Poll: Do yo like my suggestion?
Yes
Yes, but cannons should be rebalansed after that
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Simple shield rework
2017-01-02, 11:13 AM
Simple shield rework
Removing shield stacking make them more balanced, but shields now nightmare to place. And you still can place 3-4 shield layers witout spin block exploit. This make most shell types useless. Most players hate current shielding. http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...?tid=26149

I suggest remove anti stack mechanic, and make it so that stacked shields did not give advantages.

So my suggestion:
When shoot a shell, it get random variable "ShieldPenetrate" from 0 to 100.
When shell hit a shield, it deflected if "ShieldPenetrate" less then shield reflect chance.
With this new system it does not matter how many shields you stack. Even if you use 10 shields with reflect chance 90%, shells with "ShieldPenetrate" above 90 will penetrate it. So reflect chance will be still 90%. It more balanced and allow more shell diversity. With old system it will be 99% reflect chance with two layers and 99.9% with 3 layers.

I think it also easy to implement.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-01-02, 11:31 AM
RE: Simple shield rework
While your idea would be much better then what we have now, it is what you said it was; a rebalance. At this point we have had enough rebalances to the current system to show it is flawed as an enjoyable mechanic and needs to be changed entirely.

There is one way to destroy shadow: light. But light creates more shadow then it destroys...

Many think light is the fastest in the universe. But, wherever light goes, darkness got there first
2017-01-02, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-01-02 01:21 PM by ARCAGNELL0.)
While I agree shield stacking thru spinblocks and turret mounting should be heavily punished placing them all on the hull requires careful planning and a lot of sacrifices.

In order to make a 4 layer shield system you need to place a shield projector every meter and arrange all shields at definite pattern and distances, consuming a ton of power, hull space, RP and patience.

I agree on the fact some shell types should not be useless even against minimal shield intensity but giving shield such a direct and extensive nerf would make inertial HE/Heat/Frag shells even more effective than they are now by proxy.

When it comes to doing a quick balance pass on shield vs shell mechanics, I'd

1) change shield powering mechanics making them run on battery power alone and require recharging when hit in the way laser shields currently do

2) make the actual shield busting shell type (dis. Conduit) usable on high level builds

I know shields can feel unfair when fought against but remember this:

Units with arguably the most complex and effective shielding spend half their overall engine power to keep them up, and that's not counting the extra engine power to keep charging laser shields when hit. The Meteor uses a good 100.000 engine power to feed the frontal 36 CSI (combined shield intensity) layering, the Dominion uses a whopping 200k engine power for the all round 14 CSI wich does not even do much against high caliber HE, heat and inertial frag.

Shielding does not shoot back and is without a doubt the more energy inefficient the more powerful you want it to be, think about both those vehicles with all that space used for engines dedicated to APS systems or missiles instead; they'd have the highest fire power in the game and would pulverize anything in seconds.

Wouldn't this thread be more fitting if it was in the block balance section? I also think that given how much this topic is being spammed in the latest days it would have been better to post it in an existing discussion.

I do not apply murder to the vehicle, the murder has the vehicle built around it! -ARCAGNELL0

"If there is no struggle, there is no progress" -Frederick Douglass

(2017-01-23 04:32 PM)Shade Wrote:  I think you can basically stack infinite shields in an arc
2017-01-02, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-01-02 02:54 PM by killshoot.)
(2017-01-02 01:13 PM)ARCAGNELL0 Wrote:  In order to make a 4 layer shield system you need to place a shield projector every meter and arrange all shields at definite pattern and distances, consuming a ton of power, hull space, RP and patience.
With every meter shield placement you can add more then 4 layers of shields.
I attach example screenshoots how you can do it.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

2017-01-02, 03:26 PM
(2017-01-02 02:54 PM)killshoot Wrote:  
(2017-01-02 01:13 PM)ARCAGNELL0 Wrote:  In order to make a 4 layer shield system you need to place a shield projector every meter and arrange all shields at definite pattern and distances, consuming a ton of power, hull space, RP and patience.
With every meter shield placement you can add more then 4 layers of shields.
I attach example screenshoots how you can do it.

Yeah butterfly shielding achieves even more layering, didn't do that for balance reasons since most people don't even go above one complete layer and the Lamb thing needed to be heavily nerfed already to keep it in line with other godlies.

Going above 4 layers and lowering intensity increases energy efficiency by a large margin without any loss in accuracy wich would make the Meteor even a more hated vehicle than I already is Tongue

I do not apply murder to the vehicle, the murder has the vehicle built around it! -ARCAGNELL0

"If there is no struggle, there is no progress" -Frederick Douglass

(2017-01-23 04:32 PM)Shade Wrote:  I think you can basically stack infinite shields in an arc
2017-01-03, 03:52 AM
at first i was hesitant to back the idea because im not a fan of randomness but the system right now is like that kinda (percent chance to block is on the shield right now rather than the shell) i actually agree that this version of moving it to the shell may be a better idea
2017-01-05, 03:54 AM
Not against shield changes. But voted no because there are a few better proposals out there.

-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.
2017-01-05, 04:20 AM
I vote no, because some people (like me) don't want to go through the hassle of adding more shells just to deal with shields. I know shield stacking is a thing, but this new mechanic can rule out other ways of dealing with shields. Heck, we even have a dedicated shell head just for taking out shields, albeit not the best. Not to mention, but it can extend the development time of the game, making much wanted features taking longer to develop, just for this one new mechanic.

TL;DR I vote no.

"You see Ivan, if you fire gun like this, you will never shoot the inaccurate because of fear of blowing up ammo barrels." - Potato Man

"If you have too much firepower, your ship is going to either Russia where it belongs or Australia because it capsized" - Potato Man