Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.33 Average
Eagle Industries presents: The Battlecruiser HMS Overlord
2016-12-14, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-07 10:39 PM by Eagle.)
Eagle Industries presents: The Battlecruiser HMS Overlord
[Image: 57M7Ilc.jpg]

Welcome to Eagle Industries, a startup company that brings you the best brand spanking new military hardware out there. If you're looking for an honest, environmentally responsible product; you've come to the right place!

The fleet
All ships, submarines and flying machines are designed around a realistic, near-future tech style. As they are a representation of current and near-future tech, a number of design constraints are in place. Every ship is designed for a specific task in the fleet, be it naval bombardment, patrol, Anti-Air, anti-submarine, et cetera. Individual ships often excel at one or two tasks, but are inferior to others and thus need supporting. Furthermore, realistic design also imposes limits on the amount and kind of weapons used. I dislike the use of fast firing high gauge guns, or a ship that has every last bit of space used for offensive or defensive weapons. Every ship also has a trade-off in armour, so that it can remain reasonably bouyant without fear of submerging parts of the deck or even weapons during normal operations. Engine design is based around fuel efficiency. A ship gets the most fuel efficient engine it can support, since maritime operations require ships to be independent of refueling and restocking for long periods of time. Being near-future tech ships, LAMS are used, but offensive weapons are ruled out and the use of shields is limited. LAMS are furthermore underpowered, and need to stock in energy first since the limited engine power doesn’t allow for large LAMS installations to be used.

The only exception on the eco-friendly engines are on aircraft, since they usually don't have the space for a huge engine that only has a limited output, but even they should have more than a combat durability of around an hour or more (if they last that long). Furthermore, aircraft also use shields more.

Now that her development and sea trials are completed, let's introduce the new flagship of Eagle Industries: The HMS Overlord

[Image: Ym8d78e.jpg]

Class: Battlecruiser
Primary role: Anti-Capital ship
Cost: 436234
Dimensions:
L: 196 m
W: 31 m
H: 43 m
T: 20957 T
V: 57227
Power: 36000BHP
Top speed: 12 m/s
Weapon loadout:
Main guns: Three turrets: 3x300mm 180 RPM GTG/A HEAT
Secondary guns: Two turrets: 6x80mm 240 RPM GTA FRAG
Tertiary guns: Six broadside turrets, each: 6x60mm 140 RPM GTA Frag
Auxiliary guns: Four broadside Quad-Autocannon turrets
Missiles: Forty MR-L6 G/ATG 100/2600 missiles in four VLMS
Twenty MR-L5 GTA/G 120/2000 missiles in four VLMS
Twenty MR-L6 G/ATG 160/1600 in two VLMS
Torpedoes Four broadside turrets (two on each side) with a total of twenty T-L8 62/4400 torpedoes

Armour:
Hull: 2 m Metal, 2 m airgap, 1 m metal
Deck: 1 to 2 m
Superstructure: 1 to 2 m
Main guns: Superstructure has one meter of metal
Secondary guns: Superstructure has one meter of metal
Tertiary guns: Superstructure has at most one meter of LWA
Defensive systems:
Six Flare dispensers
Four Flare/Radar buoy dispensers
Four broadside Sonar buoy dispensers
Smoke canisters
One Forward LAMS installation
Four Broadside LAMS installations (two on each side)
Ten broadside strength 5 shields
Six anti-missile missiles
Six Anti-Torpedo Torpedoes
Strong against: Almost all surface craft, all aircraft, all submarines, most airships and thrustercraft
Weak against: Thyr, Kobold
Defenceless against: None

The Overlord is the pinnacle of Eagle Industries engineering, and incorporates the latest technologies, including limited broadside shielding. Designed to be able to handle even the heaviest and most heavily armed and armored counterparts, the Overlord is a fleet on it's own, and needs little to no support.
Her armour is designed to be able to withstand heavy punishment, with her hull being made out of a 2x2x2 metal, airgap, metal configuration, leading to superior protection against both torpedoes as shells. The twenty torpedoes in four broadside launchers ensure that any surface ship or submarine is in serious risk of getting it's hull smashed up.
The main armament is designed to take care of both surface ships and thrustercraft, and employ APHE and HEAT shells to do so. High speed Frag shells are also in store, so a heavily shielded target may require a quick shell switch on the APHE turrets A and C.
She's activily stabilized by six PID controlled roll-thrusters, which will virtually eliminate roll and even capsizing (although she's perfectly stable without).
Combatduration is approximately 45 min, after which she'll need to be refueled.

