Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Center of Mass Aimpoint Card
2016-12-25, 03:39 AM
Center of Mass Aimpoint Card
It is really annoying when you have to choose between your cannons barely missing the stern of a ship because of ammo decoys, or your cannons trying to shoot a mast. Can we please have an aimpoint card that just shoots at the COM?

[Referring to drumstick engines] "majyst:The Rapier? WTF, cant Teamspeak people just build a Lamb ship without trying to cheat the system"
I've made some forum themes.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-12-25, 06:47 PM
RE: Center of Mass Aimpoint Card
and changes this aim-point to local COMs so we don't end up aiming at the newly cored hole the entire fight.

-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.
2016-12-26, 11:07 AM
(2016-12-25 06:47 PM)Lincrono Wrote:  and changes this aim-point to local COMs so we don't end up aiming at the newly cored hole the entire fight.

The target aim is done via targeting a live block.
So, it is possible to target the live block closest to the CoM pretty easily in the code.
2017-12-02, 03:24 AM
(2016-12-26 11:07 AM)Gladyon Wrote:  
(2016-12-25 06:47 PM)Lincrono Wrote:  and changes this aim-point to local COMs so we don't end up aiming at the newly cored hole the entire fight.

The target aim is done via targeting a live block.
So, it is possible to target the live block closest to the CoM pretty easily in the code.

I realise that this thread is almost a year old now, but I've been having the same trouble as 7thFleet and I really think that the AI aiming in this game needs a tweak or two. If aiming for COM is easy to code, may it be included in the next update?
Either replacing the current random-block targeting or in the form of a new AI card is fine. Apologies if I'm beating a dead horse here. Smile
2017-12-02, 05:18 AM
(2017-12-02 03:24 AM)BorderWise Wrote:  I realise that this thread is almost a year old now, but I've been having the same trouble as 7thFleet and I really think that the AI aiming in this game needs a tweak or two. If aiming for COM is easy to code, may it be included in the next update?
Either replacing the current random-block targeting or in the form of a new AI card is fine. Apologies if I'm beating a dead horse here. Smile

It isn't, really - aimpoint comes up in discussions reasonably frequently & usually the conclusion is that it needs changing somehow. Until then, Gladyon's ( he's the guy there with the red dev name ) Protectech mods contain an alternate configurable aimpoint card. It will fall back to the stock aimpoint if you remove the mod, so you don't have to worry about not being compatible.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 12/01/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2017-12-02, 09:35 AM
In the next version it will be possible to set the maximum duration to target a block, until the AI choose to target another block.
It will also be possible to disable the standard AimPoint card behaviour, so you'll either target a Mainframe+Ammo block or a random block.

I'm not completely sure about the center of mass, it's probably too powerful as you'll always target the same place in the target, and that can be devastating (because usually there are a lot of very important blocks in the middle of a vehicle) .
My initial tests are showing a vast increase in performance when doing that, a lot more than targeting weapons.

That's why for now I have settled with just the timer, it's enough to avoid the current main problem which is that if the AI decide to target a useless block on the back of the target most of the shells will miss and as long as the targeted block isn't destroyed then you'll continue to fire at a place that cannot harm the target.
2017-12-03, 06:40 AM
(2017-12-02 09:35 AM)Gladyon Wrote:  In the next version it will be possible to set the maximum duration to target a block, until the AI choose to target another block.
It will also be possible to disable the standard AimPoint card behaviour, so you'll either target a Mainframe+Ammo block or a random block.

I'm not completely sure about the center of mass, it's probably too powerful as you'll always target the same place in the target, and that can be devastating (because usually there are a lot of very important blocks in the middle of a vehicle) .
My initial tests are showing a vast increase in performance when doing that, a lot more than targeting weapons.

That's why for now I have settled with just the timer, it's enough to avoid the current main problem which is that if the AI decide to target a useless block on the back of the target most of the shells will miss and as long as the targeted block isn't destroyed then you'll continue to fire at a place that cannot harm the target.

Good, glad to hear it. Thanks for letting us know. Smile