This poll is closed.
Keep at 10% 18.75% 15 18.75%
Change to 0% 81.25% 65 81.25%
Total 80 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Neter default detection setting, change?
2016-08-19, 09:24 AM
Neter default detection setting, change?
Hey, wanted some feedback on this.

Right now I have Neters default detection set at 10%

This means that no mater what the sensors are like, all designs will know each other are there if they are semi-close. Cant hit each other well, but know they are there.

I believe this 10% is actually making truly stealthy units impossible and not allowing the Detection system to reach its full potential.
Im considering changing the default to 0% chance.

So, id like your thoughts before I run this change past Nick.

Disadvantages of this change would be:
1. Torpedoes probably wont function any more without sonar
2. designs with minimal sensors might suck a little more than before.
3. ????

"Ask for the world and you'll get nothing, ask for something achievable and you might actually get it." -Majyst

"Im a leaf on the Wind, Watch how I soar" - 'Wash' Washburne

"If you claim that a change is destroying the game your exaggeration just make me ignore you" -Majyst

"Shiny" -Captain Malcolm Reynolds
Find all posts by this user
2016-08-19, 09:57 AM
RE: Neter default detection setting, change?
What will enemy Ships do if they can´t detect you? Just sail ahead in a straight line?

Shooting away at completely unresponsive targets sounds a bit dull. I would like to see them shoot in my general direction, or maybe just let them shoot in the general direction where they have been hit by something.

I mean they may be unable to detect you, but even then they can guess from which direction the Missile/ACC/or Cramshell that just obliterated the bridge came from?

Hope this makes sense.

We are things that labor under illusion of having a self, an accretion of sensory, experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody is nobody.
2016-08-19, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 2016-08-19 10:01 AM by HorseMonster.)
Yes please. Ships being able to detect things with sufficient accuracy to launch missiles or torpedoes at them without having any detection equipment kind of undermines the point of the detection system.
2016-08-19, 10:04 AM
Yes, let the stealth become real.

But for this reason... @Nick could we get Detection Gear HP bar slider ? Since 0% default detection makes Flak strippin the detection abit too powerful

[Image: vP4vDHc.png]

Check out my Zrytix, Land RTS
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2016-08-19, 10:26 AM
(2016-08-19 09:57 AM)HappyGhecko Wrote:  What will enemy Ships do if they can´t detect you? Just sail ahead in a straight line?

Shooting away at completely unresponsive targets sounds a bit dull. I would like to see them shoot in my general direction, or maybe just let them shoot in the general direction where they have been hit by something.

I mean they may be unable to detect you, but even then they can guess from which direction the Missile/ACC/or Cramshell that just obliterated the bridge came from?

Hope this makes sense.

Every design in game (or soon will) has some sort of detection or relies on spotter ships for detection. There is no way for a ship to spawn in and sail off blindly. Of course if you blow off their sensors they may blindly sail away since the AI doesnt know how to look out a window.
At the minimum, most but not all faction ships have a wireless snooper on their AI core so even if their good sensors are blown off they still have the snooper.

If your ship has no sensors, then yes your ship will sail away while getting hammered. Of course, at 10% yours would know of the target but likely never hit it.

"Ask for the world and you'll get nothing, ask for something achievable and you might actually get it." -Majyst

"Im a leaf on the Wind, Watch how I soar" - 'Wash' Washburne

"If you claim that a change is destroying the game your exaggeration just make me ignore you" -Majyst

"Shiny" -Captain Malcolm Reynolds
2016-08-19, 10:38 AM
(2016-08-19 10:04 AM)mrvecz Wrote:  Yes, let the stealth become real.

Yes!

Over 2700 hours in building games and i still can't build fancy.
But Effective!
2016-08-19, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 2016-08-19 10:40 AM by Gladyon.)
I'm fully in favor of 0%.

About the blind vehicles, just put a snooper next to each AI and that's done.
If all the detection equipement are destroyed, chances are that the AI are gone as well, so the vehicle is dead anyway.
That solve the problem.

And I have an idea to deal with too stealthy vehicles (I like them, but when they begin to fire they shouldn't be so stealthy anymore).
When you're hit (or fired upon), you gain automatic detection on the weapon that fired on you. That detection isn't very precise, and depends on the weapon.
- missile: average bearing, very bad distance
- shell: good bearing, bad distance
- PAC: average bearing, average distance
- laser: very good bearing, very bad distance
- collision (yes, it is a weapon!): excellent bearing, excellent distance

That way, if your vehicle has some missiles, it will fire in the general direction of the target that just fired on you and with some luck they'll acquire it while closing on it.
2016-08-19, 11:21 AM
(2016-08-19 10:26 AM)majyst Wrote:  
(2016-08-19 09:57 AM)HappyGhecko Wrote:  What will enemy Ships do if they can´t detect you? Just sail ahead in a straight line?

Hope this makes sense.

Every design in game (or soon will) has some sort of detection or relies on spotter ships for detection. There is no way for a ship to spawn in and sail off blindly. Of course if you blow off their sensors they may blindly sail away since the AI doesnt know how to look out a window.
At the minimum, most but not all faction ships have a wireless snooper on their AI core so even if their good sensors are blown off they still have the snooper.

If your ship has no sensors, then yes your ship will sail away while getting hammered. Of course, at 10% yours would know of the target but likely never hit it.

then i´ll vote for 0%, somehow forgot about the snooper.

We are things that labor under illusion of having a self, an accretion of sensory, experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody is nobody.
2016-08-19, 11:51 AM
I use 0% because it's way more fun.
2016-08-19, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 2016-08-19 05:09 PM by Lincrono.)
I know the hard-core stealth fans are gonna hate this but i'd leave it at 10%.

There have actually already been a few threads on the steam forum of people turning detection to 0% building stealth ships (mostly subs) and then running into issues with campaign enemies leaving the battlefield faster than they can pursue. this is especially noticeable with vessels that cannot actually stop or reverse like the atlas but easily out-pace many surface ships. similarly with 0% detection we set ourselves up for a rare, but potentially crippling 'error' where even unstealty designs deal critical damage to a campaign vehicle's sensors (not unlikely since many don't have much redundancy and we just added accurate, individual block targeting) but are unable to kill the vessel in question before it speeds away, leaving the player stuck in an unwinnable battle and potentially costing hours of progress either in the form of lost battle time or lost campaign time when they have to restart

Additionally some kind of low baseline awareness makes the system a bit more forgiving for newer players, allowing them to design working combat ships even if they make a few mistakes or take otherwise crippling damage in a battle. This system also provides some forgiveness in multi-player when two super stealthy ships meet. at 10% we ensure they will find each other but at 0% we can guarantee some dudes are gonna pour their souls into the ultimate stealth ship without thinking through all the implications and someone somewhere is gonna end up with an infinite battle of two stealth ships speeding away from each other in opposite directions.

I think this is very much a case of all the people likely interested in 0% for stealth reasons should be fully capable of making the easy change to a custom setting. But all the people who would be adversely affected by the change will not necessarily know the cause and it will get harder for them to find as time goes on and this patch is not longer at the forefront of people's thoughts.
Thread Closed