Lastly, a Sauna is included on E-deck for finnish players.

Some pictures:

[Image: TH5irfp.jpg]
Side view

[Image: DAhMMgc.jpg]

[Image: iKFBwnm.jpg]
Two of the torpedolaunchers

[Image: JFxIF2X.jpg]
Deployable flare launchers

[Image: KVKRzxO.jpg]
Interior

[Image: QwSjRx1.jpg]

[Image: clX0Oaq.jpg]

[Image: eMjRkwK.jpg]

Two versions of the Overlord are included, the normal Overlord, and a more CPU friendly version where pretty much all the lighting as been removed.
Enjoy!

Spearfish medium patrol boat
Cobra large patrol boat

Corvettes
Triton class Light Corvette
Neptune class Medium Corvette

Poseidon class Heavy Corvette
Destroyers
Conquest class Light Destroyer
Endurance class Medium Destroyer
Superiority class Medium AA-Destroyer
Heavy AA Destroyer [Under study]
Frigates
Supremacy Medium Frigate
Intrepid Heavy Frigate
Vanguard Super-heavy Frigate
Cruisers
Aegis Light Cruiser
Themis class Medium Cruiser
Overlord class Battlecruiser
Submarines
Orka light Attack submarine
Bluefin medium Attack Submarine
Stingray heavy Attack Submarine
Cargo and utility
Walrus class General Cargo and Tanker
Liberty class General Cargo
Freightmaster class General Cargo and Tanker

H4 Badger Cargo helicopter
Mobile Mining solutions
Surveyer medium mining ship
Prospector large mining ship
H4 Badger Resource Miner

Aircraft, helicopters and gunships
H3 Butcher gunship
H4 Vulture gunship
S1 Shield fighter/bomber

The CPU version is up to date (v51).

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  HMS Overlord CPU-F.blueprint (Size: 1,011.91 KB / Downloads: 107)
.blueprint  HMS Overlord.blueprint (Size: 1.01 MB / Downloads: 176)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-12-14, 05:15 PM
RE: Eagle Industries presents: The Battlecruiser HMS Overlord
Lamb is this ship a beauty! As usual your shots of your fleet on the move can't be beat!

-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.
2016-12-14, 06:17 PM
Thank you kindly Lincrono! Your comment is much appreciated!
2016-12-14, 11:05 PM (This post was last modified: 2016-12-15 01:19 AM by Shiroi_Okami.)
Honestly, what ship isn't weak against the Lamb Thyr haha.

Nice looking ship though, and I'm keen to try it out against my upgraded Dissonance, which while smaller is in a similar cost bracket (330k mats)

Edit: this ship is an absolute thing of beauty. I don't think I've ever seen a vessel this size that has a 100% walkable interior, and I love everything about the design, it's fantastic.

Combat wise it's quite powerful, but it did lose 2/2 times against the cheaper Dissonance MK II, which to be fair places much less value on aesthetics and is a ship that has crammed as much firepower as physically possible into a 140m long hull. I identified a few weaknesses that can probably help the overlord become a lot stronger from the fights though:

- Your two AI mainframes are in the same place. In the first fight this lead to both of them getting knocked out at once and the Overlord was AI dead at 73%, while the Dissonance was at 87%. Second fight was also an AI dead, but the Overlord survive longer, with the AI's getting knocked out at 65%

- None of your LWCs, or at least the ones for your main guns, have any EMP protection. You have excellently armoured turret wells, but the LWCs are quite vulnerable to HEAT and to EMP. I'd put some heavy armour around them + surge protectors

- Almost all of your detectors are on the central superstructure, which in the second fight was stripped of most it's detectors quite early by missiles and the Dissonance' heavy gatling. I think spreading them out a bit would help.

