Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
[2.02] EMP charges stop despite having conductive beams available
2016-09-12, 07:37 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-13 08:17 PM by draba.)
[2.02] EMP charges stop despite having conductive beams available
Right now massive EMP cannons are prone to doing 0-1000 damage to full metal campaign designs on unlucky hits.

To reproduce:
  • Spawn in the chair of the attached platform
  • Shoot at the red heavy armor beams
  • Only the 2 red beams will be destroyed, 12K damage total despite the cannon doing ~50K at that range.

Caused by:
When assembling the list of EmpNodes to damage the algorithm doesn't check whether or not the beam it hits was already destroyed earlier in its path.
For example, a 20K damage EMP blast hitting the end of a HA beam protruding from a metal surface will think it could potentially use up 24K damage in the beam and won't check further than the 4th block, losing 14K damage.

[Image: oWUPbRol.jpg]

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  0_EMP_path_test.blueprint (Size: 201.29 KB / Downloads: 27)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-09-12, 07:54 PM
RE: [1.95886 devtest] EMP charges stop despite having conductive beams available
I think what's happening is that after destroying the two beams the EMP has disconnected itself from the rest of the construct. Checking all neighbors of the block rather than just the neighbors of the grid cell might work.
2016-09-12, 09:01 PM
RE: [1.95886 devtest] EMP charges stop despite having conductive beams available
Guessed it forces itself into a deadend(only visited blocks and air around), but after adding blocks here and there for a few minutes couldn't recognize a clear pattern.
Even if you shoot the mass 3m below the red ones it can snuff itself on the first layer, it should always be able to reach the ones directly behind.
For me it looks like something's up with beams, a bit late to start digging the code now but I'll revisit this one.
2016-09-14, 12:23 PM
You seem to have forgotten to attach the platform- could you attach it please,

thanks!

Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2016-09-14, 03:43 PM
On second thought, I had thought the EMP algorithm determines the entire path before damage is dealt. So maybe I read the code wrong or there's something else afoot.
2016-09-14, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 2016-09-14 06:43 PM by draba.)
(2016-09-14 12:23 PM)Nick Smart Wrote:  You seem to have forgotten to attach the platform- could you attach it please,

thanks!

Yep, forgot the important part Smile
Attached it to the first post.

(2016-09-14 03:43 PM)Evil4Zerggin Wrote:  On second thought, I had thought the EMP algorithm determines the entire path before damage is dealt. So maybe I read the code wrong or there's something else afoot.

This particular problem is caused by something else,
whether or not the path is predetermined it should be able to find a way to spread in a shot like this:
[Image: xO1Sqi6l.jpg]
It only takes out the front of the bottom row and wastes ~26K damage.
2016-09-15, 01:52 PM
I was messing with my sub, attached a PAC I use in adventure mode, however the PAC was used above water. On the sub (-100ish) in designer mode after a while, the EMP stops traversing and dealing 200~ damage on the base of a kingstead and other metal constructs, there is bags of energy left for it to use and power never goes under the amount indicated that is used in the PAC's 'Q' menu. So yuh something seems to have changed :/ within the last two updates.
2016-09-15, 02:40 PM
(2016-09-15 01:52 PM)lordmuck Wrote:  I was messing with my sub, attached a PAC I use in adventure mode, however the PAC was used above water. On the sub (-100ish) in designer mode after a while, the EMP stops traversing and dealing 200~ damage on the base of a kingstead and other metal constructs, there is bags of energy left for it to use and power never goes under the amount indicated that is used in the PAC's 'Q' menu. So yuh something seems to have changed :/ within the last two updates.

I think it's going back a bit further, even around the time PACs were introduced I've seen >100K EMP charges do pretty much no damage on bad hits.
Chalked it up to hitting in places where the pathfinding runs out, guessing something like this was at least partially responsible.
2016-09-16, 09:57 AM
If EMP charge hits structure on spinblock or turret, it causes damage only on that structure and can't go through turret/spinblock and apply residual damage on a hull.
That's why sometimes EMP PAC hits so weak.
2016-09-16, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: 2016-09-16 12:40 PM by draba.)
(2016-09-16 09:57 AM)Tevervin Wrote:  If EMP charge hits structure on spinblock or turret, it causes damage only on that structure and can't go through turret/spinblock and apply residual damage on a hull.
That's why sometimes EMP PAC hits so weak.

Yes, we do know that.
This issue(and probably Bullsharks/Perforators tanking EMP better than expected) is independent of that mechanic.