Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.33 Average
Eagle Industries presents: The Battlecruiser HMS Overlord
2016-12-16, 10:01 AM
RE: Eagle Industries presents: The Battlecruiser HMS Overlord
Thanks Shiroi! I'll tuck those Mainframes into a layer of HA then. I do have to ask; are you specifically targetting the AI? Because in my fights against the Overlord, if it loses it loses only when at 60% and sinking, not because the AI has gone...
But nevertheless, it's a glaring weak spot so I'll address it.

(2016-12-16 12:53 AM)Lincrono Wrote:  also for eagle: 500ppf is very efficient. I realize efficiency has changed recently. But it used to be that 350ppf was on the high end of what was practical while 60-200 was more typical for high-power craft. I know that 700-1000ppf is easily attainable now on realistic engines, but a battleship getting 350ppf is very practical and can run for a considerable period of time before needing refueling.

I also think you're overestimating how 'efficient' modern ships actually are. Most of the non-nuclear ones use gas turbines. These are 'efficient' only in that there are no truly good ways to move things as large as a modern warship.

Well, it may be my own frame of mind but I see 500 ppf as fuel guzzling Tongue The engines on the Aegis light cruiser attain almost 1600 ppf, and the engines on the Overlord attain 1400 ppf, which given my fuel reserves gives me a combat duration of 45 min tops. Less fuel efficiency means more fuel storage, which is of course perfectly possible but non the less a bit of a logistical nightmare during the campaign Wink
I'll be redesigning the Overlord a bit though, I was thinking to take out the current electric generators, and make them more powerful at the cost of low rpm efficiency (which they don't really need because the generators will mostly be running on full power). By adding more batteries and more electric engines while lowering the max output I'll actually get free energy in the form of 130+% efficiency.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-12-16, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 2016-12-16 10:35 AM by Shiroi_Okami.)
My craft were all AI controlled so I wasn't specifically targeting the AI, no. That said My craft do have aim point cards, which seems to make them toss up between shooting something in the rear of the ship (ammo?) or shooting at the AI. But usually the AI winds up being the target

Also when you test the overlord, remember to put it on a different team to yours, as in designer, vehicles on 'player's team/my team' won't get AI dead or too damaged
2016-12-16, 10:46 AM
I know, I usually spawn them as DWG. I did a battle between the Overlord and the Overlord yesterday, which was quite amusing, but no dead AI.
There is a large ammo storage located in the stern and in the bow section of the ship, on purpose; because they are the least critical places and the loss of one of the ammo storages doesn't at all cripple the ship. Smile
2016-12-16, 11:08 AM
Hmm, then I'm not sure. It may be an interaction with the aim point card with respect to certain vessels, because the Dissonance always seems to target the rear ammo cache first, whereas the gunships seem to exclusively target the AI in the center
2016-12-16, 12:11 PM
(2016-12-16 11:08 AM)Shiroi_Okami Wrote:  Hmm, then I'm not sure. It may be an interaction with the aim point card with respect to certain vessels, because the Dissonance always seems to target the rear ammo cache first, whereas the gunships seem to exclusively target the AI in the center

The aimpoint card target either an ammo box or a mainframe.
As there are usually (a lot) more ammo boxes than mainframes, it usually go for ammo boxes first, but that's not guaranteed.
And it won't change the targeted block until it's dead.

There is no difference between ships or anything else, it's just as dumb as a random choice between ammo boxes and mainframes blocks.
2016-12-16, 12:29 PM
Better armour up the Mainframe then.

Meanwhile I've built a new engine in true spirit of Eagle Industries, moar power with even higher efficiency, 1000 bhp with 1800 ppf. (coming from an engine almost the same size with 600 bhp and 1400 ppf)

...I'm not satisfied yet, so time to build another one.
2016-12-16, 12:38 PM
I would very much like to see these engines. Of course the ships look amazing, but I'm more interested in collecting all sorts of engines at the moment.

[Image: 50157_s.png]
[Image: 50157_v.png]
2016-12-16, 12:54 PM
No problem Smile I'll upload the engines once I'm happy with them!
2016-12-16, 01:22 PM (This post was last modified: 2016-12-16 02:07 PM by Eagle.)
It has been done!
I've rebuilt the engine, which has approx the same footprint as before (It is 2 m longer, but it produces not 600BHP but 1000BHP and the efficiency has gone up from 1747 at high RPM to...

[Image: jCjkw1r.jpg]

I'll be swapping out the engines later, and I'll upload the bp of the engines I have in use later. Smile

Edit: Funny thing is, my fuel consumption has changed as well, of course. Going from 4 units for 600 power to 2,8 for 1000 power. So I'm actually using less fuel now. Haha
2016-12-16, 02:13 PM
If you're mostly relying on electric engines you can just ACB fuel engines to turn off when the battery charge is above a certain amount, which lets you use engines optimised for max RPM. I wouldn't do them *all* like that obviously because if you lose batteries it won't compensate, but hybridizing like that is something I've used pretty successfully.

Real ship engines measure fuel consumption in tons per hour ( especially at full speed ), so a few small fuel boxes like ours use is pretty much nothing.