Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Selectable fuel source for steam engines
2016-11-14, 08:12 AM
Selectable fuel source for steam engines
Wouldn't it be interesting to have the option to fire them with actual refined fuel instead of just 'stuff'?
Maybe efficiency could go up by 10% or so.

This option could be some checkerbox inside a boilers controller UI.

Pursue happyness with diligence
-Mastodon
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-11-14, 11:06 PM
RE: Selectable fuel source for steam engines
Good idea. I think that the efficiency should go up more, but definitely a start. You can see this all the time in real life, and it certainly makes sense in game while also being simple to implement.
2016-11-15, 08:06 AM
I had suggested something Earlier, and perhaps I will make a Steam suggestion thread about it,

I digress, I suggested a Boiler Firing Box which would affect the pressure of the boiler, with options to burn Coal (materials) or Heavy Fuel Oil (Fuel). Burning Coal, would produce lower power, but be consume overall less recorces, while Oil would produce greater power, but also consume copious sums of fuel.

Frankly I think steam engines are far too simple, consume too much fuel, and produce too much power, but that's me.

Lost are only those who give up on them selves.
2016-11-15, 11:45 PM
I also think that there should be selectable fuel, but I would make the "heavy fuel" a much better option over material. It contains more energy and it is easier to get said energy out of it, and it works with the game balance because of how much harder it is to get fuel.
2016-11-16, 12:22 AM
Adding to this, what about using radiant heat from RTGs to increase efficiency, potentially even not needing fuel with a high enough ratio of adjacent RTGs to boilers. That could also be a use for crystal trays. Doesn't produce electricity on its own but gives a bigger buff per block than RTGs?

Just an idea I had.
2016-11-16, 12:26 AM
In theory we should get nuclear boilers sometime that cost next to nothing to run but are very very dangerous and expensive to buy like RTG's.
2016-11-16, 12:31 PM
(2016-11-15 08:06 AM)Cairo1 Wrote:  ...Boiler Firing Box...

Hmm, that brought me to an interesting thought:
By adding different types of 'fuel inlet blocks' (like the cosmetical firing boxes for the boiler cans) to the boiler controller, one could dictate which kind of fuel this particular boiler uses. (Material, Fuel, Electricity,...)
Continueing this thought and combining this with someone else's idea about ACBable steam vents, one could utilize different boilers on the same steam engine to switch between different fuels beeing burned, depending on the situation. (Aux/backup power generation for example)

(2016-11-16 12:26 AM)yay101 Wrote:  ...nuclear boilers...

Hopefully yes, it would ease the introduction of 'nucular' power generation in general, I guess.
Nuclear reactors are basically nothing more than fancy steam engines, so it would be a quite logical step. *raising one eyebrow

Somewhat offtopic, but a follow up thought:
I'm not entirely sure, but I think, the latest changes in the inner guts of the game code would theoretically allow different subsystem species to interconnect and communicate with each other.
Like using the fuel engine exhausts as well for steam boiler exhausts, which currently miss.
Or (as well someone else's Idea) attaching sails or heliblades or even rams to the crank shaft of a steam system.
Or going nuts by using steam pressure to drive some new and very steampunky kind of weapon, huge ballista, or for inflating balloons more quickly than usual Smile
Using steam for boosting torpedo and missile ejection, bubbling up the water for sonic-screens, aircraft catapults, yadda yadda etc. pp...

Pursue happyness with diligence
-Mastodon
2016-11-19, 05:27 PM
I've always thought that the steam engines should have selectable fuel sources, and I recently discovered that this is actually very common in real life, and works very well. The average diesel engine gets about 45% of the energy out of it's fuel, while a steam piston engine can get 55% without much in the way of problems. Not sure how this transitions to the game, but there should definitely be selectable fuel sources for boilers.
2017-07-12, 01:50 PM
I wanted to suggest this as well; at least enable the player to use a fleet of Steam propelled ships this way. Fuel can be refined with decent to great efficiency, which can negate the worst inefficiencies of the steam engine (partially).

Procrastination level is over 9000