Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Eagle Industries presents: Bluefin attack submarine
2017-01-11, 10:38 PM
RE: Eagle Industries presents: Bluefin attack submarine
Yeah Sonobuoys are hilariously inconsistent... It's why I went straight to torpedo interceptors rather than trying to get them to work since sonobuoys also require additional detection cards to be utilised. Actively countering incoming torpedoes ~1km away from your vessel gives far more consistent reductions in the number that get through.

Also, I'm in full agreement with regards to the use of cold submarines in the game. when they are done right they are almost completely undetectable for so long as they remain over 1km away from your ship (I recall Skullsploder having one that could make it in to half that without detection picking it up), and can just chip away at any vessels in the game with impunity if they run deep enough. It's still the cheesiest way of beating the campaign (since satellites still have problems with lasers).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-01-11, 10:51 PM
To be honest, I think it's better that not all bouys work, nor that all torps are detected. That would just mean that you can yet again build a system that's impervious to a weapon, promoting spam and reducing diversity... But that's just the way I see it.
2017-01-12, 12:36 AM
(2017-01-11 10:51 PM)Eagle Wrote:  To be honest, I think it's better that not all bouys work, nor that all torps are detected. That would just mean that you can yet again build a system that's impervious to a weapon, promoting spam and reducing diversity... But that's just the way I see it.

Yeah, I think they are worth using. I don't aim for 100% either, besides the reasons you listed, you just don't fit a billion dollar defense system to a million dollar piece of equipment. So there has to come a point where good enough is good enough.

My sub had 1 each buoy anyway (for detection, which they don't seem very good at) but I've found that it actually does work as a decoy from time to time, I still jammed a very small LAMS in (7 pumps), and my sub is much smaller than yours. Granted I had to go from SSN to SS to do it, but being blown up by Red Tuna was just too much humiliation to stand for and since momma fitted in that LAMS that don't happen no more. Granted a lucky CRAM shot from an airship can still ruin your day even under the sea.

Anyway, nice sub. Looks great, like all your stuff. Even though I lean a little more to the gamey side (but not THAT far) I do find your stuff a great source of inspiration for how to add in those little realistic looking ship details.
2017-01-12, 11:35 AM
I'd mind it being so erratic if it wasn't possible to shoot an entire patrol's allocation of torpedos off every few seconds and the torps didn't do 100kts. No defense in this game is infalliable though, you can overwhelm LAMS without that much difficulty.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy & light tanks 17/11/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2017-01-12, 11:47 AM
Judging by the quantity of these Eagle Industries craft, you might want to consolidate them into one thread Smile

Click me for my BP Thread!
[Image: 2i23asy.png]
[Image: hYqcknT.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-01-12, 01:04 PM
(2017-01-12 12:36 AM)Krougal Wrote:  Anyway, nice sub. Looks great, like all your stuff. Even though I lean a little more to the gamey side (but not THAT far) I do find your stuff a great source of inspiration for how to add in those little realistic looking ship details.

Thanks Smile I'm glad that you find it a source of inspiration for your own creativity!

(2017-01-12 11:35 AM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  I'd mind it being so erratic if it wasn't possible to shoot an entire patrol's allocation of torpedos off every few seconds and the torps didn't do 100kts. No defense in this game is infalliable though, you can overwhelm LAMS without that much difficulty.
Overwhelm it without that much difficulty? There are plenty of craft with such good LAM systems that you just need to spam an aweful lot of shells/missiles/torps to overcome it. Notably the SD craft of course, but I do not need mention the Thyr...
The speed of the torps is fine, I actually like torps the way they are now; highly dangerous. They are a niche weapon, and as such should have a high yield, just like real life.

(2017-01-12 11:47 AM)magma8520 Wrote:  Judging by the quantity of these Eagle Industries craft, you might want to consolidate them into one thread Smile
Nah, I won't be doing that. I dislike threads which contain all the bps but at different pages. I find it cumbersome and hard to read. If I want to look for what other people build, I want to see in an instant what they have in stock and what it does. I don't want to look through a thread containing many many pages to find what I'm looking for. That only creates information overload.

So that's why I'm sticking to one, or at most two craft per thread, and mentioning them in the catalogue (which gets updated every once and a while) at the bottom of the OP. That way everybody can find what they're looking for. To prevent the first few pages clogging up with my own threads I only upload craft every once and a while. But yeah, when multiple threads are being commented on you get a nice Eagly first page Tongue
2017-01-12, 01:36 PM
(2017-01-12 01:04 PM)Eagle Wrote:  Overwhelm it without that much difficulty? There are plenty of craft with such good LAM systems that you just need to spam an aweful lot of shells/missiles/torps to overcome it. Notably the SD craft of course, but I do not need mention the Thyr...

The speed of the torps is fine, I actually like torps the way they are now; highly dangerous. They are a niche weapon, and as such should have a high yield, just like real life.

But the Thyr & co's LAMS installations cost as much as a ship, you'd really hope they're effective - and you can still overwhelm them which is why we fire anti-ship missiles in blocks ( especially nice if you're also laying down torp fire ). What I don't like is the only really effective counter to torps being LAMS - torps get an explosion bonus already, and you can make them enormous in a way you can't really do with missiles. The poster child for the imbalance would be pyro's little stealth boat & how many campaign godlys it can remove. Anyway I'm not going on another rant about torps, that'll be the 10th or so...

I really love the hull shape of this - have you looked at doing a much bigger one? I thought it was bigger than it is.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy & light tanks 17/11/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2017-01-12, 02:16 PM
(2017-01-12 01:36 PM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  
(2017-01-12 01:04 PM)Eagle Wrote:  -snip-

But the Thyr & co's LAMS installations cost as much as a ship, you'd really hope they're effective - and you can still overwhelm them which is why we fire anti-ship missiles in blocks ( especially nice if you're also laying down torp fire ).
Good point...

(2017-01-12 01:36 PM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  What I don't like is the only really effective counter to torps being LAMS - torps get an explosion bonus already, and you can make them enormous in a way you can't really do with missiles. The poster child for the imbalance would be pyro's little stealth boat & how many campaign godlys it can remove. Anyway I'm not going on another rant about torps, that'll be the 10th or so...
with both bouys and anti-torps you get a decent coverage, but the best defence other than LAMS is of course: a decent passive defence. The Overlord pretty much can withstand dozens of torpedohits, without even having a breach; the size of the hull helps, and a total of 4 meters of metal armour does it's fair share too.
I found torpedoes to be a nuisance, but nothing more. I wouldn't want to change them for the world, the way they are now. They are atm my favourite niche weapon. Clean, fast, very nice to see and a good challenge to counter.

(2017-01-12 01:36 PM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  I really love the hull shape of this - have you looked at doing a much bigger one? I thought it was bigger than it is.
Thanks Smile I was pretty pleased with it myself.
I am looking into a larger sub. But most of my developments are either to cover gaps in my fleets (offensive wise), or as a product of enemies encountered. The last few weeks I've been busy dealing with GT and SD, so subs weren't necessary, and I am now in the process of attacking SS, which lead to the update of this sub.

The new sub I've planned will not be much bigger than this, but I do require it to carry more AA missiles and more and heavier torps. I'll probably start building it soon Smile