Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.63 Average
Spin Block Templates
2015-09-19, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 2016-02-28 12:59 AM by Mehve.)
Spin Block Templates
While this will hopefully be a little less of a concern once the fabled cannon overhaul makes an appearance, the black art of submerging large rotating assemblies inside structures remains a useful building skill. And having a template reference is a good alternative to awkwardly trying to build inside a hole and hoping it turns cleanly. I don't believe I've ever come across something like this, so I figured I'd throw it up in case anyone else finds it useful.

[Image: 4fmn8uX.jpg]

(Added Feb 27, 2016) Owing to reasons unknown - possibly demonic - just because a block setup rotates inside a shell, doesn't mean that the shell is able to freely rotate around that block setup. Demons, I tell you. Anyway, I threw together a similar reference for anyone who needs.

Of particular interest are the two smallest - if you've ever tried to make a turret rotate around a LWC/Wireless combo, and had trouble, now you know why. You need those extra gaps to make it happen.
[Image: adFyR3P.jpg]

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  SpinBlockTemplates.blueprint (Size: 173.27 KB / Downloads: 727)
.blueprint  InvertedSpinBlockTemplates.blueprint (Size: 64.5 KB / Downloads: 139)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2015-09-19, 06:56 PM
RE: Spin Block Templates
Useful, but for turrets, you could fit up to five barrels into a 3 by 3 grid, and i'm not really sure what would need more then that.

Do sloped blocks affect anything for this, or do they just look good? Also, any idea for making small casemate guns? I cant manage to make them not huge.
2015-09-19, 07:09 PM
Sloped blocks act like full blocks - They just look good. (I personally made this template for myself too! It never occurred to me to publish it) I do suggest you armor your turrets when possible.
2015-09-19, 07:12 PM
Very useful indeed, thanks for sharing this

[Image: EwYtNDC.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2015-09-19, 07:19 PM (This post was last modified: 2015-09-19 07:21 PM by Mehve.)
Edit: I updated the blueprint. The second-to-largest template worked in the blueprint, but I found it had two blocks out of place in a different, larger application.

It isn't the number of turrets that takes up space, but all the goodies needed to make them powerful. And of course, you need to make sure they don't accidentally connect to each other's blocks. Example: All this for one triple turret cannon. But they're serious cannons, and despite the tight fit, they rotate a full 360 degrees without obstruction.
[Image: wxZhJtA.jpg]

As far as small cannons are concerned, depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Because of the current cannon system, there's a minimum threshhold needed to get a gun up to maximum fire rate, have enough ammo to not run out in 10 seconds, plus any extra armor piercing or high explosive you'd like the bullets to have.

Sloped blocks are treated as full blocks where collision is concerned, unfortunately. They're main advantage is aerodynamic and cosmetic. That may change in the future, but it actually involves a fairly major change to the game's engine, so it won't be for quite some time.
2015-09-21, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 2015-09-21 08:41 AM by mech_romancer.)
I must be doing it wrong I tend to put all ammo below deck then where the turret meets the hullits a single 6way connected with alot of layers of metal on it? With multiple barrels its harder but I always try and keep it as few blocks where turret meets hull as possible as otherwise on weird shaped hulls it gets hard trying to have a big enough circle for what's below deck. And as survivability stands the turret still get killed before the 6way connecters do anyone know to stop that?

Also want to know about castemates Smile.

[Image: Xx28lJc.gif]

"I'll just lean into the hill until I crest it and can catch my breath on the descent." ~ unknown stranger on a comments section.
2015-09-21, 03:41 PM
This looks really useful. I'd been intending to do some tests on larger sized turret collision for a while now, but this should save a lot of time. Thanks. : )
2015-09-22, 01:54 PM
Thanks for sharing your work!
2015-09-22, 03:40 PM
This is really useful. I never realized that i used way more free blocks around the spinblocks then necessary.
(3x3 spinblock needs no free blocks at all? Who knew?)

The 11m spinblock (left side; middle) could be tighter, though. (Would look like the 9m spinblock.)
2015-09-22, 09:25 PM
Omg, we have a spinblock wizard! Rush would be so proud!

Seriously though, this is amazingly useful. Thanks for sharing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user