Overall though, stunning ship, and quite effective in battle. An awesome build!
2016-12-15, 09:28 AM
Thank you Shiroi for your comments! I'm glad you like her, and your feedback is helpful! I'll be adressing the LWC problems, and I'll most likely armour up the Mainframe more, which doesn't even have a metal roof over it's head (LWA only...), so the upgrade to metal of even HA will probably increase her endurance on that part. I'll think of a way to introduce some extra detectors without spoiling the design. Smile

If truth be told, this is in essence a ship to be controlled by the player, and to be enjoying the experience of running around in a fighting ship (which I find myself frequently doing). I wanted to mimic the way a real battle would play out with the damage it would do, bearing in mind the battle between the Royal Navy and the Bismarck in WWII. So she's designed to be an experience, not just a good battleship.

For research purposes, is you Dissonance MK II uploaded as a blueprint? I might be extending the sea trials to make the Overlord whereever possible more combat worthy Smile
2016-12-15, 10:39 AM
(2016-12-15 09:28 AM)Eagle Wrote:  Thank you Shiroi for your comments! I'm glad you like her, and your feedback is helpful! I'll be adressing the LWC problems, and I'll most likely armour up the Mainframe more, which doesn't even have a metal roof over it's head (LWA only...), so the upgrade to metal of even HA will probably increase her endurance on that part. I'll think of a way to introduce some extra detectors without spoiling the design. Smile

If truth be told, this is in essence a ship to be controlled by the player, and to be enjoying the experience of running around in a fighting ship (which I find myself frequently doing). I wanted to mimic the way a real battle would play out with the damage it would do, bearing in mind the battle between the Royal Navy and the Bismarck in WWII. So she's designed to be an experience, not just a good battleship.

For research purposes, is you Dissonance MK II uploaded as a blueprint? I might be extending the sea trials to make the Overlord whereever possible more combat worthy Smile

I haven't uploaded it to my thread yet as the MK II is not yet complete (It's fully functional, but I've only rebuilt the front guns, I have yet to rebuild the rear guns, which currently present a weak point), but I'll post it here if you want to run some tests yourself.

Re the detectors you probably don't need more as you have tons already, I would instead just take some off the central zone and spread them out across the ship a bit.

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Dissonance_Destroyer_MKII.blueprint (Size: 800.9 KB / Downloads: 18)
2016-12-15, 12:30 PM
Well, back to work then.
[Image: xX2Rxub.jpg]
Noticed a flaw in the main turrets as well, two of the ammo loaders weren't fed, so they have been given ammo clips now, at the cost of a small reduction in HA armour.

And there is no such thing as a lack of detectors Shiroi, so I added radar domes to the two secondary AA turrets, and I'll be adding some additional trackers to the second main gun. The guns have been removed to allow further armouring of the turret base, and place surge protectors.

Armoured up the Mainframe room more, it now has a metal roof. If that still isn't sufficient I'll resort to HA'ing it, but under normal circumstances this would just be overkill.

Furthermore deleted some redundent ACBs for roll control in the electric generator room, and will be surge protecting the spaghetti out this ship.
2016-12-15, 01:59 PM (This post was last modified: 2016-12-15 02:10 PM by Eagle.)
A new version of the Overlord has been uploaded, replacing the old version. The CPU-F version so far has not been changed.

The following changes have been made:
- Removed redundant ACBs
- Armoured up the turret base of the main guns with 1 to 2 m HA
- Placed Surge protectors around every LWC
- Reconfigured LWC's of the torpedolaunchers, their max range was too low, that has now been corrected
- Placed radar domes on the secondary turrets
- Placed trackers on the second main gun
- All main guns have been updated, two of the ammo loaders of the middle barrel were non-functional, and have been made functional.
- Ammo switch on the first and third main gun; the middle barrels shoot HEAT now. So there are now four barrels shooting APHE (the outer barrels on the first and third gun) and five barrels shooting HEAT. this negates shields much better than before.

