Poll: My feeling on the multiplayer (in it's current state) is....
It's extremely important to me
It's very important to me - please leave it alone
I'm happy either way
I'd be happy to see it traded for single player content and polish
I don't use it or very seldom use it
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Multiplayer
Today, 02:18 AM
RE: Multiplayer
I voted yes. But I've thought about it. Playing this game Multi is fun, but also broken.... So removing it and polishing SP into a diamond rather than a rough carbon copy of what it could be, is preferred. Perhaps multiplayer could come later after this game is long finished and achieved its potential but that would be a false hope considering the direction you would have to take.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Today, 07:24 AM
The whole point of FTD's single player to me... is to gain skill, levels, and blue prints for multiplayer...

I even got it just to play with friends. Had this been a single player game I would have never bothered with it to be honest.

Heck if it goes single player I'll probably just ditch it entirely and never recommend it to anyone, heck I'd recommend people not bother and stick with games that do offer a sandbox experience and multiplayer.

I mean From the Depths COULD justify single player only if it had things like Crew mechanics where each ship was its own little ecosystem... But that isn't what the game is... heck it goes out of its way not to be a single player game.
Today, 07:31 AM
Well I understand you point of view. But saying the game is bad just because it dropped multi is a bit extreme considering. The multiplayer is awesome. But this is a one man team.

Then again most of my expeirences have been SP so I consider myself a little biased, and do expect that the multi scene is fun. I think there is a middle ground to be had, and if not keeping multiplayer won't destroy the game's development. As is, its already turned into the best Voxel building combat game I know of.
Today, 08:32 AM (This post was last modified: Today 08:38 AM by Neonivek.)
(Today 07:31 AM)DattMuffinMan Wrote:  Well I understand you point of view. But saying the game is bad just because it dropped multi is a bit extreme considering. The multiplayer is awesome. But this is a one man team.

Then again most of my expeirences have been SP so I consider myself a little biased, and do expect that the multi scene is fun. I think there is a middle ground to be had, and if not keeping multiplayer won't destroy the game's development. As is, its already turned into the best Voxel building combat game I know of.

Excuses are fine and dandy if I was a school teacher and From the Depths was a project.

Yet when talking about a videogame it doesn't matter how limited the developer is, how little money they have, or even their relative skill level because there is no consolation prize. It is all about how good that videogame is.

So, if this is an open sandbox game where I have extreme construction ability and aesthetics are mostly "on the side" what is the game supplying me in a single player capacity? All I have to do is dip into Subnautica, another single player open sandbox game, to see the leagues of difference between the two.

Multiplayer justifies the game's limitations and direction. Heck the entire leveling system doesn't even make sense without multiplayer and needs to be redesigned once again.

Ultimately without multiplayer this game turns into a "Look what I can do!" game. One of those games that gets sales but its fanbase is almost entirely people who don't play the game and instead watch youtube videos on it (You know... Twitch stream games Tongue).

As for "It might not turn out bad", I mean sure... if I was completely delusional and believed that the developer would take the entire game in a radically different direction. That is why there is no middle ground... because I am not going to create the entire FTD game in my head and substitute the actual game being made with it. It has a clear direction and it isn't going to suddenly deviate from that to become a single player experience.

---

Ultimately yes it is Nick's game and if he feels like multiplayer is holding this game back then he should do it.

I am only saying that it not only completely destroys the entire point of playing it in my eyes... But that the game is heavily based on the idea that the game is multiplayer as it is... That the game would lose its clemency as its limitations can no longer be hoisted on its multiplayer functionality like, say, most multiplayer sandbox games.

Not to mention it destroys the entire sales pitch I gave people to buy the game as well and anyone who is typically interested in it... is looking for multiplayer. So I'd have to also recommend them not to get it.
Today, 11:55 AM
I don't play this game for the multiplayer, nor did I care for it when I bought the game. I did join this community full of other people playing the same game, but we have no problem interacting, collaborating and competing without the use of multiplayer (throwing blueprints back and forth, performing mock battles on each end). As far as I can see, half the people want to keep multiplayer over development time and half are the other way round.
I haven't found other sandbox games with this much freedom on creativity (that is, with some sort of primary purpose), and I don't think I'll be sinking as much time into any other game after I've played FtD. All without actually getting into multiplayer. So while I understand some people absolutely adore multiplayer and would hate to have it go, ultimately it's not the reason I'm enjoying this game so much, and I don't really care if it gets to stay (I wouldn't mind trading it for quicker new content release, though there is a short break on FtD development for now).
Today, 03:47 PM
(Today 08:32 AM)Neonivek Wrote:  "Snip"

Honestly, it sounds like you just want to say the game is garbage and doesn't compare to the competition. I wont try and dance around issues like you did. I disagree with all your points and think you are imperceptive if you can't see how roundly this game is loved, and for more then just it's multiplayer