Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.33 Average
Eagle Industries presents: The Battlecruiser HMS Overlord
2017-09-08, 04:20 PM
RE: Eagle Industries presents: The Battlecruiser HMS Overlord
HEAT is rubbish at the moment, yes. But I haven't swapped out the HEAT rounds for others because I haven't yet experimented with these larger calibre rounds yet. The calibre itself is fine. The advantage of smaller calibres is that they are harder to detect.
Thanks for your feedback Smile

Procrastination level is over 9000
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-08, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-08 05:04 PM by Richard Dastardly.)
(2017-09-08 04:14 PM)BlitzkriegBob Wrote:  I've been running a few shell tests since the issue of v2.0; my opinion is that you can get rid of shaped charge head, and give a try to something like HE/Frag/composite head, with 10° cone for frag. works well on armor + shield combo. Also, you can try loading one barrel per turret with shield disruptors, Thyr-style.

With the way frag damage scales with angle now a 10deg cone is *not* the way - better off to try and remove the shield & throw stuff at the hull. The frag changes without shield changes are what made all my med calibre stuff hopeless...

HEAT is still great. What you need now though is much higher pen metric - I've been testing with 100-110 or so, that still works nicely. HESH is the other thing - against metal hull ships it's basically pendepth frag. Hopeless vs shields though, so back to removing shields again...

3m loaders are awkward. I'd be looking somewhere in the 300mms personally. From a quick look at pure HE dmg for some gun specs I have lying around, best raw DPM would be 414mm, but that's very slow firing. Very close behind is 322mm with a little lower muzzle velocity also, but around 50% more shells in the air ( and now I realise I don't think I updated these formula, so 322mm might do a bit better than I suspect ).

Poke my boat! pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - 6 ships made 2.0 aware. Regularily doing other things until the eye-strain post-processing can be disabled again; great game but not worth the literal headache.
2017-09-08, 07:56 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-08 08:56 PM by BlitzkriegBob.)
(2017-09-08 04:47 PM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  With the way frag damage scales with angle now a 10deg cone is *not* the way - better off to try and remove the shield & throw stuff at the hull. The frag changes without shield changes are what made all my med calibre stuff hopeless...

Surprisingly, yes, this works fine. My old combo shaped charge head / Frag has been killed by v2.00, but HE / frag 10° / composite works really fine. Well, at least for a 500mm shell, i didn't try yet with smaller caliber.

I tried using an Excalibur and a Thyr as benchmark, both on my battlecruiser and light cruiser. With a 4-barrels configuration, 4 shells HE/Frag 10°/comp. head pierce through shield and armor way faster than 3 HESH + 1 Disruptor (and by saying "piercing through armor",i mean actually "detonating turrets ammo loaders"). I guess there is something with the way HE is managed now, but this works, give it a try! Wink

Edit: just tried with the 293mm of my frigate, HESH perfom better than HE/Frag on unshielded target; if shield is involved, they seem to be more or less on par. Before v2.0, frag/shaped charge was simply better than everything (well, at least according to my tests and going against campaign units only). I think we can forget frag for low gauges, but seems still viable at high ones.

Edit 2: Forget it, HESH as clearly an edge at small gauge, even against shields (well, light shields, at least).
2017-09-09, 10:06 AM
HESH doesn't do anything unless it actually hits a structural part though, or at least the HESH effect won't do anything, so I would still never just shoot HESH at shields, which is why I don't fuse HESH rounds. You can see what I'm testing for 3 barrel turrets, I uploaded a gunnery test platform - I did have frag rounds in there before, but underwhelming enough that I got rid of them.

Anything under around 225mm I wouldn't use a HE-based round for anyway - wide-cone frag is a bit silly, if you can get rid of shields; unfortunately DC shells are pretty bad at that gauge for the same reason HE-based ones are.

Poke my boat! pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - 6 ships made 2.0 aware. Regularily doing other things until the eye-strain post-processing can be disabled again; great game but not worth the literal headache.
2017-09-09, 10:49 AM
HESH works pretty well at lower gauges, I've been swapping out my 200mm rounds from HEAT to HESH. They do tonnes more damage than HEAT when hitting the hull, and if the explosion radius is large enough they do good damage to shielded craft, too. Against higher tier units, both HEAT and HESH fall short.
FRAG is a bit of a hit and miss though, and I'm not sure how much I am actually liking frags. On lightly armoured craft they do tonnes of damage, but with a bit of armour the fragments just have little effect.

2017-09-09, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-09 12:19 PM by Richard Dastardly.)
I've kept frag for small AAA guns - pretty much all I think I'm going to use small guns for anyway, I stuck a 300mm turret on my tiny missile corvette last night & it's very silly. Agreed with HESH hull damage ( though it's still terrible vs wood hulls ), HEAT is not meant for taking chunks off hulls. For 200mm I'm not sure I'd use either ( actually I wouldn't use 200mm for anything other than smoke right now ). Tried upping the calibre of those?

2017-09-09, 12:39 PM
Tried a few combo for main guns; looks like the best setup is to use 1 disruptor shell and 2 HESH per turret. Been using Excalibur as a benchmark; could go through some more test maybe, especially against targets with LAMS. I din't do anything with the AAA guns, I must admit.
2017-09-09, 01:05 PM
(2017-09-09 12:19 PM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  I've kept frag for small AAA guns - pretty much all I think I'm going to use small guns for anyway, I stuck a 300mm turret on my tiny missile corvette last night & it's very silly. Agreed with HESH hull damage ( though it's still terrible vs wood hulls ), HEAT is not meant for taking chunks off hulls. For 200mm I'm not sure I'd use either ( actually I wouldn't use 200mm for anything other than smoke right now ). Tried upping the calibre of those?

I love 200mm's. They are just very good to get a decent firing speed out of, the damage done by the shells is good (except for HEAT, which just sucks atm) and unlike 250mm and up they get less well detected by muniwarners and as compared to <200mm they do just that much more damage.

2017-09-09, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-09 01:25 PM by Richard Dastardly.)
(2017-09-09 12:39 PM)BlitzkriegBob Wrote:  Tried a few combo for main guns; looks like the best setup is to use 1 disruptor shell and 2 HESH per turret. Been using Excalibur as a benchmark; could go through some more test maybe, especially against targets with LAMS. I din't do anything with the AAA guns, I must admit.

If your loaders are long enough, DC/EMP/EMP/S-HEAT/HE*n is usable instead of raw DC & gives you a variety package of fun. Probably not under 6m.

Don't have to teach me why ~200mm is so nice for turret design Tongue for the same number of loaders 300mm is a fairly hefty damage increase for HE based stuff though.

2017-09-09, 01:33 PM
Yeah, but I just don't like 300mm's on mid-size craft. Hell, even most of my cruisers sport 250mm's...