Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Love engineering, Hate getting stuck.
2017-01-11, 05:53 AM
Love engineering, Hate getting stuck.
Hi guys first time posting here and still new at the game. I have had a look for similar questions to no avail. I am loving the hell out of it though.

I have been playing adventure and just got started making larger battleship sized ships, on my first medium/big ship I went with a rounded hull as thats what I saw others doing. It floated and drove well enough, Never tilted to one side even under full turn and it did the job but it would never travel in a straight line. It would always turn very very slowly to one side. With the forces tool I could see a grey line shooting out of it to the left when I drove. I checked the ship over for issues with symmetry and weight, even checked the water pumps and prop placement and rudder. Finding nothing out of the ordinary I just decided to rebuild.

Now I have went with a simple flat bottomed ship as I have had good success with these so far. Now even after rebuilding it I am getting the exact same issue, tried everything I could to figure out a fix. From what I see the ship is symmetrical, Its weight is down the middle and not off to one side, my pumps are down the middle too, all unsubmerged, ship turns the same way no matter which way the waves are going. No gas issues as im am electric only atm.

I can handle my ship tilting when I turn and dolphin styling in and out the ocean but I HATE not going in a straight line. Kinda confused about what It could be and am looking for assistance if any kind soul would like to help.

(Also, ran into a 6mil material super god destroyer laser spaceship 20 minutes into adventure mode, fun times)

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  SS Dreadnaught.blueprint (Size: 259.1 KB / Downloads: 16)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-01-11, 09:23 AM
RE: Love engineering, Hate getting stuck.
(2017-01-11 05:53 AM)lordbiron Wrote:  No gas issues as im am electric only atm.

I don't have the time/actual skill or knowledge to look at the BP right now and help, but as a tip: "Gas issues" with balance will not happen because gas tanks don't change weight based on their content(AFAIK, no blocks CAN do that in this game), and pistons don't make torque on the vehicle or anything.

I design planes and tanks, mostly. Why? Because who builds ships in a naval building game?

"Those banished to Bogeyland never return; they are inevitably eaten alive by the bogeymen." --Wikipedia
2017-01-11, 10:01 AM
It does seem to be "one of those things" - I suffer from unexplainable turning too & there's been others with no apparent reasons. You could try mirroring one side of the vehicle with a blueprint tool, perhaps.

Poke my boat! pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - 6 ships made 2.0 aware. Regularily doing other things until the eye-strain post-processing can be disabled again; great game but not worth the literal headache.
2017-01-11, 10:25 AM
Nice ship hull! I tinkered around with it a bit and I didn't manage to make it go completely straight. I could reduce the Yaw rate by
-placing propulsion closer to the center line
-erasing the AI and hearstone since they were the only unsymmetric thing I could find
-and lifting the bow out of the water
If I had to guess I'd say it's because of the complicated front. Maybe the game has trouble calculating all the forces. Propulsion far from the ships center line can also cause this problem. Not sure if the asymmetric AI/heartstone had much to do with it but maybe it did.

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  SS Dreadnaught b.blueprint (Size: 256.6 KB / Downloads: 14)
2017-01-11, 03:46 PM
Thanks for all the help guys.

Quote: Artificial Insanity
I don't have the time/actual skill or knowledge to look at the BP right now and help, but as a tip: "Gas issues" with balance will not happen because gas tanks don't change weight based on their content(AFAIK, no blocks CAN do that in this game), and pistons don't make torque on the vehicle or anything.

I have seen gas and radiation pop up a few times, was not sure if they had an effect.

Quote: Richard Dastardly
It does seem to be "one of those things" - I suffer from unexplainable turning too & there's been others with no apparent reasons. You could try mirroring one side of the vehicle with a blueprint tool, perhaps.

Worth a try thanks.

Quote: Tomson
Nice ship hull! I tinkered around with it a bit and I didn't manage to make it go completely straight. I could reduce the Yaw rate by
-placing propulsion closer to the center line
-erasing the AI and hearstone since they were the only unsymmetric thing I could find
-and lifting the bow out of the water
If I had to guess I'd say it's because of the complicated front. Maybe the game has trouble calculating all the forces. Propulsion far from the ships center line can also cause this problem. Not sure if the asymmetric AI/heartstone had much to do with it but maybe it did.

Thanks I am new to it and have a budget to stick too but the ship should work quite well for most tasks. I also thought the AI/heartstone could of been causing the problem but even after removing these it still turned. I will try to completely redo the front end and see what difference it makes. I always have a hard time getting a rounded ship bow to look right and work well, might just go with a deep but narrow front end and take a hit to my speed.
2017-01-11, 04:04 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-01-11 04:45 PM by Geoff.)
Welcome to the forums!

I think this is probably a bug. It seems very hard to figure out the cause.

http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...?tid=26074

"I don't have to reinvent the wheel because you can teach me how it works."
"I tried being normal, but it got boring, so I went back to being me."
PS: Please make all keys in FTD remappable. Remappable while in game would be even better.
2017-01-11, 04:44 PM
So I rebuilt the bow of the ship, I actualy got a speed boost from it which is nice. I would have though a well curved front would beat a simple one but not the case here.
On top of that the issue has actualy been reduced, I am still getting some turn but its about a third of what it was before.

Richard Dastardly may indeed be correct about it just being "one of those things"
So is there any other way to fix this, like adding vertical hydrofoils and ACB or somethign else?
2017-01-11, 05:03 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-01-11 05:04 PM by Richard Dastardly.)
Oddly enough you might try some roll stabilisation if you don't have it - I noticed the worst offender of mine is gently spinning it's anti-roll props in one direction all the time. Mass is definitely central though, centre of bouyancy seems to be, there is a tiny list showing up in the roll PID graph. The side of the boat most in the water is going to have a little more drag.

Poke my boat! pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - 6 ships made 2.0 aware. Regularily doing other things until the eye-strain post-processing can be disabled again; great game but not worth the literal headache.
2017-01-11, 06:05 PM
one thing to note about lots of complex pieces in a bow:

-First, there currently appears to be a bug related to the drag calculation going around. several people have encountered phantom issues, but it's been hard for us to pin down conclusively and it isn't affecting most ships

-Second, when using sloped pieces they only count as sloped if they have clearance (there is no neighboring block) one block above the point where the slope terminates. Otherwise, they are seen as a solid square from the drag calculation's perspective. (for example, two triangle slopes placed back to back to form a wedge is ok, but if you place them one on top of the other, forming a 'V' shape the drag calculation will see two 1x1m squares). What this can do is when the ship tilts during a turn or when the waves lap against the hull you can have pieces that are sometimes under water (and reading as drag-heavy squares) and sometimes in air (much less noticeable, especially if an identical block on the other side is under water and thus causing more net drag in the other direction). on a complex bow this can be a problem, but I'm not on my PC to be able to check the BP at this time.

-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.
2017-01-11, 08:34 PM
All good information guys and thanks for your time. When I go for my next big size upgrade im going to test out some of the large battleships already in the game and make a similar hull or just outright steal it.

I hate to put an issue down to the games alpha status as it means its not something I can fix. Still good to know Im not going crazy/blind.

If it is a bug like the one found here http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...?tid=26074 I just hope its not linked to the actual ship rather than the parts im using. Id hate for the bug to stay constant no matter what I do with my current ship.

If anybody else wants to take a crack at it or wants to see the bug in action you can, however for now I will just make do, or use a thruster at the perfect strength to counter the turning.

Newest version here:

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  SS BuggedNaught.blueprint (Size: 300.93 KB / Downloads: 13)