Thread Rating:
  • 11 Votes - 5 Average
Flamethrower concept
2015-10-28, 07:52 PM
Flamethrower concept
I have created a concept of how flame-throwers could work/operate once implemented in the game. I've seen many people posting about wanting flame-throwers, but none regards to how they could work.

A few notes to bear in mind before criticism:

-->Flamers have high damage, but are short range so you must get in close to use them.
-->When I mention muzzle velocity it is because flames are affected by gravity and so the maximum range depends on this speed. If affected by drag, this would seriously decrease the range.
--> This is my first attempt. Anything which seems too weak/OP can be buffed/nerfed and I can work on the formulas.

[Image: fromthedepthsconcept_flamethrowers.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2015-10-28, 08:01 PM
RE: Flamethrower concept
Thats.... realy well thought out... I like it

[Image: BseTIqf.png?1]
2015-10-29, 10:29 AM
Thanks Smile
2015-10-29, 12:11 PM
There should probably also be an optional nozzle mount or 'Motor Nozzle' piece that allows the nozzle to aim up to 22.5 degrees on it's own, otherwise long range versions would be difficult to use.

My Builds
2015-10-29, 02:58 PM
I don't think drag would make any major difference since they'd have a range around the ballpark of 100m. But wind could make this weapon intresting and more dangerus for both your enemy and yourself, you wouldn't fire a flamethrower against the wind for the same reason you wouldn't piss against the wind.
2015-10-31, 11:44 PM
(2015-10-29 02:58 PM)ante185 Wrote:  I don't think drag would make any major difference since they'd have a range around the ballpark of 100m. But wind could make this weapon intresting and more dangerus for both your enemy and yourself, you wouldn't fire a flamethrower against the wind for the same reason you wouldn't piss against the wind.

I think flamethrower range caps out around 300m on real life vehicals, wind would be an interesting mechanic but I think the AI would have trouble with it

Gehm's corollary: Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced
2015-11-12, 12:47 AM
This sounds amazing, and with the resource overhaul it could actually be balanced. I want flamethrowers!

Nick Smart Wrote:Jesus what have I created
2015-11-12, 01:11 AM
LOVE IT

(2016-05-01 04:31 AM)Zahringen Wrote:  That name came back from Berthold I, The first Duke of Zahringen (zah-rin-gen), in his mighty Zahringen Castle in Germany.
never since the placing of the cornerstone of that castle in 1087 has it ever been butchered that bad.
2015-11-12, 07:17 PM
Bye bye Deepwater guard

Fire for effect
[Image: Xx28lJc.gif]
2015-11-13, 12:57 AM
I was going to come in and say that flamethrowers actually went out of style as a ship-to-ship weapon well before the ram did ("Fire ships" that simply explode did stick around a lot longer though... as a concept that was sometimes used, that is).

But you know what? This all looks reasonably nicely thought out, and its not like we don't already have unreasonable means of attacking in this game.

It might be best, however, to wait for the possibility of fires being either added (or decided against for good) to really work on adding this.

Your giant expensive powerful warship of doom can be destroyed by dropping an anvil on it. One day, I will finally have enough engines to actually make a ship without stopping to make more engines.