Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
A fun project....
2016-09-03, 11:47 AM
A fun project....
I've been thinking about some ideas... these aren't really for FtD as they would be very disruptive (for the sake of arguement call it an FtD 2.0) but I was thinking about whether everything could be piped:

1) fuel could be piped into fuel engines.
2) (exhaust is already piped away).
3) electricity could be taken down cables from the generator (engine block) and into batteries (or shields, particle cannons, etc).
4) engine block and electric engine could connect into a drive shaft mechanism that powers all power requiring parts

One of the reason I am interested in this is that steam for the steam engine needs to be piped and no one really "owns the pipe" they just put steam in or take it out.

Anyway my task for you, should you wish to get involved, is to think about what FtD vehicles would look like if everything that used mechanical power was attached to a drive shaft and everything that used electric power was attached to a cable. (same for fuel as well). Refinery shall connect to fuel tanks and material containers.

I'd love to see some screen shots uploaded to this thread using
1) black painted exhaust pipe as drive shafts
2) red painted exhaust pipe as fuel pipes
3) cyan painted exhaust pipe as electricity cables
4) green painted for material transfer

and your thoughts on whether a game that was similar to FtD could function with pipes as 1x1x1 blocks (as per the fuel engine exhaust system) or whether it would need to be a sort of "redstone circuit" system. Personally I'd love it if it could be 1x1x1.

Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-09-03, 12:17 PM
RE: A fun project....
Ammo pipes?
Find all posts by this user
2016-09-03, 12:26 PM
It would make every build require more advanced means of making everything work. I could be in for it to go into stable but it would take half a year to update all units to function like that. I will post some screenshots of my most advanced builds with all the piping into them, so you will see the hassle that would be making everything work with this new system

I do not apply murder to the vehicle, the murder has the vehicle built around it! -ARCAGNELL0

"If there is no struggle, there is no progress" -Frederick Douglass

Dango over flowers -Japanese idiom
2016-09-03, 12:39 PM
Perhaps you could release it as a mod or a seperate branch?

[Image: BseTIqf.png?1]
2016-09-03, 12:43 PM
Yeah it's not really something I want to do for FtD but for a game with a learning curve (rather than cliff wall) it could be very good. Just interested in seeing what designs would end up looking like if these constraints were applied, at the moment.

Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
2016-09-03, 12:44 PM
(2016-09-03 12:17 PM)dachshund Wrote:  Ammo pipes?

For this game I'm thinking about ammo would be carried by crew members rather than piped, I think.

Ammo manufacturing would need material pipes to build the ammo however.

2016-09-03, 12:51 PM
(2016-09-03 11:47 AM)Nick Smart Wrote:  I've been thinking about some ideas... these aren't really for FtD as they would be very disruptive (for the sake of arguement call it an FtD 2.0) but I was thinking about whether everything could be piped:

[...]
3) electricity could be taken down cables from the generator (engine block) and into batteries (or shields, particle cannons, etc).
Very bad idea I would say, if you need to pump fuel, too. Even Space Engineers doesn't have that (only ammo and "fuel").
4) engine block and electric engine could connect into a drive shaft mechanism that powers all power requiring parts
Actually a good idea, as long as propellers get a huge buff in power.
I don't want to spam my ship with propellers...

[...]

Anyway my task for you, should you wish to get involved, is to think about what FtD vehicles would look like if everything that used mechanical power was attached to a drive shaft and everything that used electric power was attached to a cable. (same for fuel as well). Refinery shall connect to fuel tanks and material containers.

So like Space Engineers?
This needs smaller (0.5m) blocks, or you are not able to build small ships and planes.

[...]

Le Sir's gaming YouTube channel
2016-09-03, 01:01 PM
would this mean that engine power output becomes more fluid?

For example if you where able to speed up or increase the amount of fuel batches that come into the engine and then have the option to repurpose the gasses/ excess fuel in other circuitry, in order to either make your engine more efficient or just more powerful.

if this would require engines to become larger then the tradeoff would actually be worth it if you where awarded with stats that exceed the current (whilst of course requiring you to keep track of more factors than before).

Not suggesting we should be able to make engines as ridiculous as the old ones but rather engines that when made massively complex(and generally massive) can be as functional as multiple smaller engines are or even a tiny bit better( smaller engines would probably still have more gentle diminishing returns so making a couple smaller efficient engines may still be a better option).

More fuel into a cylinder obviously means more heat and workload so cooling efficiency would become more of a task (it already is for larger engines).

Never sail out to far on the daft raft.
2016-09-03, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 2016-09-03 01:04 PM by ARCAGNELL0.)
(2016-09-03 12:51 PM)Le Sir Wrote:  
(2016-09-03 11:47 AM)Nick Smart Wrote:  I've been thinking about some ideas... these aren't really for FtD as they would be very disruptive (for the sake of arguement call it an FtD 2.0) but I was thinking about whether everything could be piped:

[...]
Very bad idea I would say, if you need to pump fuel, too. Even Space Engineers doesn't have that (only ammo and "fuel").
Actually a good idea, as long as propellers get a huge buff in power.
I don't want to spam my ship with propellers...

[...]

So like Space Engineers?
This needs smaller (0.5m) blocks, or you are not able to build small ships and planes.

[...]

I actually think the cabling for ammo, fuel, electricity powered installments and drive shaft driven components can all be added into stable BUT it does not have to be present to make stuff work. It will provide a big bonus, may that be more output for the same amount of battery/engine power/ ammo or less temperature emissions, invaluable for flying unit.

Half blocks are not needed in the slightest. You only need a different arrangement of components to need the least amount of piping possible.

Micro builds would still be able to work just fine, they either will get bigger with piping increasing their efficiency or will stay small with reduced performance.

I do not apply murder to the vehicle, the murder has the vehicle built around it! -ARCAGNELL0

"If there is no struggle, there is no progress" -Frederick Douglass

Dango over flowers -Japanese idiom
2016-09-03, 01:07 PM
Or pipes would behave like they are on spinblocks, allowing them to phase through other blocks (on purpose). This would mean we would still benefit from laying out our vehicles sensibly, (I.e. Engines near the battery bank/propeller) but it would be less of a hassle.

There is one way to destroy shadow: light. But light creates more shadow then it destroys. Join what you cannot destroy

You think light is the fastest in the universe? But, wherever light goes shadow got there first