Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
ProtecTech Industries store
2017-03-25, 09:37 PM
RE: ProtecTech Industries store
Hey, why should I calm down? Optimism is fine. Let a man dream! Your mod tools will still make modding available to more people, no? So things are good.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-03-26, 07:21 AM
(2017-03-25 09:37 PM)skratchR Wrote:  Hey, why should I calm down? Optimism is fine. Let a man dream! Your mod tools will still make modding available to more people, no? So things are good.

You're right, it's a good thing to be an optimism, I should try that sometimes... Wink
2017-03-27, 10:24 PM
Small feature request: could the block selection tool in the toolbox list the local coords of the blocks?

Thanks for continued awesomeness.

Poke my boat! help me improve & learn from my mistakes. Update - multiple tweaks - 22/3/17
2017-03-28, 07:22 AM
(2017-03-27 10:24 PM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  Small feature request: could the block selection tool in the toolbox list the local coords of the blocks?

Thanks for continued awesomeness.

Yes, it is possible.

May I ask why you need it?
I ask because there are 2 local coordinates, a thing call 'local position' and a thing calle 'array position'.
And that may be 'strange' for subconstructs, because they have their own local array (I don't really know how they manage their local position relative to the mainconstruct).

But once I know which one of the position to display it's possible and easy.
2017-03-28, 08:30 AM
It's for ease of reference for writing Lua which doesn't depend on index position, using the local block position relative to construct origin ( ie Block.LocalPosition ). Even if you do want to just hardcode array indexes it's extremely handy just to cross-reference a visual position with coords.

Poke my boat! help me improve & learn from my mistakes. Update - multiple tweaks - 22/3/17
2017-03-28, 09:18 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-03-28 10:05 AM by Gladyon.)
(2017-03-28 08:30 AM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  It's for ease of reference for writing Lua which doesn't depend on index position, using the local block position relative to construct origin ( ie Block.LocalPosition ). Even if you do want to just hardcode array indexes it's extremely handy just to cross-reference a visual position with coords.

OK, I'll add 'Block.LocalPosition' to the list for the next version.
I haven't thought about Lua, I just displayed the block on the dotted design to have a rough idea of its location, and anyway it's possible to jump on it by clicking on it while not in build mode.

Does this will be OK?
[Image: 52LhLVi.jpg]

About Lua, there's something I saw that the index of components are usually used to get them.
But, don't you have problems when a mainframe is destroyed? Doesn't it change the index of the mainframes that had an index greater that the one which has been destroyed?
2017-03-28, 11:07 AM
That's great, thanks. Yeah, lua indices (can) change when blocks are destroyed, which is one reason I want to hardcode block location & intermittently check what block is at what index. Unfortunately you can't do something sensible like look up a controller ID or similar, so block location it is & hopefully the origin stays put.

I should get round to looking at your extension API sometime... on the stack of "things to get round to doing" Confused

2017-03-28, 11:18 AM
About the Lua indices, I can see that it's really a major problem.
And knowing that the destroyed block isn't destroyed in FtD code, but just removed from the list you access, and put back on it (at the end...) when repaired must be very frustrating.
I wish there would be a name for each 'active' block, so that you'd just name them and then access them using their name. That would be super-easy and really powerful.

It's possible to add such a feature with modding, the only problem I have is how to enter the name of the block?
For some reasons I don't have access to all GUIs without re-writing some of them (which is out of question).
And even if I had access to all GUIs, there's no 'standard' place on the screen where I could put a box to enter the name. And having to move it for each block isn't a good idea considering the necessary work and the necessary modifications after each update.
I'll try to see if it is possible to know when a Block GUI is opened and to open a modal window if a key is pressed when such a GUI is open.

And after that of course, all the Lua functions will have to be duplicated...