Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Hickory self-smoke cannon
2016-01-12, 09:33 AM (This post was last modified: 2016-08-01 12:11 AM by Evil4Zerggin.)
Hickory self-smoke cannon
Hickory Mk II

[Image: x8UHiUe.jpg]

.blueprint  HickoryII.blueprint (Size: 41.37 KB / Downloads: 32)

Statistics

Cost: 175 resources
Blocks: 10
Cartridge: 200 x 400 mm smoke round
Barrel: 1 m with muzzle brake (L/5)
Rate of fire: 1 per 2.8 seconds (5.7 ammo/s)
Damage: ~0.4 after armour
Cartridge: Smoke Warhead, Propellant (10%)

Description

Improvements in control technology and propellant control have resulted in the Hickory Mark II. Replacing the expensive railgun of the Mark I with a undersized propellant charge, the Mark II is far less expensive than its predecessor and does not require an external battery supply. The cost of enough Mark IIs to sustain one smoke deployment per second is just 490 resources, making both its upfront and operating costs less than that of conventional smoke deployers.

Hickory Mk I

[Image: E1FSLXe.jpg]

Github: https://github.com/ajul/fromthedepths/bl...cannon.lua

.blueprint  SmokeCannon.blueprint (Size: 32.41 KB / Downloads: 58)

After several major sabotage incidents of key chemical manufacturers (likely at the hands of the Lightning Hoods), users of conventional smoke deployers were forced to resort to far less efficient fuel oil-based deployers. After this development, RedHex Industries (formerly E4Z Industries) saw an opportunity in the far cheaper smoke modules still being produced for artillery shells.

By attaching a low-power electrical system to a bare-bones "cannon" system, these smoke modules could be activated just a few meters from the muzzle of the cannon, providing smoke coverage on the firing vessel. Although the upfront cost of this "Hickory" system is several times greater than a conventional smoke deployer system of similar power, the operating costs are massively lower, and the potential smoke frequency for a given size greater. In addition to the cannon itself, Hickory also comprises a control system that automatically triggers the cannon when hostile vessels are detected in the vicinity.

Hickory was first deployed on the Acheron-class destroyer, another RedHex product. RedHex has provided this demonstration platform for the convenience of potential customers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-01-15, 11:06 AM
RE: Hickory self-smoke cannon
If anyone needed proof that players will always find a way to munchkin, this is it.
2016-01-15, 06:35 PM
Why thank you!
2016-01-16, 02:50 PM
Thi is big ones
2016-01-29, 10:16 PM
Couldn't you use a control block to trigger the cannons instead?
2016-01-30, 02:47 AM
Sadly, no---ACB fire only works if the current aim point is within the cannon's traverse range, even if you set the accuracy required to fire to "no limit". AFAICT it doesn't count turret rotation as traverse range for this purpose either.
2016-01-30, 04:10 AM
I presume there is no inherited velocity, so this is not a salvation for high-speed craft?

Allr andask.
2016-01-30, 04:25 AM (This post was last modified: 2016-01-30 04:31 AM by Evil4Zerggin.)
I hadn't tested/checked source code sufficiently (and I can't at this moment since I'm in the middle of switching desktops), but IIRC the source code seemed to imply that the cloud does indeed inherit velocity. (Might not apply to non-impact detonations.)

The flying shoebox pencil head yet lives?
2016-01-30, 06:01 AM (This post was last modified: 2016-01-31 06:51 PM by CitizenJoe.)
Thats kind weird. If i set a control block to make a weapon just fire whenever, i kinda expect it to be able to do exactly that, but w/e. As for the smoke inheriting velocity, it seems to work if you fire the smoke grenades right into into a solid surface with no fuse set; a setup you can do pretty easily on the inside of a craft. Haven't done any testing with super-high speed craft yet, so can't say whether it works 100%
2016-04-05, 09:23 PM
Pyrotech51 has informed us that ACB behavior has been fixed, so Lua is no longer necessary: http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...?tid=18663