creative trick is to lay the gantries on their sides to represent a flight deck set for flight ops.

Large fancy resource storage containers look like rubber rafts fixed to the sides of superstructure or on top of turrets. Small ones look like deflated raft storage capsules that you see on modern ships.

I use AI wireless transmitters as pulleys on the ends of davits.

Radiators can be fitted into superstructure to look like a vent, particularly near funnels.

Cheers!
CaptainFVV
[Image: RjlD6mr.png]
Naval Register of Confederate States Ships (Alternate History Early 1900s/WWI)
Commonwealth of Powhaterra (AC)
2017-01-12, 04:00 PM
Pretty good ones indeed. I dont know what half of those things are tho...
Any builds of yours you might want to share? Looks like you know what you are doing.

2017-01-12, 04:48 PM
I'm currently away from my home computer where my blueprint files are, but here's a screenshot of my armored cruiser. She's a near-replica of the Pisa-class built by Italy during the first decade of the 20th century. One of these ships, Georgios Averof is still in existence with the Greek Navy, much like USS Constitution in the US Navy or HMS Victory in the Royal Navy.

I'm currently drafting a post to open a thread detailing my ships, so keep your eyes open over the next few days and you'll find blueprints (and more screenshots) there. I have built things ranging from a side-wheel commerce raider of the American Civil War to a completely original frigate based on the modern MEKO ships used in Europe today, but most of my designs are historically oriented, whether they're meant to be a replica or something new that's heavily inspired by real designs. If you go to the Steam workshop and look up CaptainFVV, you'll find some of my builds there already (I just haven't said anything about them here on the forums yet).

[Image: 20170110195659_1.jpg~original]

Cheers!
CaptainFVV
2017-01-13, 11:31 AM
That is one impressive ship! I'm downloading all your boats, this very moment. You are the first person apart from me who I have seen building a rigid hull inflatable boat!! Big Grin

2017-01-13, 05:17 PM
Two ships of mine are in dire need of a major refit. I'm currently rebuilding the hull of my Arleigh Burke-class DDG because her draft was too shallow (and she'll have steam turbines to represent her gas turbine plant). My build of USS Arizona is going to be reworked to better compartmentalize her hull and add a steam plant.

My German cruiser has a pretty solid interior, as does my Fletcher-class DD. Both would be worth an inside look.

Cheers!
CaptainFVV
2017-01-13, 05:21 PM
If you have time, you could take a look at my thread where I post most of my builds. Might be good to share ideas. Most of them are 'acceptable' enough, and any feedback is appreciated!

http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...?tid=26359