Poll: My feeling on the multiplayer (in it's current state) is....
It's extremely important to me
It's very important to me - please leave it alone
I'm happy either way
I'd be happy to see it traded for single player content and polish
I don't use it or very seldom use it
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
Multiplayer
2017-03-11, 09:08 PM
RE: Multiplayer
(2017-02-15 01:21 AM)BadRAM Wrote:  
(2017-02-08 04:16 AM)saderbay Wrote:  I would rather see a feature stop on other areas and work on beefing up on multiplayer personally.

I second this. to go even further, I would be fine if certain features were removed to better facilitate multiplayer.

what purpose does rambot actually serve in the game? what if we just had a first person walkaround mode, no rambot health, respawn, weapons, ship capture, repair aura, or death? it would be a bit less to worry about both on the code and balance sides of things, and I dont really feel that first person interaction adds much to the game.

from the depths is a building game, a vehicle combat game, two RTSs, and an FPS. to make the FPS part of it fun would take a lot of work, and right now it seems to be the weakest link. cutting features sounds bad but its a good thing, as it shows that there is serious intent towards finishing the project. I welcome the cutting of unnecessary features. just please cut the least necessary first.

I respect your opinion, but, I like the 1st person element. How do I change my skin? Maybe I don't want to look like everyone else. It makes no sense to cut what work has already been done. Also, what Nick doesn't want to finish can be taken on by others? There are some talented modders out there for this game right now. The RTS side of it needs polished not expanded. The FPS part of it does need expanded. But I don't think it would take that much work. Adventure mode is already there. FPS should be focused with that mode as it removes the RTS side of it... which I find kind of annoying in the campaign mode. Anyroad, stripping ANYTHING from FTD makes about as much sense as stripping RTS from it.

Multiplayer Adventure Mode... w/land for base building! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-03-15, 03:02 PM
(2017-01-04 09:09 PM)Nick Smart Wrote:  Hey guys

Bit of a difficult subject here but long story short ...

You are my superhero making a game which so wonderfully complicated while containing parts I especially enjoy.
Also I've contacted the Seers, and they said you will be ready in 2018.

Long story short: you can do it, and there are a lot of modders who would gladly help you.
You can even get me for inside PR-psychologist when there are no motivation, and outside marketing if you feel not appreticated enough. Smile

(2017-01-04 09:09 PM)Nick Smart Wrote:  Please note that we are talking about the multiplayer as it is, not as it could be.. so assume there will never be dedicated servers, join in progress, PVP campaigns, perfect syncronisation

*raises one eyebrow* I am making a PVP campaign right now.
Would I be doomed to fail? It worked so nicely.

(2017-01-04 09:09 PM)Nick Smart Wrote:  I'm also interested in knowing what you use the multiplayer for and whether there is a passible way of keeping some of the same functionality without needing the syncronisation... for example keeping the lobby system for setting up AI fights but then not bothering to syncronise the actual combat (so that every player sees a different battle play out on their machine and can just chat). Something like this could be used for hosting tournaments.

I think in Supreme Commander only the mouse movements and clicks were sychronized (because units and shells behaved exactly the same) - is something like that would be partially possibble, if there are no random elements in your calculations? (even then, random with the same seed could be used)
You can get out the shovel from multiplayer, one level of raising and lowering doesn't worths the processing costs if they are high.

From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-03-15, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-03-15 03:33 PM by Normal69.)
And also the more heavy part, please do not overly concern yourself on this, Nick:
Before we bought the game, you've given us exact promises.

2017-03-15, 03:36 PM
(2017-03-11 09:08 PM)R2D2C Wrote:  I respect your opinion, but, I like the 1st person element. How do I change my skin? Maybe I don't want to look like everyone else. It makes no sense to cut what work has already been done. Also, what Nick doesn't want to finish can be taken on by others? There are some talented modders out there for this game right now. The RTS side of it needs polished not expanded. The FPS part of it does need expanded. But I don't think it would take that much work. Adventure mode is already there. FPS should be focused with that mode as it removes the RTS side of it... which I find kind of annoying in the campaign mode. Anyroad, stripping ANYTHING from FTD makes about as much sense as stripping RTS from it.

Agreed.
Avatar gives FPS and Vehicle simulator parts of the game.
I was devastated enough when NPCs disappeared. Smile

2017-03-15, 10:11 PM
I honestly don't care about game modes like AI fight, obelisk, death match, or the PvP multiplayer gamemodes at all. What I do care about is co-op building and normal campaigns like AOTE or quest for Niter. Ditch the P2P multiplayer but keep Multiplayer for designer and co-op campaigns. One thing that might help is getting rid of the ability for players to hurt or kill each other.
2017-03-18, 10:18 AM
There could be special mode designed only for bulding without physics but with ability ty easily synchronise it.

Modding in multiplayer isn't feasible because synchronisation code must be highly integrated in every class that needs.
2017-03-18, 10:26 AM
(2017-03-18 10:18 AM)Fernir Wrote:  Modding in multiplayer isn't feasible because synchronisation code must be highly integrated in every class that needs.

No, I'm sure modding in multiplayer isn't that hard to achieve. At least for modded blocks.
There is a function to call to send the modified data, and that's all.

The problem is that it seems that there's at least 2 ways of doing it.
And I'm not sure which one must be used, why and when.
And I'm not sure it's really enough.

But if Nick wrote a post explaining what we have to do it would make things easier for modders.
Currently, as we're not sure what to do, and because we have no ways to test it, we just don't bother (coding something without a way of testing it is useless).

For modders, synchronizing things outside of blocks may prove to be more complicated.
It would be different each time, and may not be possible in some cases.
2017-03-21, 04:14 AM
I was only able to convince my friends and my dad to play this because it had multiplayer. I understand it makes life harder but the unfortunate thing about life is its never easy. Please don't take that as conniving or a strike at you. I get how hard it is to bug test and the likes, it kills you slowly and if you have a bug that takes days to find you will probably go insane. Just want you to understand something though, Stardrive was suppose to have multiplayer and it never came. That dev than found himself a shit storm of hate on an amazing game all because he took the easy route and never stuck to his guns. Just gotta remember, even if you hate it and it sucks getting outside of your comfort zone will bring you much closer to being the best you can be. Thank you Nick for everything you have done. Within a single year your game has the highest play time for me on steam at 302 hours. the next one is me playing Planetside 2 at 301 hours and that was on and off due to a really good outfit(clan) that made the game fun and not the game itself.

As a side note, are you able to implement a system that would make it so you could 'convert' singleplayer coding into multiplayer with like a 80% success rate?
Yesterday, 01:45 AM
And another game falls victim to the MP quagmire. I have witness too many promising games fall with the decision to support MP, rather than focus on features and game quality.

With that being said, I'm sure Nick will do an amazing job of mixing the two.
I really had hopes that Nick would be able to finish development of this wonderful game unhindered by the added complexity and restrictions of MP.

Its seems these days that the SP game is all but a thing of the past. Game sales has now cost gamers not only quality, but an entire genre of games.

I am not saying this to offend or belittle anyones opinion. Just expressing my thoughts as a long time gamer.

Sad day indeed.
Sad
Yesterday, 06:46 AM
I have been busy and missed this thread until recently.

Not sure if this has been said yet and I don't have a lot of time tonight to read the forum, so please forgive me if someone mentioned this and/or answered it.

Perhaps set aside Multiplayer until after the games general development is complete? After development is complete MP could be pursued as it's own project.