I've did a re-run against the Thyr, starting off at range (4 km distance) and on manual control (meaning, always on broadside).
The Thyr managed to lob far more shells into the rear of the Overlord then I was able to return, quickly downing the health to 97%. The third main gun was eventually lost after approx 2 minutes of constant shell battering (the rear was the only part of the ship being hit). Rear secondary and tertiary guns were lost as well and some of the missile launchers were defunct. Nevertheless, at 90% health she managed to regain control and eventually upend the situation, whereby the Thyr lost. Only damage sustained: 10% health loss and a few turrets lost. I was absolutely amazed at how long the rear turret and hull held at the constant battering of Thyrs shells...
[Image: 3sYvIMc.jpg]

Shiroi (and others), would you mind having another go at her?
2016-12-15, 08:23 PM (This post was last modified: 2016-12-15 08:33 PM by Gladyon.)
I love that battlecruiser!!

It's very tough, but I think that its main problem is the main turrets.
You are using 6m autoloaders but your shells are barely longer than 4m. That's a waste of perfectly good explosive.
And from my experience, shaped charge shells with 50-60 in penetration factor are more efficient than small gauge (less than 6m x 500mm) penetration shells.
If you set your shells to 490mm then it may be more interesting, but I doubt it, shaped charge shells are really efficient.
And to finish with the turrets, you have armored the turrets heads with HA (even behind, which I think isn't necessary), but you forgot the top. So they are destroyed very easily. They don't explode or pop, but the firing pieces are either destroyed or disconnected from the inner part of the turret.
You can remove a row of gauge cooling units in order to place HA instead, and you should have enough room in the turret itself for placing the removed cooling units.

The missiles are very slow and are coming one after another so that any LAMS can shot them down easily.

The active defenses are very light, but it's probably intended.

Other than that, it's very durable and very beautiful, I really like the torpedo launchers.
And the radiators here and there are a very nice addition.
The interior is outstanding, so much things to discover, you really did a great job!

[edit] I forgot one thing, the rear main turret LWC is only protected by one metal beam, it is very exposed to torpedoes.
2016-12-15, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 2016-12-15 09:48 PM by Eagle.)
Thanks Gladyon! Glad you like her!
The shell size being barely over 4 meters is true, but only for the APHE shells. The HEAT and HS APFRAG shells are both close to 6m in length. The reason why the APHE is so short is because I had to do a trade-off between barrel length and shell speed. I found the current barrel length to be acceptable (longer barrels just looked stupid), and adjusted the amount of gunpowder accordingly. The same goes for gauge size, a larger gauge meant I'd be having to use even larger barrels, and I just didn't found that to be looking right.
Also, I didn't want to go for an all HEAT layout because I want some raw firepower that either is able to enter the interior of a ship, or explodes on the face, destroying essential parts.
With that said, do you see some improvements I can make in the shell department? Perhaps switching out the AP head with a composite for moar speed, given the fact that the AP value is already on the low side?

As for the turrets, I'll look into that. I didn't use more HA for the turrets because I don't really like the look of it, but if I can make it look a bit stylish I'll try to follow your advise on that Smile The turret bases are pretty crammed as they are already, so I'll have my work cut out trying to replace those coolers.

Missiles are indeed slow, but it is a trade-off between the payload/fuel/range. I have shorter ranged but faster missiles in stock, I'll go check if that makes a good difference Smile

LAMS are indeed underpowered, but yeah, that's what you get for setting yourself a limited on engine power... Tongue I might go try to squeeze a bit more out of it though... Even if the armour and repair capabilities are already enough to negate almost all incoming fire.

Thanks very much for your feedback, very helpful and will be used to improve the ship!