Thread Rating:
  • 52 Votes - 4.52 Average
(post your) Teaser
2014-11-01, 10:47 PM
RE: (post your) Teaser
(2014-11-01 09:32 PM)FungiAmongi Wrote:  THATS HUGE! the size of the cannos you could fit into that thing
Doesn't look like it carries cannons. More like a carrier... Smile

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Engineering, Civilization 4; Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2014-11-01, 11:48 PM
[Image: RJpzQKtl.jpg]

Maybe... just maybe...
2014-11-02, 02:17 AM (This post was last modified: 2014-11-02 02:25 AM by samlow.)
The day I built my shoehorn
[Image: i7P2KVg.jpg]
[Image: 4NWrM0G.jpg]

Now, if only someone had told me beforehand that paint doesnt go through corner blocks...

The big question: Should I line the inside with a layer of alloy, for laser protection?

Balance wise this vessel will sit at max range, so getting up close with it should be dangerous to it.. Otherwise, lasers hurt..
2014-11-02, 02:27 AM (This post was last modified: 2014-11-02 02:41 AM by Clusterduck.)
you should line the inside like its a spall liner for HESH rounds. But only for lasers.

EDIT: you forgot to delete your tinystarterraft
2014-11-02, 03:32 AM
I opted so far not to line the inside, in order to reduce block count. Already on 7kish on the hull alone, and want to stay below the 20k mark if possible.

Currently building the bottom deck, with smaller side compartimens for bouyancy + double hull effect.
2014-11-02, 03:47 AM
That'll be fun trying to corner and slope Tongue

[Image: 831b674a58.jpg]
2014-11-02, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 2014-11-02 10:20 AM by samlow.)
Hmz.. still in doubt about my inner layer.. would add about 5-6k blocks, on my current 12k count (post engine, bottom layer). This is the point where not doing it but changing my mind is going to cost a lot of time.

such a huge single layer hull does feel quite vulnerable though.

Edit: Combat tests reveiled that it actually doesnt do too bad a job survivng. After 2 minutes close range vs a valiant, there are no holes yet, when facing almost straight on. It should be more vulnerable from its side, due to less sloping, but it feels safe enough for a long range support vessel.
2014-11-02, 11:54 AM (This post was last modified: 2014-11-02 11:54 AM by Esthil.)
I wouldn't add a 2nd layer to the complete hull; exp. not with expensive alloy... think it's better to build an internal framework and only use extra-armor for the vital compartments.
Much more cost-efficient that way.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Engineering, Civilization 4; Antoine de Saint Exupéry
2014-11-02, 07:12 PM
Someone tease me with some builds in progress! Bored at work.
2014-11-02, 07:55 PM
(2014-11-02 10:13 AM)samlow Wrote:  Hmz.. still in doubt about my inner layer.. would add about 5-6k blocks, on my current 12k count (post engine, bottom layer). This is the point where not doing it but changing my mind is going to cost a lot of time.

such a huge single layer hull does feel quite vulnerable though.

Edit: Combat tests reveiled that it actually doesnt do too bad a job survivng. After 2 minutes close range vs a valiant, there are no holes yet, when facing almost straight on. It should be more vulnerable from its side, due to less sloping, but it feels safe enough for a long range support vessel.
Wouldn't a barrage of GOOD missiles and snub barrel high caliber artillery smash through a metal hull like that?